Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    I've recently discovered the joy of playing Dazzle. He's ridiculous fun, especially if you get teammates who are up for fast pushes. If it's a close game I get Scythe of Vyse, if we are smashing them I get Manta Style for the trolling factor. Three Dazzles are much better than one.

Yeah, Dazzle can be a great teammate.

I'm still playing Random most of the time, and I'd guess I've played at least half of the heroes by now. Maybe 2/3.

Obscure Node
    Can't say I'm a big fan of Dazzle, but I guess it's just taste.

I'd be interested in this. Any chance?

I really like Troll Warlord. Being able to toggle between ranged and melee is fun for me.

Obscure Node

Troll Warlord is OP!

Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I really like Troll Warlord. Being able to toggle between ranged and melee is fun for me.
    I don't know, for some reason I think Troll Warlord is a bit too OP and needs a nerf. Once he gets going there's really no stopping him.

The closest thing he has to an escape mechanism is switching to ranged and using his slow-effect axes, so I'm okay with him.

I'm bumming around doing Single Draft stuff at the moment to get a hang of the UI more without worrying too much about team composition. You end up with some total ass-backwards team setups with Single Draft, but it's surprisingly fun.

Single Draft is probably what I should try to get into playing against humans.

Obscure Node
    Good call, all pick sucks.

Network Hub
    Yeah, as someone who basically plays nothing but single draft i'd say it's the way to go if you're somewhat new to the game and/or intimidated by the community. The possible compositions that the draft spits out might be a bit painful at times, but i'd say it's still a great way to learn a nice variety of heroes - Especially since it tends to force you to move out of your comfort zone.

And since the composition of both teams is basically guaranteed to be completely bonkers you probably learn stuff like the individual powerlevel/'dangercurve' (as in 'whom to fear and when to fear them the most') of common and uncommon heroes a lot faster than you would in 'drowrangerrikiphantomlancer draft' (also known as all pick)

And even though i might imagine it... The folks in single draft (at least in the lower tiers of match making) seem to be a lot more relaxed and friendly than one might expect and it's actually fairly rare that one gets yelled at for not playing completely optimal - Less than 10% of my recent single draft games contained elitist jerks or the often feared "angry russian kid" stereotype and most people actually seemed about as confused as me. (Though i still get the feeling that i really, really should hop onto the RPS mumble at some point.)

Ah and when it comes to team compositions of the 'completely bonkers' variety: All Random can be utterly hilarious as well - And since the teams are basically bound to be even more imbalanced than in single draft it might actually be even more 'casual'. (You also get more gold at the start and it's possible to swap heroes with someone on your team - Queue times tend to be a bit longer, though)

Hey folks, I'm actually jumping over from RPS' Planetside 2 Department but as I have already spent 250 hours in Dota 2 I'd really like to chime in. I'm an average experienced player with a focus on support or nuking and so sick of flaming players an (non-English speaking players) unwilling to communicate. I'm basically looking for a team that won't start flaming and tearing each others limb of at the sight of every slightest mistake.

What left me a bit puzzled after skimming through this thread: do you guys have fixed time plans, teams, or something? I entered my data into google Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    Yeah, as someone who basically plays nothing but single draft i'd say it's the way to go if you're somewhat new to the game and/or intimidated by the community. The possible compositions that the draft spits out might be a bit painful at times, but i'd say it's still a great way to learn a nice variety of heroes - Especially since it tends to force you to move out of your comfort zone.
    Been playing since November, but exclusively with one or two friends on my team and against bots. I may try single draft, but honestly... part of my interest in the game is playing with a friend as a teammate. We've been comfortable with medium bots for months now, yet Hard is quite a bit tougher. We're reluctant to try partying and playing pvp, for fear of getting stomped. Heh.

Obscure Node
    I've never played DOTA or any of the "clones". But I'm thinking of giving it a go if you accept total newcomers. I'm a little confused though since it says it's free on Steam but at the same time it says I need to buy it in order to play now? Is it a beta-test kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedenius View Post
    I've never played DOTA or any of the "clones". But I'm thinking of giving it a go if you accept total newcomers. I'm a little confused though since it says it's free on Steam but at the same time it says I need to buy it in order to play now? Is it a beta-test kind of thing?
    It's very polished and playable for a "beta," but content is still being produced. Heroes & artwork are still being added, gameplay tweaks are being made on a patch-by-patch basis.

The confusion over a price is because the current ways to access the beta are by buying-in or having an invite gifted to you over Steam. I have a few myself, and I'm sure others do. We'd just need your steam handle or e-mail PM'd to us.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 08-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.

I've been playing this game for few weeks now. Which server does this group in? I'm playing from Indonesia, and just found out I can play in Europe and American server with a tolerable ping (200! no lag!). Looking forward to play with you guys.

I've been playing Silencer in all picks lately (SE Asia server is seriously lacking in any other game modes, thank God for the Australians). My impression is he is very lethal early game, and very much capable of first blood if coupled with stun heroes.
    -Harass your enemy with Glaive of Wisdom and Last Word, force them to use their skill and item early game.
    -Curse of the Silent on everyone, specially mana heavy heroes.
    -I havent tried him with a Refresher orb, the idea of 12 sec of Global Silence is very tempting to me.

That's my newbie impression of Silencer

Obscure Node
    'sup

Regarding beta invites, I have a bunch (about 15 of them) and no friends who are interested that don't already have access. If you want one or two, add me on Steam: ostronet.

If anyone are playing, I could be up for a game or two. The people with who I used to play casually have started playing competitive, and since I don't have near enough time nor skills to do that I'm looking for other folks to play with.

I'm mid-highish, 870 hours (!) clocked. I mostly do support. I like winning, but if victory can be achieved in some silly or bullshit way, even more so.

GMT+1 but unemployed. Shoot me a message on Steam if you're playing; my username is above.

Obscure Node
    I've had Dota2 for a while now but I haven't had many friends stick around to keep playing it with me so if anybody needs a fifth player add me on steam, under Tzefa or viper4007. I've played quite a bit of Dota back in the day but I'm probably rusty now

So I'd say I'm a blow average player atm

Also if you need a beta key I got two more laying around, just shoot me a message on steam or PM me

Obscure Node
    I've been Dota'ing for about a year; got 700ish matches under my belt and some experience with just about everyone. Win rate isn't great because I mostly play Random but I like to think of myself as competent with most heroes (Except Morph, Chen, Meepo & Nature's Prophet, with whom I suck horribly).

Always interested in playing some games that don't involve random people hurling abuse at me in foreign languages for no appreciable reason
    Last edited by Spad; 08-02-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Obscure Node
    Just added myself to the roster with steam ID 'Yellow_Racoon', have a bit of 1k DotA 2 games, some DotA before that. Available for casual and more competitive matches, and I'm always a fan of pubbing with a couple of persons. I'm available for games of any skill level, more so Yellow_Racoon is an account I made specifically such that I don't have to care about my matchmaking group. If anyone wants to play just pm me from the steam group.