Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I'm...I don't know how many games in. Are there stats for that? Maybe 10, 15? But I'd love to get into playing with you guys. Sometimes my net blows, but it's for fun, right?

steam id ozzyo98
    Last edited by Dave00; 09-02-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Well, Steam just dumped two dozen DotA 2s in my steam inventory. I think it`s trying to tell me something...

In any case, if you want a copy, just give me a shout (and a Steam name).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
    I'm...I don't know how many games in. Are there stats for that?
    Yes, left click your profile name in the main menu to see your Dota2 profile which holds various general stats and stats for each hero you played.

So is this game any good? With the death of DoW2 i've been solely relying on Blood Bowl for my multiplayer fix but am looking for something different. I don't like base building so that rules out 3/4 of the RTS market. This looked interesting and I vaguely remembered seeing it on the forums so thouht i'd get some first hand feedback

Obscure Node
    Ok...so 15 games, 3 wins. That's not very good. Last game I got yelled at because I kept getting KB's with my witch doctor (that I'd never played before). So far mostly what I've found is I'm not very good at all.

As far as "Is the game any good?" Yes...with caveats. Some heroes seem stupid overpowered, but I'm sure part of that's my inexperience as well. Bloodseeker and Lifestealer are the worst. Some heroes are very complicated or seem that way like the Invoker. There is no base building at all. There's item buying and base protecting, but you have no need to worry about whether you should build a barracks or a farm first. It also helps when you get the courier figured out. That took me entirely too many games to figure out. In the end, if you can find someone to give you a key (which shouldn't be a problem) you can get access to everything but cosmetic junk for free. Right away. So really, the only thing you'd be out is some time downloading and playing if you hate it.

Also-I haven't played LoL forever, but the people in Dota2 seem much more...decent. Is that generally the case or have I just been lucky?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    In terms of community, DotA>LoL>HoN, but that's kind of like saying Big Daddy>Happy Gilmore>Little Nicky. They're all shit.

Hello all, I'm a fairly high level Dota player, comfortable playing just about any role. However I also try to play the game without taking it too seriously, minimizing my rage wherever possible and trying to remember that at the end of the day it's only a game. Anyone else out there with a similar outlook who fancies hooking up for a few games? Add me on Steam: Utnac

Obscure Node
    I totally know what you mean about Bloodseeker seeming really strong, the trick when playing against him is to always carry a tp scroll with you after he hits level 6. That is because, unless you are very low on hp or he is ganking with a teammate, you can just tp back to base before he kills you.

As for Lifestealer the best way to deal with him is to just go and sit in his lane and harrass him back and disrupt his farming, when you are not needed elsewhere.
    Last edited by safewood; 10-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Lifestealer... Lane? Safewood is right though, what you need to do with Na'ix is shut down his farm as soon as possible, the same as any other carry. Also, Force Staff is your friend, and you can use Ghost Scepter to survive his magic immunity and stun him when it ends. Aside from that, all his Feast damage is physical, so buying armor can never hurt.

Obscure Node
    LS really ought to be played on the safe lane. While he works as a jungler he benefits a lot more from farming on lane. As a team you're generally (in the current meta at least) better of having LS filling the spot of lategame carry and letting someone else farm the woods.

Bloodseeker can be annoying, but in my experience the best thing against a BS is to gang up on him constantly. Landing a few stuns and nukes will kill him of easily and even if he pops his ulti on someone the idea is to have enough people around to cover the victim until the duration ends. Also he generally sucks in lategame. Just outfarm him.

This week, I made this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1q1cucJJXU

My MS paint drawings shall block out the sun

That's simply is the best thing I've watched today.

You are a genius

I just lost a medium bot match because Viper got fed and our Shadow Fiend went permanently AFK after reaching level 11. Seriously, why would you ever go AFK? Just leave the freakin' game so your teammates don't get screwed.

Also, I played Tusk. He's kind of interesting, though I don't know that he'll be a favorite of mine. His Snowball skill is pretty unique, bringing your nearby allies along to initiate on enemy targets. His Ice Shard skill deals damage in an impressive forward range, though I think its ability to trap targets is the most useful. Ice Sigil slows enemies nearby and can apparently be sent out like a normal summon (and killed). His Walrus PUNCH!! ultimate is cheap at 25 energy and a nice stun. It also deals extra crit damage to targets with less than 50% hp.

So, in short: probably an okay initiator and good in a team fight. I still prefer Troll Warlord or Slardar, though.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 19-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, new to DOTA although I have been playing practise bot matches and the occasional co-op bot match. If anyone would like to play some time or fancies trying to show me the ropes it would be much appreciated.

My Steam ID is wilfster70.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
    Ok...so 15 games, 3 wins. That's not very good. Last game I got yelled at because I kept getting KB's with my witch doctor (that I'd never played before). So far mostly what I've found is I'm not very good at all.

As far as "Is the game any good?" Yes...with caveats. Some heroes seem stupid overpowered, but I'm sure part of that's my inexperience as well. Bloodseeker and Lifestealer are the worst. Some heroes are very complicated or seem that way like the Invoker. There is no base building at all. There's item buying and base protecting, but you have no need to worry about whether you should build a barracks or a farm first. It also helps when you get the courier figured out. That took me entirely too many games to figure out. In the end, if you can find someone to give you a key (which shouldn't be a problem) you can get access to everything but cosmetic junk for free. Right away. So really, the only thing you'd be out is some time downloading and playing if you hate it.

Also-I haven't played LoL forever, but the people in Dota2 seem much more...decent. Is that generally the case or have I just been lucky?
    I've just started playing this game myself, despite having it sitting in my Steam library for months and months (which has resulted me in accumulating a whole load of beta invites, if anyone wants one.) I'm probably about 7 or 8 games in and I have also only won 3, but most of those were due to the majority of the other team leaving early on (raging quitting seems to be pretty common.)

The strange thing is that I don't feel as if I am too bad at it. There have a been a couple of games where I have really, really sucked with a particular hero (the Invoker game springs to mind,) but I am generally the player with the most last hits and the highest level in our team. I'm not sure whether there is something I'm doing wrong that the stats don't show, but I often feel as I'm doing the right things.

As for the game itself, it is quite good fun. I do wish that games would end slightly quicker once it has been decided though. I think a way to call a vote for surrendering would solve the issue and would also probably stop a lot of the rage quitting that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    I've just started playing this game myself, despite having it sitting in my Steam library for months and months (which has resulted me in accumulating a whole load of beta invites, if anyone wants one.) I'm probably about 7 or 8 games in and I have also only won 3, but most of those were due to the majority of the other team leaving early on (raging quitting seems to be pretty common.)
    Playing bots or humans? I really, really recommend that people begin playing on Easy bots with friends. Great going if you're doing okay VS humans, but I wouldn't want to potentially screw up my team. (maybe you don't, but I would have)

As for the game itself, it is quite good fun. I do wish that games would end slightly quicker once it has been decided though. I think a way to call a vote for surrendering would solve the issue and would also probably stop a lot of the rage quitting that happens.
    I think Valve is right in this issue. If we had a resign function, I think it would actually increase the ragequit factor. That may sound strange, but think about it. People would have an even easier time calling it a lost cause (in their opinion) than they do now. And since you could quit, they would. If their only option is sticking it out or ragequitting, they'll quit less. That's how I see it, anyway.

What the game does need is a votekick. I've had several bot losses due to AFKers lately. The worst part? They still get items and level progress* (despite none of that mattering, it's irksome).

*If I'm wrong on that, please correct me. I haven't tried AFKing myself.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Playing bots or humans? I really, really recommend that people begin playing on Easy bots with friends. Great going if you're doing okay VS humans, but I wouldn't want to potentially screw up my team. (maybe you don't, but I would have)

I think Valve is right in this issue. If we had a resign function, I think it would actually increase the ragequit factor. That may sound strange, but think about it. People would have an even easier time calling it a lost cause (in their opinion) than they do now. And since you could quit, they would. If their only option is sticking it out or ragequitting, they'll quit less. That's how I see it, anyway.

What the game does need is a votekick. I've had several bot losses due to AFKers lately. The worst part? They still get items and level progress* (despite none of that mattering, it's irksome).

*If I'm wrong on that, please correct me. I haven't tried AFKing myself.
    I've been playing Single Draft with real people. I started against bots, but it became quite frustrating trying to play with them. They would just wander around fairly randomly and I felt as if I would learn the game better with actual people. Playing co-op against bots would probably be the best starting place I suppose, but I do like the easier choice of three heroes that the Single Draft mode gives you (much safer then a completely random pick!). I have given out a couple of my free passes to friends, but not sure if it is the kind of game they would like to be honest.

As for the vote to surrender thing, you are probably right that rage quitting would still happen. I don't think it would increase the early quitting, but I do think it would stop the extra 10 minutes of play that can occasionally happen when you have just 1 or 2 towers left outside of your base and the average level of your team is 6 below that of the opposing team. It might just be the low level play I am currently in and people don't know how to finish it, but it does seem to drag on when you know you have lost for an unnecessary amount of time. Personally, I would say removing the two towers guarding the Ancient would probably solve it, as that is normally the point of no return, but I would imagine the DOTA community would be in uproar against such radical changes. It would probably also be good to alter the creep AI so it prioritises buildings over enemy heroes.

Edit: Reading your post again, I think you are misunderstanding my suggestion. I don't mean allowing individuals to resign, but the ability for someone to call a vote for the team to surrender. If 4 people say yes then the game ends and there is no punishment. I would imagine rage quitters would still leave if the vote fails, but at least the good sports would be able to concede properly.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 25-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Network Hub
    I might be wrong, but i think bot-matches handle AFKers differently? As far as i know AFKing for 2-5 Minutes actually counts as abandonment in regular matches (i'm guessing it's 5 - same as the abandonment status that kicks in when someone disconnects and doesn't reconnect for 5 minutes) and the match, in turn, gets flagged as safe to leave.

But AFKing seems to be more of a "bot-match thing", since i haven't seen a single AFKer in roughly 60-70 real matches - Plain old disconnects/abandonments on the other hand? Lots... But i've heard that's more of a low-tier matchmaking issue and gets better the more you play. So i guess it's just something one has to bear with for a while. And it actually can be quite entertaining to try to win an abandoned match - Just had one yesterday where i've ended up in a 2v4 situation with a complete stranger 5 Minutes into the match and we actually managed to win by outfarming them and keeping a gank-heavy map presence for 30 or so minutes. Might not count for the win/loss ratio, but it was so... much... fun!

Ah and while i consider myself a proponent for learning with bot matches i do have to bring up one problem that it might cause: "the ignorance is bliss" effect - The people one usually gets matched up for the first 10 or so matches are usually really, really bad at the game, and the more one knows about it the more painful it is to watch. I learned with bot matches for a while and was utterly scared of joining real matches... And when i felt prepared, yet feared the worst... i got to watch people relentlessly auto-attack creeps, suicide at the enemie's tower at level 1 repeatedly, 4 people going mid, etc.

But not doing those bot matches in private lobbies or via the practice mode and doing them in co-op versus bots instead might lead to different results? I have no idea if those have any effect on matchmaking and/or the skilllevel of the account whatsoever. Wasn't even aware that they gave items and account levels untill now. (not that it matters, since matchmaking completely ignores the account level anyway.) But even though the bots in dota 2 are actually fairly decent at murdering you i do have to say that bot matches play completely different from regular matches in most cases and i can understand why some people say that bot matches teach bad habits. Laning against bots is so different from laning against real people that it's not even funny.

i think once you progress up in the matchmaking ranks, those ragequitters tend to become rarer. also some game modes like single draft, in my experience, contain less ragey people. a good tip with "already decided game" feeling like less of a wasted time is try to improve YOUR play, understand that youre at least learning something new about the heroes, items, whatnot. theres always something to learn even of youre loosing horribly.
    Last edited by grasskit; 26-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    I might be wrong, but i think bot-matches handle AFKers differently? As far as i know AFKing for 2-5 Minutes actually counts as abandonment in regular matches (i'm guessing it's 5 - same as the abandonment status that kicks in when someone disconnects and doesn't reconnect for 5 minutes) and the match, in turn, gets flagged as safe to leave.
    AFAIK, co-op bot matches don't do anything to players unless they disconnect.

Ah and while i consider myself a proponent for learning with bot matches i do have to bring up one problem that it might cause: "the ignorance is bliss" effect - The people one usually gets matched up for the first 10 or so matches are usually really, really bad at the game, and the more one knows about it the more painful it is to watch. I learned with bot matches for a while and was utterly scared of joining real matches... And when i felt prepared, yet feared the worst... i got to watch people relentlessly auto-attack creeps, suicide at the enemie's tower at level 1 repeatedly, 4 people going mid, etc.
    Good. > I've been playing co-op vs bots exclusively (with at least 1 friend) for about 3 months now. So, this gives me hope for when I get around to playing real games.

But not doing those bot matches in private lobbies or via the practice mode and doing them in co-op versus bots instead might lead to different results? I have no idea if those have any effect on matchmaking and/or the skilllevel of the account whatsoever. Wasn't even aware that they gave items and account levels untill now. (not that it matters, since matchmaking completely ignores the account level anyway.) But even though the bots in dota 2 are actually fairly decent at murdering you i do have to say that bot matches play completely different from regular matches in most cases and i can understand why some people say that bot matches teach bad habits. Laning against bots is so different from laning against real people that it's not even funny.
    I think co-op vs bots is the way to go for initially learning the game, getting competent with heroes and overall mechanics. That way, you're not really wasting anyone's time or screwing with their record. There are enough bad co-op bot players as it is, so I can only imagine how horrible it would be if they were in real games.

I will agree with you that playing bots won't do much good for learning how to ward, avoid player gank tactics, etc. It improves overall hero & overall proficiency, though, which is what I think most new players need the most.

Another nice thing is that co-op bot matches tend to be reliable lengths. I may not have the time to risk a pvp game going for over an hour, compared to a bot match ending in 30-50mins tops. Once I make the jump to "real" games, I may not want to go back. For now, though, co-op bot is fun enough with a buddy or two. Plus, if I have to walk away for a second, it's not a huge deal. I really hate that DotA2 requires my full attention for an hour at a time. That can be tough to manage in adult life (which is why I dislike MMOs).
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.