Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Everytime I've soloqueued since it was implemented in the game I've had shit players, ragers and leavers mostly on my team but also on the opposing team. I dunno if I was just unlucky but I've had like 10 games and each one was shit.

Network Hub
    Been playing alot of 2 people queues recently, sometime in the last week they really seem to have broken MM, I've had a string of games when I play with my friend who is about equal skill level where our team just seem like either brand new players or complete idiots. We've won a number of these games literally because the enemy had similar skilled players and it seems I can feed off them enough to carry it, I'm not saying the match wasn't even... but wow it wasn't much fun for 3 quarters of the players.

I think whats happened is they have relaxed the max skill and min skill parings, has anyone else experienced this?

Infact now I think on, we had one the other day where the Dark Seer on our team said "my first game sorry, whats a ward" when he was asked if he could grab a set. We helped him out and he played ok tbh; some nice wall placements but I'm not sure he needs the match up we got, it was a High tier game apparently o.O

I haven't had any terrible teammates lately, but I have had jerks. Part of it was me being a bit timid in my Slardar play, but the way they went about it was completely wrong. I don't know about you guys, but being asked "do u know how to play this game?" and told I'm "a pussy" is not the best way to motivate me.

The truth is that I'd been playing a lot of supports lately, so I was being too far back. Beyond that, I wasn't used to having a pretty good Omniknight on my team, so diving towers was doable instead of a bad move. Anyway, I told the guy to stop attacking his teammates and start treating them like human beings. Complaints about my complaints ensued.

Regardless, after someone else actually spelled out what they wanted from me, I started being a suicidal initiator and our team fights seemed to work pretty well as a result. I continued to praise our teammates for good plays, etc, as the game went on. Nobody else did.

Bottom line: Instruction and encouragement are so much more effective than insults.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Been playing alot of 2 people queues recently, sometime in the last week they really seem to have broken MM, I've had a string of games when I play with my friend who is about equal skill level where our team just seem like either brand new players or complete idiots. We've won a number of these games literally because the enemy had similar skilled players and it seems I can feed off them enough to carry it, I'm not saying the match wasn't even... but wow it wasn't much fun for 3 quarters of the players.

I think whats happened is they have relaxed the max skill and min skill parings, has anyone else experienced this?

Infact now I think on, we had one the other day where the Dark Seer on our team said "my first game sorry, whats a ward" when he was asked if he could grab a set. We helped him out and he played ok tbh; some nice wall placements but I'm not sure he needs the match up we got, it was a High tier game apparently o.O
    Valve and its fanboys will never admit it but dota2's matchmaking is the most inefficient I've played yet compared to not just hon/lol but any game you care to mention with matchmaking.

And valve's deliberately secretive approach makes it hard to understand why the mm seems so skewed so often.

Dear Santa Claus/Jesus/Superman/Gabe, for Christmas I ask nothing more but more even teams, less turkish stacks in my team who will not speak english even accidentally, and better matchmaking in general. Please. It hurts.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Valve and its fanboys will never admit it but dota2's matchmaking is the most inefficient I've played yet compared to not just hon/lol but any game you care to mention with matchmaking.

And valve's deliberately secretive approach makes it hard to understand why the mm seems so skewed so often.
    You sir have a very rose tinted memory of HoN and LoL match making, maybe they improved after I left but wow... especially HoN, there was an "e-celeb" in the HoN community famous for manipulating the MMR value so that he got newer players he could troll on stream...

I'm happy with MMR not being public and I think until recently it was ok, its just that they allow too much of a range now; it's like the MM system would happily put Dendi on a team with a new starter vs a load of "ok" players and call it a fair game... the new starter might feed a little but Dendi would wipe the floor in anything but a "Highest" tier match, tbh I've seen a few friends get hammered hard by him in "highest" tier anyway..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stat padding/boosting is a problem across any MM system. If you think DotA2 doesn't have smurfs, you're sorely mistaken. As HoN is the closer game system wise, its MM was a straight up MMR matchup and keeping it as close as possible. It was pretty straightforward to understand why people were matched up in a particular game and if anyone boosted to a level they didn't belong they dropped down pretty fast. They've implemented some good ideas to tackle smurfs but you can only do so much before you start affecting the entire player base.

That aside, its more frustration at DotA2's mm over the last few months. I'm guessing Valve made some changes as the player pool has grown quite a bit over the last few months and whatever they've implemented isn't quite working as they thought. Definitely feel that they need to add more "range" categories. If its just three that's silly.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Stat padding/boosting is a problem across any MM system. If you think DotA2 doesn't have smurfs, you're sorely mistaken. As HoN is the closer game system wise, its MM was a straight up MMR matchup and keeping it as close as possible. It was pretty straightforward to understand why people were matched up in a particular game and if anyone boosted to a level they didn't belong they dropped down pretty fast. They've implemented some good ideas to tackle smurfs but you can only do so much before you start affecting the entire player base.

That aside, its more frustration at DotA2's mm over the last few months. I'm guessing Valve made some changes as the player pool has grown quite a bit over the last few months and whatever they've implemented isn't quite working as they thought. Definitely feel that they need to add more "range" categories. If its just three that's silly.
    I can guarantee Smurf's in DotA2 get found out reasonably quickly, I tested it and within 4 games it had me back in high tier reasonably regularly and less games where I was clearly out classing the enemy, that said; of course they exist still, theres an unlimited amount of accounts you can make so they can do 3 games, remake the account etc.

Stat boosting wouldn't have alot of point in DotA2 because there's no publicly accessible MMR figure like there was in HoN, I really doubt there's 3 skill brackets, I know they only show 3 skill brackets but realistically behind the scenes I'd imagine they are divided up into at least another 3 each (ie 9 brackets). From playing with multiple tiers of skilled players I can attest to that.

I think you hit it on the head with the range thing tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Bottom line: Instruction and encouragement are so much more effective than insults.
    I try to play by this rule and I wish it was true, but I honestly see no empirical evidence in my Dota 2 experiences that it is. Jerks will always be jerks and find a way to twist your words or play the fool, and it is only ever so often you come across a noob (I'm relatively inexperienced as well) that will take well meant advice instead of cussing you out.

Maybe that's why pubbers don't know how to handle me, then. If I'm not performing up their expectations in some way, my rational responses like "Let me know what you'd prefer me to be doing" usually just stir up further insult. Saying things like "Please stop attacking your teammates and focus on working together" have gotten me curt responses like "no" or "stop being a pussy" in chat.

So, yeah... In the end, I just try to ask what they want, accommodate that (if it's not boneheaded), and continue to praise teammates for good plays. They usually shut up after that.

It probably shouldn't surprise me after being on the internet for so many years, but it's sad that most people don't treat others like human beings. Instead, it's more like "you're ruining this experience FOR ME and that gives me license to question your playing ability, sexuality and/or mother's fidelity."

I mean, really... If they were on a real team for another sport, would their first response to an under-performing teammate be as harsh? It's all making me wish the internet had some method of delivering punches to the face. Anonymity is bad in this respect, and reporting is a weak means of accountability. Oh well, though, right? "It gets better?" Heh.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 21-08-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Exactly, I am still feverishly trying to become rich by inventing a device that lets you punch other people in the glockenschpiel through their anonymous screens and lobbying for legislation that demands its implementation in every computer screen. So far it hasn't been working out.

I wasn't paying attention in a game yesterday where I played Nyx. Top-lane Juggernaut towerdives and spins back out and goes invis. I assumed he had bought Shadow Blade and just stood there while another bloke in the lane goes "stun dumbass noob". So I try a stun and voila! Turns out he only had the stealth/fade item required for Shadow Blade. I apologized and explained I thought Jugger had a SB, but PA continued to scrutinize my every move during the game. My score of 9/4/32, with more than double the assists of any other player on the team and letting carries take the kills, seemed to be irrelevant to our victory according to this guy. You can play the best game in the world, but unfortunately it's really easy for others to take the fun out of it and try to discredit you whenever they have an inkling they don't like you.

It is so rare to come across a player that is friendly, knowledgeable, appreciative and desiring to learn that I almost get a geek-crush on them. I think I've only befriended 2 or 3 random people on Steam in several months of playing Dota. Even compared to the unpromising demographics of your average MMO, that's poor. I love Dota as a game, but it really is that bad when you're forced to solo queue.
    Last edited by Battlehenkie; 22-08-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    It is so rare to come across a player that is friendly, knowledgeable, appreciate and desiring to learn that I almost get a geek-crush on them. I think I've only befriended 2 or 3 random people on Steam in several months of playing Dota. Even compared to the unpromising demographics of your average MMO, that's poor. I love Dota as a game, but it really is that bad when you're forced to solo queue.
    I think one of the issues is that with MOBA games the communities are so bad and aggressive that anyone remotely nice or normal will just keep quiet for fear of drawing the ire of the trolls in their team on them.

I had a game last night where the enemy Alchemist tried the ancients + acid trick and unfortunately it didn't go to plan as I ran in and nicked them all with Rubick (stole his acid and took them, meaning he basically did nothing for the first 6 minutes of the game), anyway his team mate raged so hard at him I ended up reporting his team mate for being a giant flamer / troll. One of his team stuck up for him and the troll started raging at him too...

i find that the moment someone starts at least slightly irritating me, i just mute. seems to be working out fairly well so far.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Do you people not use the mute button? I use it liberally. I have no patience to deal with morons. Instant mute. Three lines of voice/text is my max limit for idiots. I dont understand why you would let someone else ruin your mood when there's a perfectly good ignore system in place.

My rant in the previous page was about the draft. The players were fine.

If people are being really abusive or mic-spamming, I mute them. I've done it a handful of times, but not often. On the other hand, people are often trying to get decent points across and are just being stupid or jerky about it. I'm okay with dealing with that, if only to heap hot coals of kindness onto their head in response.

I've actually [never] muted or blocked anyone on forums. (outside of spammers) Cutting off communication just isn't something I like to do very often, though I'll admit I'm erring on the optimistic side.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 22-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Wow. My experience has been pretty good so far with the game, not nearly as bad as you guys it seems. I was expecting leavers, raging people and all that when I first got it, but I've had very little actual flaming going on. Of course, there have been a few, but not nearly as many as I was told there were going to be. Maybe it's my region or skill bracket. Who knows?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In fairness, DotA 2's community is comfortably the most chilled out across the MOBAs and FPS games. The main difference is that Valve create systems to reward good behaviour as opposed to punishing bad behaviour - which they do anyway - which is what every other game does. Its infinitely more effective.

Valve have been very good at removing negative elements. They managed to do this with the L4D games and TF2 as well. They clearly have a proven process and they adapted it for DotA 2 as well. It doesn't remove the morons but it does mean they stand out more. But i've been gaming online since the mid 90s. I have a very well developed idiot/troll radar and simply mute people once they cross my three strikes limit.

I would agree. I've been gaming for about the same time, and while Dota2's trolls are some of the worst I've met in a while, I would say that there really haven't been too many of them. I know why people do it -- it does suck when you think your game may be 'ruined' by one bad player.

Obscure Node
    I think, even with the terrible people in DotA2, it's far more inviting and fun than League of Legends, especially since DotA2 doesn't really have a strictly enforced meta like LoL does.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Riot/Tencent's approach to balancing and e-sports is a complete and utter joke.