Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I had been wondering why so many teammates had been going Nyx and insisting on mid lately. (with mostly poor results)

Then I caught a quick bot match yesterday and randomed Nyx. His top-rated build is a solo mid guide. That explains things... :\

In competitive scenarios he usually gets placed as a 4 slot secondary support because his stun is awesome and he doesn't really need that much farm to get stuff done, however in Pubs hes regularly run mid, he's a competent mid tbh his spells give him good tools and Spiked Carapace should make him almost impossible to kill 1v1. Also vs general pub players lvl 6 secures you a definite kill, maybe 2 on another lane.

There is a skill to playing Nyx though, alot of people fail thinking his ulti is an i-win button.

I can see his viability mid, but nobody's been playing him well in my games. They seem to be doing it because guide. (and tend to be Russian) It also burns my britches when people insist on taking him mid when we already have someone like QoP.

Nyx mid isn't too bad. The bottle he'll (hopefully) end up getting will be very useful due to poor mana pool, he can trade hits with most of other mid heroes thank's to spiked carapace and he needs levels (read: vendetta) to be very dangerous to unsuspecting foes. Of course, if someone better to mid is available, he makes a good support.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Nyx's caparace is up there with the most OP skills in the game. Everyone is waiting for the nerf, probably it'll be deactivated after the first hit.

And next in line will be weaver.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Nyx's mana burn has a 4 second cooldown at max level, which can be pretty hilarious vs. certain INT mids.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Nyx's mana burn has a 4 second cooldown at max level, which can be pretty hilarious vs. certain INT mids.
    Can be hard to keep the mana up yourself if your spamming it though.

Pugna, OD and Skywrath are all hilarious with his mana burn though

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This was two, maybe three years ago but I remember it to this day. A friend and me ran a Zeus+Pugna lane in DotA1 for kicks. Most hilarious shit ever.

DECRIP!
    BOLT!
    BLAST!
    CHAIN!

We ran around the map just annihilating everything. I love Pugna.

Activated Node
    I had been wondering why so many teammates had been going Nyx and insisting on mid lately. (with mostly poor results)

Then I caught a quick bot match yesterday and randomed Nyx. His top-rated build is a solo mid guide. That explains things... :\
    Play Nyx mid

Farm Blink Dagger

Initiate on everyone and everything

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    This was two, maybe three years ago but I remember it to this day. A friend and me ran a Zeus+Pugna lane in DotA1 for kicks. Most hilarious shit ever.

DECRIP!
    BOLT!
    BLAST!
    CHAIN!

We ran around the map just annihilating everything. I love Pugna.
    I'm currently loving my Pugna mid games, its especially nice when I had a Lina support on another lane recently... Decrep + Blast + Laguna Blade, gg.

I'll try Nyx mid when I get the chance, but it's just been discouraging to see every player in my rank going that route w/ the build and not doing much.

Obscure Node
    My favourite at the moment is Silencer, whether mid or lane, so easy to force people out of the lane

Silencer is one of my faves. Any advice on how to be more effective with his ultimate?

I had a tough lane match yesterday as Sven versus Necrolyte and a glaive-build Luna. So much harass and degen aura. I ended up dying several times in the first 15 minutes, but at least each time was getting my stun off and setting up at least a trade of deaths with the enemy. A Rubick ally was also in-lane with me, but we couldn't do much until mid was free to come gank.

Obscure Node
    Silencer is one of my faves. Any advice on how to be more effective with his ultimate?

I had a tough lane match yesterday as Sven versus Necrolyte and a glaive-build Luna. So much harass and degen aura. I ended up dying several times in the first 15 minutes, but at least each time was getting my stun off and setting up at least a trade of deaths with the enemy. A Rubick ally was also in-lane with me, but we couldn't do much until mid was free to come gank.
    To be really effective, communication with team members is the key. Otherwise I find it usefull to use either mid Team fight depending on their nukes, to give us the upper hand, or to stop enemy combos.

Rubick has been the only one to cause me any issues, but that was only after he got his spell stealing ability.

Network Hub
    A common mistake I see with silencer's is to use the mana burn dot as harass then hang around... if your going to make the enemy cast a spell don't give him a useful target... make Skeleking stun that creep or whatever but don't hang around letting him use it on you

Deadly: I'd say as Sven being up against double ranged is always going to be an issue, a good gank will help there and if you can keep lane control so that your under your tower (or even behind it ideally) that will help lots; get your ally to pull the camp for you (not a single pull though or it will push the lane, you need a stacked pull), the Luna will actually be helping you here though as glaive build is a natural lane pusher, try to get your ally to deny her (with the aura its very hard though) and call for ganks. Only other tip I can give in this situation is keep an eye out with your ally to see if Luna steps out of place, if your by your tower and she steps in range to get a cheeky last hit as theres not many creeps left a quick lift, pull past the tower, fade bolt, storm hammer could well net you a kill.

At lvl 6 your in a world of trouble though vs that lane.

Another possibility if your super confident is that Rubick on radiant can deny entire creep waves and get farm himself with a trick on the hard camp (you pull the hard creep over the ledge and pull the lane creeps to help you jungle the entire jungle), that does leave Sven alone but it gets him lots of XP and the enemy creeps will push into lane, if Sven then aggro's the creeps and runs right back with them they should end up out of tower range between tier 2 and 3 towers, the enemy offlane will get nothing.

Good points. We were Sven & Rube on the Dire hard lane, for some reason, so that ruled out the easy pulling alternatives. It wasn't the best lane arrangement, but that's pub life.

I stopped feeding once our ganks got up and running, and my deaths weren't as big of a deal since they were usually trades. Well, that, and I was going support Sven instead of carry. So, I eventually got my Drums, AC, and kept using that aoe stun in teamfights. We were able to push out a win, despite the best efforts of our useless Russian DK.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 13-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Another of those stupid games. Playing as Nyx 60 minutes with 4 carries with dedalus bkb and mom each, around 40 wards bought, dust for enemy carry, a couple of smokes and courier since minute 1. Left all farm from lane to Kunkka, roamed midgame and warded, warded, warded.

Harrassed all game, blamed for teamfights, screamed at, insulted on mic, laughed at items, asked for wards because "me no support". We pulled it off in the last minute after I diverted their only carry from the teamfight and stunned with caparace. 0 commends.

Fuck support.
    Last edited by pakoito; 14-09-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If you're expecting commends as a support you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    If you're expecting commends as a support you're doing it wrong.
    - Enemy carry too farmed? Your fault.
    - No wards at bot 4 minutes in while you're babysitting your carry top? Your fault.
    - The carry you're trying to babysit overextends and dies? Your fault.
    - Ask your teammate playing a support hero but pretending to be ganker or carry to help with wards? HOW DARE YOU.
    - Hint to your carries that they're playing too aggressive? YOU DIDN'T GO IN WITH ME 2V4 USELESS SUPPORT.

Sadly it often works out like this, especially in elo hell, and STILL I like playing support so much more than anything else. I don't know what the appeal is behind everyone always picking carries (big numbers on the kill ticker I presume). Even if you get a commend, it's probably for being friendly.. while good supports are usually the leader pushing their team to victory.

To pakoito, I would commend you alone for playing Nyx and not going dagon build in your pub.

I went pushstick. Still to play the wardbitch there are better heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    - No wards at bot 4 minutes in while you're babysitting your carry top? Your fault.
    This is the only one I'd say that could be your fault as a support, actually. Babysitting doesn't mean you can't find farm. Learn the art of stacking and pulling (or double-pulling). Your carry will have easier time to farm and you'll get something out of it too. Win-win.