Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Do you have some kind of organized game nights or something? And if so, are new players welcome to come?

Network Hub
    The guys I play with play almost every night, we do in house games on a weekend usually if we can get 10 together, more are always welcome... currently there's a pretty big skill divide in the games and we try to balance it out so some of the newer players are on both sides. This weekend we'll be playing our decider though as we're 1-1 with MLJ (Major League Jokers) in a tourni losers bracket.

On week nights we end up just queuing unless we can get enough to do a TMM game.

If you are literally brand new though I've seen another topic on these forums advertising a beginners group that will help you learn and play with people your skill (which ultimately should make it more fun).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    Do you have some kind of organized game nights or something? And if so, are new players welcome to come?
    Is this your DotaBuff? http://dotabuff.com/players/66349456

If so then your probably ahead of some of the people in our games so you'd fit in fine as long as your friendly and not a flamer

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Is this your DotaBuff? http://dotabuff.com/players/66349456

If so then your probably ahead of some of the people in our games so you'd fit in fine as long as your friendly and not a flamer
    No, that's not me. By new I mean "installed the game 2 days ago-new". But thanks, I guess I'll check out the other thread.

Network Hub
    No, that's not me. By new I mean "installed the game 2 days ago-new". But thanks, I guess I'll check out the other thread.
    No worries, feel free to join us but you may well find it alot more fun with people more your skill level in the group mentioned in the other thread From what I read they seemed to have a fairly active group going on.

Also check out DotaCinema for some good guides (youtube) and XVRogueGaming (youtube again) for some more advanced stuff from the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Did you poof well with Meepo? Its a stupidly powerful spell.
    I only took one chance to use it in a fight, but it did some damage and saved my tail from being ganked.

Well, if you pick it up like you did Tribes, you'll be fine. Hello again, btw!

Also check out DotaCinema for some good guides (youtube) and XVRogueGaming (youtube again) for some more advanced stuff from the same guy.
    Yes, Poppis--this! I was just watching a few DotaCinema vids yesterday, a I need to learn how to pull creeps reliably. I'm sure there are other useful videos out there, but this one from DC seems like a good series for learning. Their "DotA 2 Mythbusters" series is also nice for when you're already familiar with many heroes and mechanics, as it clears up some misconceptions players may have. (or usually what spells do or don't interact or conflict with each other)

Network Hub
    Meepo's poof is hilarious lol, I have a friend who is a decent Meepo, he buys a blink dagger... I was totally dumbfounded until I realised what he does...

Queue up every meepo to "poof" to the main Meepo.... Blink to unsuspecting enemy hero.... Goodbye enemy hero.

Seeing 20-1 Meepo's in games is hilarious Especially when he has Agh's and a heart... unkillable meepo ftw! (Generally in higher level play Meepo isn't used much as he's highly counterable btw).

Meepo's poof is hilarious lol, I have a friend who is a decent Meepo, he buys a blink dagger... I was totally dumbfounded until I realised what he does...

Queue up every meepo to "poof" to the main Meepo.... Blink to unsuspecting enemy hero.... Goodbye enemy hero.
    Ohh, I get it. Since it does damage at both point A and B, you may be able to double it up in certain situations. Totally gimmicky, I agree, but that sounds really fun. (and evil)

//edit//

Woohoo -- I finished with my last heroes! Bane was pretty decent and my Invoker game went really well, too. I went with a QW heavy build that mostly used Tornado and EMP. He's ridiculously fast with that, and I'm sure it's not great for every situation, but the constant disabling felt pretty amazing for our team setup. That, and I could run pretty much anywhere in around 10 seconds...
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 22-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bane's ulti goes through bkb btw. It doesn't do any damage but it still holds and leeches mana. And his sleep can save allies but it has to be timed really well. The sleep is invulnerable for the first second and allows denies too. However, nothing is funnier than watching a six item carry run around with 30 dmg; enfeebled is too fucking good.

Great hero.

recently played tinker. pushing lanes 24/7. his combo is ridiculous, march - rearm - march - BoT to fountain - rearm -BoT to lane, rince repeat. much fun was had.

Played three games with some RPS folk on the mumble server today. I was feeling how out of my league I was, having queued with 100-400+ win allies, but it was fun to see how the other half plays.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Played three games with some RPS folk on the mumble server today. I feeling how out of my league I was, having queued with 100-400+ win allies, but it was fun to see how the other half plays.
    Try playing Lich for a few games when you start playing with people, concentrate on positioning during the laning phase (yours and theirs). Playing with humans is much more about the finesse elements of the game (i.e. being 50 units out of position is likely to get you killed).

Try playing Lich for a few games when you start playing with people, concentrate on positioning during the laning phase (yours and theirs). Playing with humans is much more about the finesse elements of the game (i.e. being 50 units out of position is likely to get you killed).
    I felt like I was doing fine when queueing on my own, but it's like starting all over again when I'm paired up with 300-500 win teammates and opponents. Oh well. The RPS guys were very patient with me and I seemed to do okay for all the more experience I had. (which, at this point, is mostly trying not to feed)

I'll definitely try safer heroes when playing out of my league, but then be more adventurous in my own queue.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I felt like I was doing fine when queueing on my own, but it's like starting all over again when I'm paired up with 300-500 win teammates and opponents. Oh well. The RPS guys were very patient with me and I seemed to do okay for all the more experience I had. (which, at this point, is mostly trying not to feed)

I'll definitely try safer heroes when playing out of my league, but then be more adventurous in my own queue.
    Out of interest, now you've played every hero at least once, which were your favourites and how come?

Out of interest, now you've played every hero at least once, which were your favourites and how come?
    Embarrassingly, it's tough to remember after ~4 months of slowly playing through them.

Glancing across the game's hero grid, I'd say Heroes I enjoyed were (top left to bottom right): Sven, Huskar, Brewmaster, Clockwerk, Treant, Tusk, Mirana, Riki, Templar, Bounty Hunter, Naga Siren, Troll Warlord, Puck, Storm Spirit, Windrunner, NP, Silencer, Disruptor, Chen, Keeper, Pudge, Slardar, Doom, Viper, Clinkz, Weaver, Spectre, Nyx, Slark, Lich, Lion, Witch Doctor, Enigma, Dazzle, Dark Seer, Ancient Apparition, Invoker (surprisingly)

That's kind of a big list. If I had to pick go-to fun heroes, I'd say Clinkz, Troll Warlord, Pudge, Slardar, Silencer, Keeper and Disruptor as a start. It's really hard for me to pick with so many heroes.

Picking heroes I didn't enjoy playing might be more concise: Morphling, Tinker, Shadow Demon, Batrider, Medusa, Queen of Pain, Tiny. Most of those are heroes I've played more than once and still don't like, which is why Morphling is my first one listed. I just don't do well with him.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The list you don't like are heroes that require timing, patience, positioning and a fair bit of micro. Not easy to learn and even harder to master. All of those heroes are competitive tier for a reason (Except Medusa).

Believe me when I say persevere with them, if you can go from shit to competent with them it improves your play across the board for all heroes in terms of fundamental play; positioning in particular.

You're probably right.

Part of me would like to put more time in and get better at difficult heroes. The rest of me, however, naturally resists the idea of putting extra time in to get better or competitive at a game. Consequently, I think that's DotA 2's biggest problem -- the skill bar required and the in-game reaction to the lack of it (perceived or actual). I'm not really at a stage of life where I care about being competitive. Ain't nobody got time for that, or something. I just want to have fun with some folks and not drag down a team. Then again, I don't really care about tourneys, guilds/clans, rank or prestige items, etc.

It's clear to me that it may sound odd for me to post this in here, but that's pretty much how I feel. It's fun and I like the game, but there's only so much time or caring I can throw at it before things become less fun. Ten years ago might have been another story, but such is life, and my gaming tastes seem to be changing on their own.

*None of this is toward you guys. The RPS Mumble guys were great and I really do appreciate the constructive criticism from the forum. I'm just kind of throwing my thoughts out there.

I'll queue up without being in over my head and see if the frustration goes away.
    That might be part of it. Chances are that even my most mediocre performances could be enough for me to advance in both skill and matchmaking.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Network Hub
    That's a sentiment I share, deadly.by.design. I feel like there's this aura around LPGs that says "if you don't devote X hours learning and playing, you're just wasting everyone's time." Perhaps unranked matches are the way to go to avoid that, or perhaps if there were a way to mark your account so that you only ever match with other dilettantes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    If I had to pick go-to fun heroes, I'd say Clinkz, Troll Warlord, Pudge, Slardar, Silencer, Keeper and Disruptor as a start. It's really hard for me to pick with so many heroes.
    Carries, pudge and IMBA of the Light. Yes, you are still a beginner and gravitate towards star roles :P

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Carries, pudge and IMBA of the Light. Yes, you are still a beginner and gravitate towards star roles :P
    Not sure why KOTL is a star role...