Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post

The first game was All Random with me as Doom. Nobody else would buy wards, etc, so I did it... and ended up a bit gimped between that and my less-than-stellar Doom abilities. One of our guys left, but they had 5. My second was with Puck, and both teams had a leaver. The downside is that our disconnector was the carry. :\ I do great at getting Puck in and to do damage, or just getting away, but not so great at doing both. I need to work on the phase shift and getting a blink dagger for exits.
    Having played puck a few times - I think you should get the blink dagger to initiate, throw waning rift and dream coil, and then use the orb with jaunt to escape if needed, because once you take damage you cant use blink dagger for 3 seconds. Same for pretty much any hero - the exception to this is if you phase shift correctly you can blink straight out of it t as phase shift is 3.25 seconds at max level and the blink damage cooldown is 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijeangenie View Post
    Having played puck a few times - I think you should get the blink dagger to initiate, throw waning rift and dream coil, and then use the orb with jaunt to escape if needed, because once you take damage you cant use blink dagger for 3 seconds. Same for pretty much any hero - the exception to this is if you phase shift correctly you can blink straight out of it t as phase shift is 3.25 seconds at max level and the blink damage cooldown is 3.
    Except if there's a hero with AoE damage like Pudge, which deactivates the PK before you can use it

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If timed well, your blink/pk won't be on cooldown. You can blink out while phase shifted.
    Last edited by khaz; 05-04-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    If timed well, your blink/pk won't be on cooldown. You can blink out while phase shifted.
    No-uh. Try doing it on test.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wait, I'm confused. You mean if a dot spell hits you before you go invulnerable the dagger is still on cd? Then yes.

If you go invulnerable before the dot puts the dagger on cd then you can blink out of phase shift.

As far as I'm aware this is common to both Dota2 and hon.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. You mean if a dot spell hits you before you go invulnerable the dagger is still on cd? Then yes.

If you go invulnerable before the dot puts the dagger on cd then you can blink out of phase shift.

As far as I'm aware this is common to both Dota2 and hon.
    You can't blink out of phase shift, you can blink afterwards as soon as it finishes. Now, being able to blink as soon as it finishes as the "out of jail card" was nerfed a long time ago, if after phase shift finishes Puck/Bubbles is inside an AoE (radiance, pudge, doom) the dagger will deactivate before he can blink, even if it was shift-queued. Again, test it on practice mode.

There is a difference between DoT and AoE. And even between AoEs, radiance/doom/pudge is constant damage, where leshrac's R is just once per second so it can be escaped from, I'm not sure about W though.
    Last edited by pakoito; 05-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Also if your getting used to Puck its worth while getting used to Phase Shifting while using bottle / salve. (not with lvl 1 phase shift ofc).

Puck is a high skill ceiling character and I don't think its really possible to say you should "blink in" or "save the blink for the escape", its all situational. Basically try to have an escape plan all the time even when you are killing someone.

A nice tactic for escapes btw is to throw the orb one way, phase shift... if they stay you pop to the orb, if they follow the orb you blink the other direction with blink dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    A nice tactic for escapes btw is to throw the orb one way, phase shift... if they stay you pop to the orb, if they follow the orb you blink the other direction with blink dagger.
    Ah, that's a good idea. I had been using the orb to freak them out or to juke the other way after casting, but hadn't tried Phase Shifting at the same time. Heck, I'd probably fall for it if I were them...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's kinda lose lose for them, they either:

- Follow the orb and you walk / blink the other direction.
    - Stand still with you phase shifted doing not alot in which case they have to either REALLY quickly stun/silence you or you jaunt to the orb (bear in mind you can end the phase anytime you want).

I made this in honour of my good friend John and that one time he got 805 last hits as Kunkka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTo87cnhZq4

enjoooooy

Nice vid! I can see an improvement in polish over the earlier ones I saw.

In my learning news, I had a few good games at the beginning of the weekend. I'm getting better at playing support, but also enjoying it more. The game I'm thinking of in particular had me playing Witch Doctor in mid vs Crystal Maiden. I kept wards up the whole time, upgraded the Courier, controlled runes and tried to join our teammates at opportune moments. All in all, it went pretty well. (tho it also helped that I like WD and my friend was playing his favorite hero, Troll Warlord)

Obscure Node
    That video is actually dozens of times better than the last one. I love it.

Cool, I'm getting there

Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Cool, I'm getting there
    Yep. As with anything stylized, getting it to look intentional is more work than the casual observer would appreciate.

You guys probably knew this already, but I just found out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgiLiO0mW6Q

An easy way to break tower aggro is by simply clicking to deny one of your own creeps near the tower. If the video is to be trusted (haven't been home to test it yet), you don't even have to hit the creep. The tower will see you doing that and automagically acquire a new target.

It sure beats running out of tower range, which wastes extra time and hp. I feel so dumb for all the times I've let towers screw me up in the earlier laning phase.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yep thats correct Deadly, doesn't have to be a low hp creep or anything just a friendly creep.

It's a wierd quirk of tower agro logic.

Be aware it doesn't actually tell the tower to target something else it just means the tower will reassess its targets, usually that means it'll go for a creep but if your really low and very close to it then it can still retarget you.

So, I added myself to the Google Doc sheet, I hope it's okay (I don't really have any experience with these sort of things, but I assume that's what is wanted). Erm, I guess that's all.

Why do people with connection problems bother coming back to a game after being out for like ten minutes? Seriously. We had a Bristleback that disconnected and reconnected a few times early game, fed the safe lane a few kills, then abandoned. I should've left right then, but our team thought we had a chance without the guy. He comes back like 25-30 minutes into the game and tries to play some more, feeding his level 12 self to their already dominating Centaur Warrunner.

Just...why? I'm going to start leaving as soon as someone's abandoned from now on. Even if we win, it's not worth the risk. The games take longer and we tend to lose 5 times out of 6.

Continuing down the path of low-tier matchmaking pubs...

I've had great games and horrible ones alike. Today's lunch game was the first I've had in a while where no one disconnected. (not even a dc w/ reconnect) I had Clockwerk and things went pretty well. My only complaint was my lanemate, Luna. She wasn't staying in position to land last hits, and it seemed important to deny some xp from Anti-Mage, so I went in close to deny. Got a few last hits as a result. She complained, so I backed off further. She didn't deny, kept tempting Anti-Mage & QoP in our lane, and died. She blamed me, saying it wouldn't have happened if she'd had her Yasha, etc. That was pretty much when I realized it was her problem, not mine.
    Every time I tried to concede and back off, she'd play poorly, etc. I'm no skill snob, what with my lowly ~15 wins, but let's not complain in caps about your lanemate when you're running around a 1/3 hp and getting killed. No amount of item farming or last hits would have kept her from dying, as she kept making a habit of being way too forward in the lane. I said sorry for whatever, tried to be nice and back off further, but she wouldn't let down. She died again. Finally, she got fed up (with herself?) and went to another lane.

Anyhoot--besides that, the game went really well. Warlock & I kept the wards up, Pudge did okay mid. It was looking iffy toward the end of the laning phase, but they failed to capitalize on the pushed towers. Thankfully, our team began coordinating a bit, made some kills, and pushed right back. Luna even made some nice kills later on, though that came hand-in-hand with continual overconfidence and getting herself ganked as a result.

I'll concede that I landed more last hits than I normally would have with a Luna around, but she just wasn't doing it. She had range in the lane and wasn't trying to deny, either. So, I stepped in to deny, and got a few killshots in the process. Once she got more aggressive, I backed off. In the end, our lane was fine and so was she. What a carry diva.*

*Or was I wrong? It was a pub lane arrangement and I wasn't trying to be obnoxious. She just kinda sucked and went crazy complaining about everything. If she'd spent half the time typing in caps as she had clicking into a safer distance, or timing for a last hit, she would have been fine. I just tried to tell her things were fine, chill out, I'd back off, etc... but to no avail.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 15-04-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Yep, sounds like (s)he was the problem.