Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    This new patch has made performance go through the roof on my laptop! The game actually looks good again with no annoying frame drops. Simple things...

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    As a Nyx player I would say it's doubtful that Skywrath is getting away from you at all unless he is standing on an sentry ward as you approach and can silence you then slow you and run. Nyx doesn't announce himself to the enemy til its way to late for them to do ought about it

So I did a bit of theoryingggg....

If both Nyx and Skywrath are lvl 11 and neither has much in the way of items (the more items either gets the more it tends to benefit Nyx wierdly) Nyx attacking from his ultimate doing the normal combo of:

lvl 2 Vendetta hit (Base dmg of 90-94 + 400 for vendetta, Skywrath has basically bugger all armour so not worth factoring in much here).
    Then lvl 4 Stun (260 dmg -25% for magic armour = 195)
    Then a hit (90-94)
    Then Mana Burn (lvl doesn't matter, dmg is the same at all levels - (5*Skywraths Int)*075, Skywrath base Int at lvl 11 is 59 + allowing for him to have a bracer that takes him to 62 Int = 233dmg after armour reduction). Skywrath will also lose over 300 mana everytime this is cast on him, ow.

Total dmg of around 972dmg.

If Skywrath was at max hp at this point he'd have 910max hp with a bracer (I'm assuming Nyx has no items at all here that improve his dmg).

If for some wierd reason you don't kill him (literally the more items involved here the worse this becomes for Skywrath) any spell cast at Nyx other than Silence/Amp will stun Skywrath again from Spiked Carapace, if you amp him first you just amped yourself basically...

Assuming that Skywrath at this point had some more items just leads to more dmg on mana burn and Nyx will be closer to that Dagon. Imagining that Skywrath has 1 bracer, Rod of Atos and a set of boots your adding 100 dmg onto mana burn and Dagon is cheaper than Atos for Nyx giving him another 300dmg burst.
    While your bit of theorycrafting is completely valid I was talking more about a level 6-7 nyx ganking a level 6-7 skymage. However I feel that my argument regarding magic stick/wand are still valid 10-15 charges would be enough to save from that solo gank from ny, you would of course stand no chance of getting away if there was someone else in on it.

What I was trying to say, albeit unsuccessfully it seems, was that if the Nyx wen't mid and got early levels he can solo kill Skymage, but a support Nyx that doesn't have a great level advantage will have a harder time picking up solo kills on him. Sorry for not phrasing my self better feel a little guilty for making you do the calculations.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by safewood View Post
    While your bit of theorycrafting is completely valid I was talking more about a level 6-7 nyx ganking a level 6-7 skymage. However I feel that my argument regarding magic stick/wand are still valid 10-15 charges would be enough to save from that solo gank from ny, you would of course stand no chance of getting away if there was someone else in on it.

What I was trying to say, albeit unsuccessfully it seems, was that if the Nyx wen't mid and got early levels he can solo kill Skymage, but a support Nyx that doesn't have a great level advantage will have a harder time picking up solo kills on him. Sorry for not phrasing my self better feel a little guilty for making you do the calculations.
    Haha its ok I was bored at work and was interested to work out just how much the int gain benefits Nyx, yes I agree about the support nyx stuff although tbh he likely wouldnt be alone with the gank then Fair points all around though

As for wins ='ing skill, yeh its not a good indicator really tbh, I have less wins than some people I butcher simply because they started in DotA2 and I've been playing since early DotA1 lol. Wins / Lvl being better than 10 is a pretty good indicator if they have never used an XP boost but then that goes out of the window... DotaBuff is your best bet tbh. Look at their highest GPM, Last hits, etc in the last week (although again... pinch of salt required). Assume everyone is better than you and surprise yourself when you play them off the lane
    Yeah I agree with you, but Deadly's point is that when he has c20 wins and someone he is playing with has 200, they are going to be a better player than him 99% of the time - your point is correct once you get to better players as someone who has 500 wins might not be better than someone with 300.

Also I use the amount of commendations people have as an indicator of how good they are, obviously Dotabuff is better but you can't do that within the client, and the problem with just looking at wins is, as you said, that they can have played bot games - used boosts etc (or been to the low priority punishment queue).
    Last edited by Dijeangenie; 26-04-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Network Hub
    Well I dunno if anyone has been following the AbsoluteBedlam tourni that Tom O'Bedlam has been running but the winners bracket final started yesterday (Best of 5 but with the server issues this weekend the last 1/2 games will be played at another time). Some really interesting games in it so far.

Plushunters from Sweden and the tourni favourites have continued their undeniably weird line ups and in the 3rd game CHAMO (US:E) pulled out just about the best Visage and Clockwork play I've seen, awesome.

I was wondering how you guys usually form groups, I've seen some of you on mumble before but I don't want to barge in an ongoing game unannounced. I do have a small group of people i regularly play with but when none of them are online or available I'd like to have a bigger pool of people to draw from or to be drawn from.

In any case, I've joined the Steam group and I guess I'll take it from there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurrah View Post
    I was wondering how you guys usually form groups, I've seen some of you on mumble before but I don't want to barge in an ongoing game unannounced. I do have a small group of people i regularly play with but when none of them are online or available I'd like to have a bigger pool of people to draw from or to be drawn from.

In any case, I've joined the Steam group and I guess I'll take it from there.
    Don't be so shy. Just pop in and ask if anyone is up for a game.

Network Hub
    The first TMM for [SSMB] last night, it didn't go well but we expected as much as it's our first game as a team... We got out drafted hard and couldnt get the room for my Antimage to get gold and come online. The enemy pulled a really nice lvl 1 smoke gank too.

Meeting up on Saturday for the next attempt, gonna try practising an aggressive tri-lane and a 0-1-4 lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Gurrah View Post
    I haven't really had any luck when the game channels are already full, but it worked alright the time I came in before things started. My timing is kind of off for catching games, though, since I'm in the U.S.

Also, I haven't seen anyone say anything in the in-game RPS chat channels. (Rock Paper Shotgun & Casual Dota Chums)

Obscure Node
    Hey guys! I've been playing dota for a couple of months now. I've been playing with about 8 other friends so I get to play in 5 people parties often. But I would like to play in a team against other teams. So i'm looking for a team to join for some more serious gameplay. So if there is any team looking for a player I would love to join. Should I just add myself to the spreadsheet?

steam name: Wizz
    steam id: pwnuh
    timezone: GMT+1
    I play on weekends.

Network Hub
    Well this is my steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963444317/

Feel free to add me if you want a game but as "Urquan" from these forums can probably attest, it's kinda hard to get me without a group already :P I'll be on all Saturday I imagine.

Activated Node
    Is anyone up for an inhouse this bank holiday weekend?

In other news, I just played a pub and well, this happened: http://d.pr/i/atoO

In other news, I think Slardar has become my go-to choice when I need someone flexible. That dotaedge site has helped in counter-picking enemy pub teams, too.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    In other news, I think Slardar has become my go-to choice when I need someone flexible. That dotaedge site has helped in counter-picking enemy pub teams, too.
    He's so under-rated, I love him, I'm just not that good with him :P

He's so under-rated, I love him, I'm just not that good with him :P
    Yeah. Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying he's the best hero every time. It's just that, at least at this stage in my learning, he's a great choice when there's no other obvious role to choose. (like a hard support or carry, etc) When my pub team may or may not be buying wards, he can be support-y when he needs to be. Then once he gets his ult, he's a great addition to any team fight. (and its true sight is helpful, too) Throw on some luxury items, and he feels like a semi-carry.

I also had a good game with Bloodseeker yesterday. Kind of a weird game, but we won... so, I can't complain. I felt pretty dumb afterward, though, because I hadn't been using Bloodrage on myself. It was good to put on casters early game, thanks to the silence and degen, but then I stopped using it. Would've helped us win sooner, but hey... live an learn. (or maybe play and learn)
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 04-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.

First time we've managed a zero-team-death game. <3 Death Prophet.

I know you guys like changing your steam profile names for the hell of it, but you do realise you can achieve the same effect from the console through setinfo name CRITACULAR and so forth, right? Much easier than alt tabbing. Almost as much use as a custom cfg with netgraphs, range rings and right click deny enabled.

(It'll be particularly useful for the next time you don't five-man and find you've all been revenge muted for that horrendous stomp. Fixit Valve, fixit!)

I look forward to a scoreboard featuring Sinny XXII's 21 deaths.

I don't understand. Why would we want to change our Steam names?

Pretty sure I've changed mine once since making an account in '03. Is there some dota-specific reason? To avoid malicious reporting, or something?

Also, I guess I need to enable the match sharing for third parties in order for dotabuff to be useful for me.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 06-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Partly for fun, so you can play Gyrocopter and call yourself "neeeeaAAAWWWWW dakka dakka". Or <name> <numeral> where <numeral> is the amount of times you've died. Or whatever.

However the recent system of chat-banning people for poor behaviour (which is apparently highly susceptible to false positives as it is automated, though I have no first-hand experience of this as I generally play coop / stacks) left name changes as one of the few ways you can communicate having been muted to your team.

There was one really good example, which I can't find right now, of a player proceeding to use name changes to communicate with their team entirely in lieu of chat messages. Ironically they changed their name a dozen or more times over the course of one match and what started off as a polite informer ended up as the foul-mouthed antisocial crap that would have got them communication banned in the first place.