Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    You gotten any better at DotA2 null?

Network Hub
    Did a bit of DotA'ing yesterday, had a few decent games, especially enjoyed my Tidehunter game

Meant to login to RPS mumble to grab some of the inhouses but totally forgot, did they go well?

So, uh... we have our own sub-forum. That's neat.

I feel kind of bad that they made a Tribes Ascend one, considering it's since died off...

Network Hub
    Oooo shiny sub forum!

Network Hub
    So, question.

I stopped playing this a while back because the public community was horrific. Playing with the RPS community gave its own problems, because most people were much, much better than me, and it was small enough that most of the matches happened at hours that I couldn't make it.

But, I've been watching some matches recently, and it really began to bring up the itch to play again.

Is the public community any better now? And has the RPS community expanded so that it contains more skill levels, and more players at different times?
    Started writing a blog for video games, roleplaying, game mechanics, and AARs.

http://dentharial.blogspot.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentharial View Post

Is the public community any better now?
    Hahhahhahhahah no.

Is the public community any better now? And has the RPS community expanded so that it contains more skill levels, and more players at different times?
    I'm U.S. East, if that helps. I don't often play with the RPS crowd, though, because of the scheduling reasons you mentioned above. As for skill, I've maybe 160 hours and 20 wins. (my first 4 months were exclusively bots) So, whatever that means...

Network Hub
    And has the RPS community expanded so that it contains more skill levels, and more players at different times?
    I think you'll find that skill level with the RPS community is a non-issue. Whenever you see less than 5 people in a channel just jump in and ask for a game. I often play with people far better than me as well as relative newbies. It's always nice to give out what little advice you have. Of course if you clearly make no effort to take the advice in consideration and feed the other team out of stubbornness than you might end up pissing people off, but I've never seen that happen.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    I think you'll find that skill level with the RPS community is a non-issue. Whenever you see less than 5 people in a channel just jump in and ask for a game. I often play with people far better than me as well as relative newbies. It's always nice to give out what little advice you have. Of course if you clearly make no effort to take the advice in consideration and feed the other team out of stubbornness than you might end up pissing people off, but I've never seen that happen.
    Sounds about right. I played my first public game with 4 RPSers with 200-500+ wins, and they were very patient with me. It took them several times reminding me to not get *any* last hits, as I had no grasp on the concept of being a 5 / hard support, but it worked out well. It also helped me make the transition from bots to players, as I picked up things like warding.

I still suck at tri-laning and jungle stacking, though, if only because I haven't had to do much of it.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 14-05-2013 at 05:06 PM.

I've been a little curious about this myself actually. I played a few (very few, about five) games a while back, but got a little put off by the community in general. I kind of get the impression that DOTA 2 isn't really worth playing unless you can cobble a group together. Is there a procedure for getting involved or is it just jump in a chat room?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMonotone View Post
    I've been a little curious about this myself actually. I played a few (very few, about five) games a while back, but got a little put off by the community in general. I kind of get the impression that DOTA 2 isn't really worth playing unless you can cobble a group together. Is there a procedure for getting involved or is it just jump in a chat room?
    If you haven't sworn fealty to Horace and paid your dues this month, you're out of the DotA Club.

This may or may not interest people, but I just found out Pyrion Flax is organizing a Pubstomp in LONDON this sunday as celebration of the Western Qualifiers Final.

No need to reserve or.. anything, just BYOBM (Bring Your Own Beer Money).

Details in this reddit post, Pyrion himself and Cyborgmatt will be in attendance and they'll at least at some point open communication with the GD Studio.

And now I'm wishing I lived in London. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    If you haven't sworn fealty to Horace and paid your dues this month, you're out of the DotA Club.
    Curses! Kicked out before I even joined. I'd better go sacrifice something for forgiveness.

So, what's the deal with the International and the compendium item? When does the tourney actually end?

I obviously haven't been keeping up with it, but I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to support the scene, get a courier and some extra xp for useless items.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    So, what's the deal with the International and the compendium item? When does the tourney actually end?

I obviously haven't been keeping up with it, but I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to support the scene, get a courier and some extra xp for useless items.
    You pay some bucks, you get a courier and some extra XP. The extra XP lasts until the tournament is over in August. The courier gets better stuff the more matches you watch for either the qualifiers and the main event. The more people who buys the compendium, the more extras you get. Soon the free UI tier is going to be reached. In some time, couriers will get mounts and everyone will get a legendary item. Also, while watching matches either live or in a replay, there's a chance you get an item drop. And finally you get to "bet" on the compendium about team compositions, most picked heroes, ingame events like pregame Roshan or 800+GPM. Not sure what you get if you win.

It's like valve saying: "get all this pretend stuff, tons of it, and watch and extend our esport" with a 7€ entry fee.
    Last edited by pakoito; 15-05-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Each compendium bought adds 2.5$ to the prizepool for The International 3.

Compendium gives you:

-Special courier that can "evolve" by watching TI3-related games (live or replays, doesn't matter)
    -125% battle bonus item that you can activate now and will remain active until August 13. That's 3 months of +125% battle points! Most bonuses are just 2 hours! Of course, it's just good to get items quicker, though.
    -If you watch live TI-3 related games, you have a chance to get a special item drop upon witnessing first blood, multi kills and the end of the game. It's kinda like a lottery for specially marked items which can go for a pretty penny on the market.
    -You can make predictions on the Eastern Qualifier (used to be able to do predictions for the Western one, but since that one is already on full steam, it's blocked).
    -You can vote for what players you want for a special All Stars game that will happen right before the actual TI3 games.
    -They'll slowly fill the compendium with bits of info on the pro players of the invited teams.

So right now we have the Western Qualifiers going on, hosted by the GD Studio, (currently about to start game 3 between MouseSports and iCCup) with finals this sunday, and next week is the Eastern Qualifier, hosted by Beyond The Summit.
    Then on August 9-13 the actual TI3.

As for The International, it's the biggest dota2 pro tournament of the year, and if people keep buying the compendium, the prize pool could become the biggest to have ever been had in an esports event.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    It's like valve saying: "get all this pretend stuff, tons of it, and watch and extend our esport" with a 7€ entry fee.
    I generally think buying items is silly, and am really glad that all items are cosmetic, but I think I'm okay with Valve's approach here. Even if I'm not competitive, supporting the scene seems okay.

I might just do it. Also, LOL that people bought my chests overnight. So, hooray for .37c in my Steam Wallet.

Obscure Node
    Hello,

Not sure if I'm in the right place to do that but I'd like to try this dota2 game and apparently need an invitation key for it.
    Would anyone with a spare key be super kind enough to give it to me?

Cheers!

ps: sorry if it s not the right board for that, tell me and i ll delete my post

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    -125% battle bonus item that you can activate now and will remain active until August 13.
    hi
    also players who own the compendium give +25% battle bonus to others on your team and it stacks so if all 5 have the compendium your battle bonus can be 225%

I just joined the steam group yesterday, hope to get a few team games in over the next few days!

wromain: post your steam handle and if you don't have one by this evening, I'll send you one

As gridreign said, either a steam handle to add to friends and do a steam trade, or the email address you registered your steam account to send it there.

Or you could just add this bad boy to your steam friends list: http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot
    and get one of the over 20k invites that account holds.

P.S. Oh man I almost forgot, do not, I repeat, DO NOT even start Dota2 until you've read this thoroughly: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-t...k#.UZTrUbVmjTo
    Last edited by Rauten; 16-05-2013 at 03:22 PM.