Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    P.S. Oh man I almost forgot, do not, I repeat, DO NOT even start Dota2 until you've read this thoroughly: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-t...k#.UZTrUbVmjTo
    Yeah. Also, if you're 100% new to the genre, I highly recommend starting with a friend who can talk you through a custom game with passive bots.

Short of that, I recommend starting on passive difficulty bots, then easy, then medium. Once you can win medium, go to public games. Some might recommend starting in "real" games sooner, as you will pick up a few bad habits with bots, but I think starting in pubs is unfair to your teammates. Even a decent bot-competent player will be more helpful than a complete noob, assuming they were going into the game with zero knowledge. That, and due to your teammates possibly screwing your chances, I think even the lowest tier of matchmaking can be tough for new players.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 17-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.

So I got sent a key for this last week, installed it this morning and played through the tutorial quest. If any other newbies want to jump into a bot game over the next week add me on steam and give me a shout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    So I got sent a key for this last week, installed it this morning and played through the tutorial quest. If any other newbies want to jump into a bot game over the next week add me on steam and give me a shout.
    The tutorial is not like the game, at all.

Until the tutorial series are finished, this is your tutorial. Feel free to ask for any lingo you don't understand in the guide.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    That guide should be at the OP, at the RPS group description, everywhere.
    Purge has the charisma of a brick wall and his voice is a pain to listen to, but lord the man knows his shit.

yyyyyelloeverybodythisispurgewithanother*firstpers ongameplay

*point at which frequency of voice enters range of normal human hearing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Somebody just ragequit 5 minutes into Captain's Mode's draft phase because I picked Chaos Knight because I thought it would be fun to play him. I didn't say a word the whole time. In the DotA community, we call this "progress."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Any form of captain mode in any moba is ill advised unless you're a team of 5 or playing in an inhouse. Its one of those countless unwritten laws of the genre.

Although its odd he would quit for picking ck. He's currently very much a top tier hero.
    Last edited by khaz; 20-05-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Although its odd he would quit for picking ck. He's currently very much a top tier hero.
    If you can get a wisp or an AA with that it's pretty much the top tier, other than maybe lifestealer bombs from Furion...

But yeh... what Khaz said about captains mode.

Yeah Captain's mode either you're in a 5stack or playing TMM. Otherwise it's not a very good idea.

Also WOOT MouseSports won the Western Qualifiers!! (I was rooting for them)
    Last edited by Rauten; 20-05-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Also WOOT --- won the Western Qualifiers!! (I was rooting for them)
    Spoilers. I couldn't watch it yesterday. You just ruined 5 hours of hype.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Spoilers. I couldn't watch it yesterday. You just ruined 5 hours of hype.
    ...fuck. I'm an idiot, and I apologize.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    If you can get a wisp or an AA with that it's pretty much the top tier, other than maybe lifestealer bombs from Furion...

But yeh... what Khaz said about captains mode.
    It was quite the surprise when someone was asking what items are good on ck in a stream chat and me and some other old schoolers said diffusal and we were scoffed upon.

Its amazing how many players are new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    It was quite the surprise when someone was asking what items are good on ck in a stream chat and me and some other old schoolers said diffusal and we were scoffed upon.

Its amazing how many players are new to the game.
    Diffusal? I can get that it'd increase the damage output of your illusions through the mana break, but other than that... CK doesn't get any specific advantages from agility, and between his fast base move speed, ranged stun and pseudo-tp with rift, he's not one to typically need items to help him chase or even run away.
    Unless I'm missing something, I'd say Armlet is a better item for a similar gold cost.

(Please, don't take this as a scoffing, but rather an invitation to explain the benefits of diffusal on ck)

Network Hub
    Diffusal? I can get that it'd increase the damage output of your illusions through the mana break, but other than that... CK doesn't get any specific advantages from agility, and between his fast base move speed, ranged stun and pseudo-tp with rift, he's not one to typically need items to help him chase or even run away.
    Unless I'm missing something, I'd say Armlet is a better item for a similar gold cost.

(Please, don't take this as a scoffing, but rather an invitation to explain the benefits of diffusal on ck)

Also diffusal would screw up your later game satanic... not my favourite choice, unless they had something that was definately hard countered with a diffusal blade

Armlet, Satanic, Cuirass all higher in my estimations.

But yeh totally enlighten me that does seem a curious choice.

I'm not going to stop getting playing Captain's Mode. Especially because I usually get picked as Captain. That's stupid. I think it's a fun mode.

Armlet CK is a ridiculous beast.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I'm not going to stop getting playing Captain's Mode. Especially because I usually get picked as Captain. That's stupid. I think it's a fun mode.

Armlet CK is a ridiculous beast.

Don't get me wrong here, Captain's Mode is the only true balanced mode... I agree, I just don't understand how you play it without a team of 5... what happens if your captain is a total idiot and picks like "Team int support"? Or "lvl 1 Roshan strat" Does that not happen?

Like I said, I've been picking the teams.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Like I said, I've been picking the teams.
    How does it work though? Do you get to all vote for whos the captain or does it auto assign it to the one with the highest secret skill rating?

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, Captain's Mode is the only true balanced mode...
    Definitely more balanced than that one time All Random gave me an all melee team. :\

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Definitely more balanced than that one time All Random gave me an all melee team. :\
    Yeh I've had that and also one where their team got literally the team of choice from Captains Mode where you'd be like "hell yeah guys we just out drafted them hard!" and we got Meepo and 4 hard carries lol.