Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsCanGrowBeardsAllOver View Post
    Now, if i could pose another question, taking into account your advice, what would your item and skill building sequences be?

Again, thank you all for the advice, I never really thought about Shivas as viable due to the price, but I'll definatley give it a shot.
    Well the first part of it, 1400g for the armour isnt bad tbh. The recommendations from pros is roughly every 1500hp pick up 10 armour to be survivable (however u get some from passive agi gain and stuff so don't panic lol).

Lane wise, try to practise solo offlane with clock if you can, he's viable on it cos u can just drop cogs and walk away from any trilane ganks, play him careful and pick up exp (on offlanes you really just try to get what you can from a lane while not giving away free kills), if you can get farm that's lovely but generally you won't (I know right now you'll be running alot of 2-1-2 lanes in lower tiers but when you progress up you'll find a solo offlaner becomes quite common, hes also quite good on a 2-1-2 lane match up so thats cool).

Items

Item wise it all depends on what your doing and how your doing it (helpful I know!), boots choices, I'd leave that to you, however for general rocket spam if your building powertreads be sure to swap them to int before firing the rocket (if you don't know about how stat switching helps just shout up and I'll post a little thing about it or find the purge video, its worth understanding).

What your looking for from your items early - mid game is the following: Mana to use spells & Some form of survivability. So that in mind you can happily use powertreads and an urn (If your doing this you can start with 2 gaunts of str and pick up a sages mask from the side shop to help early game which is handy), powertreads and a bottle (important to learn about stat switching again for this combo), mana boots + bracer (possibly 2). After that you can build what you need, think about what you can do for your team and how to do it... generally like I say an Aghs is a catch all on this hero and very useful, if your going to build a pipe later you might want to pick up the hood or the cloak now just to give survivability vs those pesky casters.

Skills

Well its another variable in my opinion, there's 2 theories here and both have there places:

1) If your going to be hyper aggressive and picking off all sorts of solo / duo kills then Battery Assault taking precedence over the other skills can work well, its dmg scales very well if you can isolate someone (1200 dmg before negation via magic reduction for a lvl 4 full length assault, nothing to be sniffed at, that means with other spells at lvl 7 you can kill a full health squishy support really fast, lvl 1 cogs lasts 5 seconds, if you get him/her alone then you are going to do about 500 dmg to them with this one skill in cogs, even if they stun or hex you or something...).

2) If your playing a bit more cautiously and your not going to break to full on ganking straight away you can prioritise Flare and use it to harass and farm with (send the odd one to other lanes, an unexpected burst of dmg can help setup a nice double kill for allies and you get assist gold). Now while Flare is interesting I find its best leveled up if your solo laning as it helps with the farm but also because you should out level the people your against; its dmg is good but if there the same level as you (i.e. a 2 v 2 lane) it can be a little underwhelming.

My personal opinion would be at your level experiment but I imagine if you try to prioritise the assault over flare vs anything with melee in the lane then your going to come out ok.

(One thing to note, if your spamming rockets and they have magic wands, make sure to back up a bit before firing when you can as not to give them charges).

As a ganker look at your enemies and ask a few questions:

-Whats going to be an issue if your stuck next to it here? (No one wants to hookshot to a full hp Leshrac who has just popped edict and his ulti or a N'aix with a rage ready to go where as hooking into centaur can be hilarious as he just sits there repeating the stun animation in a loop because of your battery assault).

-How much magic dmg is there here? If theres tonnes I'll need to build that Hood as a priority, if its all physical maybe I can pick up something to help with that instead and if its a mix then just pure old HP for the early to mid of the game is best bet.

-Which of these can I kill solo? Which of these do I need 1 other friend? Do I need more than that?! (This will take practise, eventually you'll know how much you can drop quick and quiet before anyone gets to react and how much is too much).

-Which of these do I need Dust / Wards for? (Your the ganker, its great if you have a support assisting here but your the guy ganking, you bring the dust to the party, its only wasting your time if you don't).

Edit: Yes and I meant to add like Stirbelwerm, always put a point in cogs at lvl 1, its your only escape and don't underestimate the mana burn, if you hit it just right you can push someone into trees with it so they are stuck vs cogs and trees, they can kiss all there mana goodbye and a significant chunk of hp usually.
    Last edited by DenieD; 02-10-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Hi guys, I registered just to ask whether anyone would like to play dota at any time? Recently matchmaking has gone berserk with either crazies / leavers / incomprehensibles. I'm not bad... not great, but just want to have fun playing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedd View Post
    Hi guys, I registered just to ask whether anyone would like to play dota at any time? Recently matchmaking has gone berserk with either crazies / leavers / incomprehensibles. I'm not bad... not great, but just want to have fun playing.
    You might want to add a Time Zone and likely times your going to be playing

Also, theres an RPS dota group that is handy for organising games I understand, give starMATT a shout and I'm sure he'll get you in.

Cheers! GMT here, though my work hours mean I could in theory play at any time. I'll send starMATT a message. Top clock guiding by the way. He's great fun to play when you get used to him.

Damnit DenieD, stop making my posts look bad, by posting more elaborate ones!

;)
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

Halberd is a great pickup on Clock in my opinion. Helps you manfight a right clicker in cogs with the delicious disarm and evasion. Usually after Aghs and Blademail.

I think that almost any item is good on clock myself depending on the situation, barring refresher orb since aghanims gives you a better cooldown without costing 360 mana, although if you could have double battery assault online during a fight that would be pretty amusing (that's if it can even stack on top of itself, I know firefly and weave stack)
    Last edited by shaydeeadi; 02-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    \_(ツ)_/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    Halberd is a great pickup on Clock in my opinion. Helps you manfight a right clicker in cogs with the delicious disarm and evasion. Usually after Aghs and Blademail.

I think that almost any item is good on clock myself depending on the situation, barring refresher orb since aghanims gives you a better cooldown without costing 360 mana, although if you could have double battery assault online during a fight that would be pretty amusing (that's if it can even stack on top of itself, I know firefly and weave stack)
    Halbard is a good choice pick up yeh, I'd probably pick up halbard instead of blademail though as the evasion doesnt really synergise well with blademail.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Halberd is also 3850 as opposed to blade mail's 2200. I would rather spend money on making pipe in addition to the blade mail or agha's tbh. But force staff is so good on clok. As is necro book as a situational pick.

had the weirdest random draft game with starmatt yesterday.
    matt kept lagging (timber), then dc'd for straight 3min of game time (radiant kept unpausing), qop dc'd and we thought he would get an abandon, but then reconnected after like 4min. then there was pl who didnt even appear on the map for like first 2-3 min of the game and when he did he had 0 gold (i guess he waited too long?) and so no items. basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong, but we still managed to make a comeback and win - made some wisp relocate ganks, timber got levels, pl turned out to be pretty decent after all. i played tree and didnt do much at all besides spaming armor on timber. part of if it was probably opponents thinking they had it in the bag and playing carelessly, plus split push from pl ofc kept the pressure on them
    Last edited by grasskit; 04-10-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the tips guys, It's given me a much better understanding of Clockwerk! Unfortunatley I only managed one game with him in the last couple of days - and that was ruined by connection issues!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    had the weirdest random draft game with starmatt yesterday.
    matt kept lagging (timber), then dc'd for straight 3min of game time (radiant kept unpausing), qop dc'd and we thought he would get an abandon, but then reconnected after like 4min. then there was pl who didnt even appear on the map for like first 2-3 min of the game and when he did he had 0 gold (i guess he waited too long?) and so no items. basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong, but we still managed to make a comeback and win - made some wisp relocate ganks, timber got levels, pl turned out to be pretty decent after all. i played tree and didnt do much at all besides spaming armor on timber. part of if it was probably opponents thinking they had it in the bag and playing carelessly, plus split push from pl ofc kept the pressure on them
    Yeh if you get an abandon it 0's your gold, I think it shares it out between your team mates but I may be wrong.

I had planned to be on all Saturday and get my first RPS guild game in but I dunno now as family issues have popped up. I will / should be about on Sunday for a game though

ET is quickly getting up there to my to my favourite heroes. 0-4-4-0 on the offlane is ridiculously good build, and with sould ring you can just spam the spirit all day long, farming lane and jungle as well harass weak supports away. Also ridiculous ability to make plays happen and the ult is nothing to laugh at. Alongside Rubick and Lion probably one of my favourite support(-ish) heroes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    ET is quickly getting up there to my to my favourite heroes. 0-4-4-0 on the offlane is ridiculously good build, and with sould ring you can just spam the spirit all day long, farming lane and jungle as well harass weak supports away. Also ridiculous ability to make plays happen and the ult is nothing to laugh at. Alongside Rubick and Lion probably one of my favourite support(-ish) heroes.

If you saw the Team Liquid victory vs Alliance recently you can see why ET is amazing, they midded him, was awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The difference being ET can easily carry. He's certainly not a hard carry, but give him Crystalys/Daedalus, an Astral Spirit that hits all the enemy heroes and you're rocking quite a heavy hitter. I haven't tried the 0-4-4-0 strategy yet. I usually like to get the stomp as an escape mechanism, but the next time I'm off-lane carry ET, I think I might give it a go.

EDIT: Here's the vid of that match.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 04-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.