Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1325
    I guess the matchmaking has gotter very, very wonky lately. I've had multiple games against players who have around 1000 to 3000 more matches than me. I find that rather weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    I guess the matchmaking has gotter very, very wonky lately. I've had multiple games against players who have around 1000 to 3000 more matches than me. I find that rather weird.
    Yeah, that sounds familiar. IIRC, it was 5 randoms vs a 5-stack. That made losing mid as Viper a little easier to take... (that, and I'll never use that build again)

I won a Razor match for once!
    http://dotabuff.com/matches/526824651
    A communicative team and not a russian on the server. All praise lord Gaben.
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Some of us on the Dota Chums channel had a really crazy game.... went well over 60 minutes. Took a divine to win the game...

http://dotabuff.com/matches/526820513

Crazy game that one was. Lost two rax and all towers except one throne tower, still were able to mount the come back.

Well played to all involved in that one, great team effort to recover it in the middle and end.

Edit -

Reminded me of another 70 min game we won together as Dota Chums: http://dotabuff.com/matches/519558130

Actually bought a rapier that game as well, lost it, and recovered it thanks to a critical strike replacement. Was a great game too
    Last edited by rockman29; 18-02-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Activated Node
    I've been enjoying playing Mirana lately.

Excellent hero for pubs.

http://dotabuff.com/players/25544429...atch_type=real
    I'll Sproink you out m8

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSoup View Post

Excellent hero for pubs.

Excellent hero in general tbh... the ulti is pretty lethal now, even with Wards or a Gem it can sometimes be too late when you see them to react in time, the arrow is awesome if you can land it (which your getting good with) and starstorm is a deceptively nasty nuke. The ShadowFiend game we won last night was mainly from your ulti's allowing me in regularly imo. It meant they had to keep dropping money on wards and gems and stuff which we just took off them again.

The Bane game I think you should have kept ganking for a few more lvls before you took that ancients stack, you were so far behind Bane cos Adam carried on ganking and seemed to struggle until later on when you came online. Like sure stack the camp as you rotate past it but don't take it til your hitting at a reasonable dps imo. Also if I'd have been Gyro I'd have totally robbed the stack (Also a valid option for a 1-1-1 line up if you want a super fat carry).

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSoup View Post

Excellent hero for pubs.

http://dotabuff.com/players/60388461/matches

I am admittedly terrible at Mirana and I don't know why. Other heroes come much more naturally to me. Tips?

She's one of those heroes where I love their skill set, but have yet to become effective with. She really has to lead the team with her ult, doesn't she? I'm getting slightly better with arrows, but they still miss most of the time. Regardless, you only hit the ones you launch, so frequency seems like half the battle. I also feel like her turn time is long, and that annoys me. It could be the illusion of the tiger's length making it more visible, though.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I am admittedly terrible at Mirana and I don't know why. Other heroes come much more naturally to me. Tips?

She's one of those heroes where I love their skill set, but have yet to become effective with. She really has to lead the team with her ult, doesn't she? I'm getting slightly better with arrows, but they still miss most of the time. Regardless, you only hit the ones you launch, so frequency seems like half the battle. I also feel like her turn time is long, and that annoys me. It could be the illusion of the tiger's length making it more visible, though.
    You miss 100% of arrows you don't throw. FACT!

Activated Node
    I was also terrible at Mirana. Then I had a serious go at playing her and realised how perfect she is for pubs.

You can go any lane, you can roam, you can farm ancients if you have to, there's a billion different ways to build her (personally I prefer phase > drums > manta > desolator for the offlane and phase > midas > linkens > EVERYTHING as a carry. If we already have a desolator hero I tried out skadi / MoM a couple of times which is very fun)

Arrows are very hit and miss - just fire them towards chokepoints or save them for point blank range if you have to - double starstorm + arrow is a LOT of damage even if you forgo the stun.

Use the ult everytime you want to explore a part of the map as a team where you don't have vision - e.g. ganking enemy jungle or use it in the middle of a teamfight. It's extremely confusing to the enemy when your team starts randomly going invisible.

Once you hit lvl 7 you have ridiculous solo kill potential in lane if you land an arrow. arrow > leap next to them > double starstorm will kill off most heroes before the stun ends if you have some right click damage to go with it.

Make sure you ward the enemies ancient camp. You won't believe how many 5 second arrows you will land. It normally means you get a free kill on the other team's carry too.

The biggest issue is farming. Mirana is a slow farmer until she get her first UaM at which point it takes off ridiculously. If you struggle early to mid game don't bother trying to catch up by farming - you won't. Go looking for kills whenever your ult is off cooldown. If they start to buy sentries to catch you out, use a smoke instead then use your ult to escape.
    I'll Sproink you out m8

I think part of my problem with Mirana is that I'm practicing against hard bots. There are fewer opportunities for roaming ganks, and she's not very effective against their 5-man death dives. Sure, you can toss and arrow and get some good starfall dmg in, but you're otherwise stunned and dead. Now that I'm (slightly) improving with her laning, I'll give her a whirl the next time I can do it in a pub.

Still, I tried the phase>midas>linken's build and it worked alright.

All you have to do with Mirana is this:

Force yourself into a game playing as her.

The skill required to play her is so low. She's a ranged hero. Good DPS. Good escaping quality because of both move speed and leap. Great initiator and ganker with the invisibility and range of the Sacred Arrow. Possibly the single best stun in the entire game. You can use her jump to enter a fight and kill anyone, or leave a fight and then go back and kill everyone.

Watch some of those games I played if you need to know how to play. The way SpecialSoup described is basically all it is: you can do whatever you want when you play with her.

The best one there might be the 8-0-12 and we ended in 28 minutes. There's other ones there too if you want to learn how to play her.

Those matches here: http://dotabuff.com/players/60388461/matches

Yeah... Dotabuff says I've played four games with her and not won a single one. Granted, some of them may have been a very long time ago, skill-wise, but it has not worked out well so far. You know how some heroes just *click* with you right away, and others don't? For some reason, she's the latter for me. Then again, you have 3x more games played than me, so I suspect some of this comes in time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Learn the lvl 1 arrow spots and abuse them. Paired with Alchemist they're one of the meanest lanes.

I probably have 10x more games played, I was on OG Dota for a long time

But I'll tell you another thing: I only started playing Mirana frequently this week. Really. Loved her so much that first game, and knew I could drastically improve my play with her with just a couple more games, and it worked out.

Some of the action is learned just watching over a long time, and playing against her, so I know heroes pretty well on what they do since so many years.

But really the main thing is just try it again, see which abilities on her work together. Her leap + stun is a dangerous combo, but you have to risk it a few times to see how it goes. When to risk leap first, when to save leap for after the stun, or even after the initiation to get away. She's such a fun hero just because of those two abilities alone, and then she has her ult on top of it.

I miss plenty of stuns, easy and hard ones, just got to get some in the clutch at some point to help the team and win the game.

And keep in mind when you notice the other team not paying attention to where they are running.

One of the *best* times to stun an enemy hero is in a chase against one of your allied heroes, when they think they are sure of a kill.

A good TP in the early game can save a game or even win it right from the start just through that. And if you're already there, get a position in the direction they are both running...

The same happens when they are chasing you. Even on say Slark, who has special invis. Most people don't expect it, and I don't know why, for a low health Mirana to turn around and throw a stun at a hero running directly at Mirana. You'd think more people would try to juke, but they don't, especially the closer they are. Wait for them to come up close so you don't waste the arrow.

As for positions early and late game... it's all the same for any direction you can go for a gank. The better and best ones being ones where they don't even see the arrow coming, like when heroes are right beside the trees.

One of my favourite, favourite moves though is jumping straight directly in front of a hero, shooting in the same direction, to catch the stun right on them. Easiest way to get a stun, though obviously the most committing, and must rely on your judgment and the trust in your team to help out there too.

Her stun and leap is just so versatile and valuable that you can really be wherever you want and majorly help out the team.
    Last edited by rockman29; 19-02-2014 at 02:05 AM.

I don't play with enough frequency to play 10 games of a hero in a week. (let alone that many games per week) I'll give her another try when I have the chance in a pub, though.

In other news, Weaver comes a lot more easily to me. My lane gave their PA a bad day, and despite their Bristle doing a decent job, we won pretty convincingly. The game went 10-15mins longer than it should have, though, because our team wouldn't group up and push. Seriously, we were clearly dominating at ~40mins, but had only taken tier 1 towers. I think it was because the enemy kept 5-manning it, and we were kind of scared about Pudge hooking someone in. The good part was that it kept them from farming while together (and our SS could split), but I had to keep reminding my teammates that a long game against PA can be a scary thing.

If they'd been playing better, they would have warded our lane and ganked more often. PA would've been much nastier then. As it happened, Pudge's movement up top was more defensive than aggressive, and he only hooked our teammates who didn't b when they should have. Our Alch died quite often and didn't really do much all game. We also went without wards for 80% of the game, so it could have turned out much differently if the enemy had worked better together.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 19-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    A good TP in the early game can save a game or even win it right from the start just through that.
    So true. At 3k MMR no one expects TPs before sometime in mid-game when the lanes which were decided at game start finally break up. Picking up a scroll along (usually) with my boots when in a farming role, most of the time earlier with supports already turned so many bad situations around.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlechtwetterfront View Post
    So true. At 3k MMR no one expects TPs before sometime in mid-game when the lanes which were decided at game start finally break up. Picking up a scroll along (usually) with my boots when in a farming role, most of the time earlier with supports already turned so many bad situations around.
    Was watching some pro games last night and one of them realistically won the game on the back of their solo safe laner TP'ing into mid on an early mid gank where he cleaned up and got 3 kills, it got him his first big item about 2 minutes earlier than the enemy could deal with and they just had him running rampant from there.

Don't know if anyone saw the recent Na'Vi game vs VP? (not the same game as I talked about above) ... Man that was a mental game 1, Naga Siren being used expertly to totally screw with Lifestealer and just early / mid game positioning from VP that made it so difficult for Na'Vi, really was a masterclass from both teams, VP how to stop an enemy from doing what they want to do in their specific timing window and Na'Vi on how to break even the best setup safety play (hugging towers, etc) and control an enemy jungle.

I had the chance to actually play more than one match in a day yesterday. My friend and I queued up and won a 2 out of 3, so that felt good. The first game had me doing well as Timber, the second felt like holding the enemy at bay until our PL came online, and the third was a frustrating Least Played where we were solidly outplayed.

Had another chance to play several in one day, and my friend and I went 4-0. Soooo, I'm pretty sure we're going to get pounded and set a new losing steak next queue.

Also, maybe it's because I haven't really played ranked since getting a score, but I feel like I always lose when I bother with it. It would probably even out (or slightly improve) if I stuck with it, though. The one game with curryking/rockman was winnable, but we we had a lot of things go wrong. Glad to get a match with an RPSer, though!