Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1345
    Lost 9 out of my last 10 games. Things had been going well with me getting back up to 50% win/loss, but I guess it's one of those slump times again.

TI4 wildcard play-ins are tomorrow and prelims begin wednesday. Woo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Time for a new thread me thinks.

Obscure Node
    I'm on the same run, seems like the match making wants me to play with people fresh out of or are about to be put into low priority.

I joined Whyx for a match and played a pretty mediocre Omni, but won a good game as Jakiro shortly afterward. I think I will just play stun supports when solo queueing, and try to stick to initiators when teamed up.

My current top heroes are Slardar, Earthshaker and Weaver, with Elder, CM, Viper and Jug coming in after that. Timber is up there on my most played, but my games with him tend to go well right up until we lose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Lost 9 out of my last 10 games. Things had been going well with me getting back up to 50% win/loss, but I guess it's one of those slump times again.

TI4 wildcard play-ins are tomorrow and prelims begin wednesday. Woo.
    That game against Meepo we lost as 5 irked me so much lol...... we started off 13-1.

I thought we were doing super boss but at the end 3 of us had <1 k/d ratio. Our Luna guy was a little inexperienced it looked like by the items list.

We really should've won that game

Last team game before that I lost... lost very badly.

Last game I won has oddly been a solo queue :P

Soo, after a long hesitation, I've just started playing dota 2, having no background in any similar games...
    I am really enjoying it so far, although I've only played a couple of bot matches after completing all the tutorial section. So I have a couple questions for more experienced players, anything to read apart the Purge Welcome to Dota you suck guide? How do I know if the in game builds are worth anything? And also, if anyone is interested to play, please get in touch!

You have joined the RPS guild right? If so just use the chat and you'll likely find a list of friendly people to play with in no time.

I can't remember any general purpose guides offhand but there are hordes of hero specific guides to look at. Just take everything with a grain of salt and try different ones. Some guides are meant for very high level of play that are not always optimal in entry level games and others are just pub-stomp builds and so on. Finding out if builds are worth anything is part of the fun. When I learn a new hero I like to go in blind the first game without guides and just wing it, only then I will check several guides and see if they may be similar or an improvement or even just a situational alternate for what my first thoughts were.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfrederique View Post
    Soo, after a long hesitation, I've just started playing dota 2, having no background in any similar games...
    I am really enjoying it so far, although I've only played a couple of bot matches after completing all the tutorial section. So I have a couple questions for more experienced players, anything to read apart the Purge Welcome to Dota you suck guide? How do I know if the in game builds are worth anything? And also, if anyone is interested to play, please get in touch!
    Yea just ask us while we're in the Dota guilds, in a few days you'll have friended a lot of us regulars. Just make sure you let whoever you are playing with know you are new, otherwise they might get annoyed if they expect too much from you (most everyone will check your games played number though :P).

There's good ways to practice like the modes with bots or playing 1 v 1 solos against steam friends and such. I'd suggest trying out as many heroes as you can on your own.

The most you will learn is in trial by fire though, feeling out the logistics of the game is the way to go basically to become more effective for your team, when you see different things in action over and over again you get to see why things start happening in the game

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Yea just ask us while we're in the Dota guilds, in a few days you'll have friended a lot of us regulars. Just make sure you let whoever you are playing with know you are new, otherwise they might get annoyed if they expect too much from you (most everyone will check your games played number though :P).

There's good ways to practice like the modes with bots or playing 1 v 1 solos against steam friends and such. I'd suggest trying out as many heroes as you can on your own.

The most you will learn is in trial by fire though, feeling out the logistics of the game is the way to go basically to become more effective for your team, when you see different things in action over and over again you get to see why things start happening in the game
    Cool thanks, how do I join the guild?
    For the moment I am mostly trying the limited heroes mode, Viper is pretty cool, but I have a hard time with other heroes.

For the moment I am mostly trying the limited heroes mode, Viper is pretty cool, but I have a hard time with other heroes.
    This is the Steam group, which I think is different from the actual guild: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/casualdotachums

Drop in there and ask guys like Cheynio, I think he in part runs the invites.

Most everyone uses the Mumble program to communicate in-game, so you can install that as well.

And yea limited heroes is a good start, you get the basics from those guys.

Someone just added me to the guid apparently, and I'm installing mumble, thanks.

Someone just added me to the guid apparently, and I'm installing mumble, thanks.
    *high five* :P

I think we need to pick a few stunners when drafting, getting pretty sick of double stun + shadow shamen shackle insta-death,
    happened a few games now, ogre, sven, horrible, although the games are generally good craic, it's not helping my mmr, which I've had to separate out and only do solo ranked, looks like this:

Yea we have a habit of drafting kind of poorly, mainly forgetting to draft against what the other team gets.

And even in games we lose, we generally have great individual play making, but a lot of the time we forget to respond to what the other team is doing as a team. Most of the time it's not a communication thing though, we generally have great communication, I think it's just like an "unforced errors" sort of thing. I think our major weakness in our 5 stacks is being notoriously bad at defending against or responding to 5 stacks anywhere on the map.

Hey dude, I'm pretty new to the game as well, and still in Limited heroes myself, in spite of 1/10 games actually being 5 v 5. If you wanna join up for some beginner fun/frustration, add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/njabbskolt

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Hey dude, I'm pretty new to the game as well, and still in Limited heroes myself, in spite of 1/10 games actually being 5 v 5. If you wanna join up for some beginner fun/frustration, add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/njabbskolt
    Just added you, I'm Alexsd on steam, let's play anytime!
    And yeah, people who leave are extremely annoying, especially when you end up the match in 5v1..

**WARNING** INCOMING WALL OF NOOB-CENTRIC TEXT

That's how I began playing. I had casually played RTS titles throughout the years, but they weren't my strong suit and certainly didn't prepare me for dota.

Bot matches are a great way to get acquainted with the game without ruining other people's matches. Once you can handle medium bots, I'd say you're ready to jump in to real games. It's good that you completed the tutorial -- it would have helped if it were around when I started. Sticking in coop bot mode for a while is okay, but it will leave you with some bad habits. (like not warding, not calling when heroes leave lanes, ignoring the minimap, not carrying TPs)

What bots do well: Coordinate/chain stuns, last hit & deny, TPing/rotating to defend towers, 5-man push/chase. What bots do not do well: They can make silly decisions with pathing (leading to easy kills), they occasionally chase and dive all the way into your base (which is stupid), and they don't prepare you for how actual players play.

I am really enjoying it so far, although I've only played a couple of bot matches after completing all the tutorial section. So I have a couple questions for more experienced players, anything to read apart the Purge Welcome to Dota you suck guide?
    Nearly everything Purge has online is helpful, though I'd say he's a "do as I say, not as I do" teacher. By that, I mean some people occasionally rag on him for being a 'bad' player, but the truth is that he's a great teacher with average in-game execution. He makes some of the same mistakes we do when pressured, but he's good at spotting those when coaching or in his own replays.

So, check out his videos, guides, and in-game builds. IMO, his "Purge casts a pub" vids are some of the most helpful once you have a handle on the game. In those, he spends less time on individual heroes and addresses good or bad decisions/items/etc as they happen. That brings me to the next part of your post below.

How do I know if the in game builds are worth anything? And also, if anyone is interested to play, please get in touch!
    Even after a year and a half, this is something I struggle with. Not so much deciding which builds are crap or not--you can initially get away with just using the highly-rated ones.

More importantly, you have to look past guides and learn to assess each match individually. In dota, there are very few strategies, items, or builds one could say are always a good or bad idea. Why? Because not only does your strategy have to adapt to what heroes your team has and who you're facing in-lane, but also which heroes will be strong early/mid/late-game, what items they will buy, and how they can counter your own abilities. IMO, once you have the basics of the game down, learning to constantly assess the match is the most important thing.

Things like this: Constantly getting ganked? Make sure you have wards up and hide or hug the tower. Let's say Nightstalker leaves mid to gank. First off, let's hope your mid calls him missing so you have time to play safe. Secondly, if your mid can't do anything about the gank, they should be 1) getting every last hit they can in that lane while it's uncontested; and 2) if all enemy positions are known, they should be pushing that lane to do damage to the enemy tower. It's one way you can punish enemies even when you can't TP to prevent the ganks they're attempting. If NS was called missing and you played safe enough to avoid dying, then he wasted time, experience, and gold by being out of lane. Not only that, but your mid had a chance to get more xp, last hits, and maybe even beat up on their tower.

I'm not even a "good" player, and there are much more complicated things to think about as your skill progresses. Always be willing to admit what you don't know and adapt to the situation.

Don't rely on invisible heroes as a crutch -- they're easy to win with in early play, but they're easily countered by dust and wards when people know what they're doing. (still annoying though) Oh, and stuns. If you have the choice between a hero with stuns/disables and one that doesn't, chances are that stuns/silence/disables are what your team needs more than another DPS hero. Again, I can't say "always," but for most of us that land around or below 3k MMR, it rings true.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 15-07-2014 at 02:47 PM.

a few things that made life easier for me in game, understanding engagement ranges, I used to die so much because I was out in no mans land or just out of position away from team mates or a friendly tower by a little bit and ganked, there are tricks to staying close to your tower and still getting XP like pulling creep camps into your lane creeps.
    learn about damage types, which abilities do which type and which items defend against which type, for instance death prophet ulti does physical damage so a pipe for instance will be useless against it.

anything to read apart the Purge Welcome to Dota you suck guide?
    Watch some streamers, I personally like Purge, some people don't, but he explains during stream, a lot of streamers just play without commentary. Wagamama streams and commentates a bit and explains whats and whys, he is a chill guy and my favourite to watch, he is at TI4 so won't be streaming until after but see what you think then

Quote Originally Posted by Gridreign741 View Post
    Wagamama streams and commentates a bit and explains whats and whys, he is a chill guy and my favourite to watch, he is at TI4 so won't be streaming until after but see what you think then
    On that note, I highly recommend the Newcomer's Stream (also available in-client) when spectating TI4. It's not for everyone, but they focus on explaining the game mechanics in an easily digestible manner. I find it fun to switch over to it every few matches, especially if it's Purge. (a few different people cast for it at times) So, check it out, Alfrederique!

I don't want to clutter this thread, though, so be sure to check out the RPS TI4 mega-thread.

Thanks everybody, I'm taking notes of all of this! And I've been watching some of the Ti4 matches last night with the newcomer commentary in-game, it's incredibly helpful and still fun to watch, so I might end up watching most of the main event. Plus being able to move the camera/pause the game makes it a really interesting way to just watch one player and try to see what they do.