Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

RPS Character Quiz Number 2: Electric Bookahloo

Our previous character quiz yielded some interesting results... however:

• There was some call for questions about alts.
    • Things might have changed in the light of the last stress test!

So now I present to you - a brand new character questionnaire!

Quiz here

Summary of responses here

Further graphs and delicious pies to follow at a later time.
    Please let me know if anything is broken.

Why yes, this is something else to distract me from the excruciating length of time until the game launches :P

EDIT: Okay wrong link. Try now. XD
    Last edited by Screwie; 05-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Well played sir.

Also, before I fill it in, should there be drop downs or is it free format?

Edit, also nice GW2 joke in the title. I saw this one yesterday:

What do you call a burnt Charr?
    Charrcoal *badum tish*

Haha!

Apologies, I was linking to the spreadsheet that collates the results and not the quiz itself. Should be fixed now.

Didn't take long to complete.

*stubbornly refuses to pick a main character*

I'm sure I'll love them all equally!
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

Done!

Obsessive compulsive person that I am I could have also told you all 5 question answers and posted screenshots of what they'll look like!

Let me know if you'd prefer this in another thread but thinking about characters perhaps we could share and critique peoples planned builds - here's my Warrior: http://ninjalooter.de/gw2/charakter-...00000000020570 (it always loads in German but just click the en in the top right to switch)

Activated Node
    Just as I predicted - we'll have way too many mesmers. That's a pity. Well, I'll have to learn to play Ranger for PvP.

EDIT:
    Timofee, I hate you. I will spend way too much time on this character planner before and after release. I'll let you know what my charracter (geddit?) will look like in few days, after I'm done with tinkering. And then, on 25th, I'll create something entirely different just because I'll change my mind for reasons unknown.
    Last edited by Aedrill; 05-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrill View Post
    Just as I predicted - we'll have way too many mesmers. That's a pity. Well, I'll have to learn to play Ranger for PvP.
    Please play what you want to play.

Let me make this absolutely clear, if anyone associated with this guild EVER tells you can't play a particularly class because there are too many or whatever, let me know, because they are not someone I want to associate with.

This is about fun, not filling some quota. That said if you enjoy both - play both!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Please play what you want to play.

Let me make this absolutely clear, if anyone associated with this guild EVER tells you can't play a particularly class because there are too many or whatever, let me know, because they are not someone I want to associate with.

This is about fun, not filling some quota. That said if you enjoy both - play both!
    I want to play whatever class is the best for the team, only then I will enjoy playing this game fully. Don't worry, I won't pick anything that will make me feel miserable I think I will want to play as a scout/saboteur in WvW so I will pick my class and gear to match this role. For sPvP I'm planning to do a lot of testing, tinkering and most probably failing until I find my favourite play style. In PvE I will play as whoever I want. So don't worry, I will have fun anyway.

.... too much time on this character planner before and after release....
    Then I shouldn't mention this other char planner which allows you to even customize your gear's upgrade slots. Another feature it has is that is show what boons/conditions you cover with your spec and that is most excellent.

Le link: http://www.gw2skills.net/editor/en/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I want to play whatever class is the best for the team, only then I will enjoy playing this game fully.
    The class you enjoy playing the most is the best for the team. Stop being so beta.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    Then I shouldn't mention this other char planner which allows you to even customize your gear's upgrade slots. Another feature it has is that is show what boons/conditions you cover with your spec and that is most excellent.

AAAAARRGHHHHHHHH!

*Disappears for weeks.*

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    The class you enjoy playing the most is the best for the team. Stop being so beta.
    Let me give you an example. I like playing scout/sniper in ArmA 2. Thing is, it's very popular class so when you join any community there's a good chance it's already taken. When it happened to me I had to find other role I'd like to fill in my team, so I decided to be AR. And it was fun! No, I couldn't snipe, I wasn't spotting targets for the rest of the team but I was still very important part of the team and I realised that, what I love about ArmA, is not shooting people in the centre of mass but team play. It doesn't really matter what weapon I'm using (besides grenade launcher. I don't get how this shit works in ArmA) as long as I'm playing with people and I'm actively working towards success of the team. There's nothing beta about it, If I ever feel that my current role in the team/guild gives me no satisfaction, I'll change it but I will still take overall strategy of my team into consideration.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I understand what you're saying, but what I mean is that this is not how GW2 is supposed to work when it comes to profession choice. Ideally there would never be a situation where it would be strictly necessary to have a particular profession over another. Role yes, profession no. What the roles are has yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post

This is a great build tool and the one I use. Although I've not even begun to plan my main builds yet, this is approx my preferred Ranger build in sPvP link.

Network Hub
    Just as I predicted - we'll have way too many mesmers.
    There's no such thing as "too many mesmers". I have fond memories of the all-mesmer teams in GW1, really awesome fun.

Also, someone fix these damn forums on Chrome, plz.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but what I mean is that this is not how GW2 is supposed to work when it comes to profession choice. Ideally there would never be a situation where it would be strictly necessary to have a particular profession over another. Role yes, profession no. What the roles are has yet to be determined.
    I know but mesmer will never be as good tank as guardian and warrior will never be as effective support as engineer. They're all capable of taking any role but if we want to stay competitive we'll need to look for something better than just good enough. But don't worry, just because I picked mesmer as my first class, doesn't mean I want to play only mesmer FOR EVAR. I just want to start with this class and see what happens. I will play sPvP with it as well, it's only WvW where I'll be paying closer attention to what is needed to help my side win the match.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    There's no such thing as "too many mesmers". I have fond memories of the all-mesmer teams in GW1, really awesome fun.

Also, someone fix these damn forums on Chrome, plz.
    I wish my friends didn't abandon GW1, I'd love to play some of it... What problem do you have on Chrome? It works perfectly here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Would there be an issue, if I redone the quiz? I forgot couple ideas, I got over the weekend at a lake.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Would there be an issue, if I redone the quiz? I forgot couple ideas, I got over the weekend at a lake.
    No probs, PM me your original responses and I will delete them from the spreadsheet. In the meantime just fill it out again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Thanks. Resubmitted answers.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Activated Node
    OK, so I made my first build. It's probably completely rubbish but I want to start with this and see what happens. It's heavily focused on condition damage, obviously so staff is the main weapon and sword is used mainly for self defence, if something goes wrong and enemy is getting too close. I've got some other ideas about utility skills, for example I'm thinking about putting something that will help me run away if things go south but there's a trait that should let me do this theoretically.

You can start laughing now. I'm happy to hear your opinion. Say whatever you want to say, I'll just sit here in the corner and weep.

EDIT:
    One more thing. This builder ignores traits when calculating condition damage. It's actually ignoring everything, even my signet, which is a shame because it's hard to see how effective is this build.
    Last edited by Aedrill; 05-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.