Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gw2 pvp

There a good site for newbies guides for sPvP (and/or WvWvW) and/or builds yet? Or is it all so up in the air that it doesn't exist yet?

Cheers!

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Not one that I'm aware of, balance and things keep changing every beta weekend so it's hard to build anything solid.

But I'm sure a few peeps around here can help with more general tips depending on your class :]

Network Hub
    I can't seem to find any more detailed information about PvP or WvW game modes. I'm new to the game so i'm not very familiar how interesting this aspects are.
    this article looks like a good complimentary information for this thread.
    will keep checking this thread for more info though.

I'm working on a set of articles which purpose are to demistify certain parts of pvp/help people understand their preconceived notions from other pvp games might not be valid due to the difference between capture point play and team deathmatch.

most are used to some kind of arena/deathmatch style kind of play

in mmo's most are used to some kind of resource mechanic (mana/energy/...)

and last but not least most are used to some fixed kind of role/position (eg support b lane in LoL)
    most are also used to games where you can oneshot people xD

none of this applies to gw2
    then add a downed mechanic
    no resource/unlimited resource and ur only bound by cooldowns
    no role/build/profession is set in stone

and u get a game where you can realistically keep a capture point by denying it, wiping out the enemy team, and continue doing so much more effectively than in any other game where resources would run out for the surviving team, where the 'loser' would respawn with full capacity and keep coming back with the same strength and vigor while yours diminishes over time while you defend.

in gw2 you could argue your strength increases with every succesful defense, making it harder for the enemy to make timed grouped attacks (when u start getting the domino effect) or making them lose time on regrouping or even through sigils that gain stacks on killing foe

then there is the play between equally skilled teams, where in other games the difference would often be made be an under or overperforming member of either team, in gw2 making a comeback is much more a matter of strategy than pure killzerging

By just delaying fights/staying alive, the team with the point advantage can gay the enemy out until they reach the needed points to win, you're suddenly not only wanting/needing to kill the enemy but also need to cap a point or its over

when you desperately need a capture point = time is messing with you

and its this time constraint that has such a large impact on behaviour much greater than "first to reach 20 kills wins"

I've had so much more fun than I was expecting in sPvP (I thought I'd be all about the WvW).

I'm half way through Rank 10 at the moment and still enjoying myself. I specced a Warrior for huge Hundred Blades to catch out anyone who's silly enough to get caught (or to pick on that character who has just popped his defensive CD half way through the fight ).

Network Hub
    I'm loving playing some sPvP at the moment. If anyone's interested in getting a group together to play around and maybe join one of the more casual tournaments, post here and maybe we can get something going.

Amazing set of posts full of delicious information for the noobs out there. It is worth reading even if you don't plant to pvp, as he explains a lot of the game mechanics.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...g_you_need_to/

Is it possible to join spvp in a group? If so we should think about trying to get a pool of players together so we can run some battlegrounds together. Nothing really strict or formal just once a week would be great.

Network Hub
    sPvP in pubs wasn't alot of run, it seems people were more interested in going for kills then playing the objective. If someone wants to organise a group for sPvP, I would be happy to join with my rifle-specced Warrior.

Obscure Node
    An sPVP group sounds like good idea, so if one is being put together I'd be interested. Mostly going to be using an elementalist for pvp I think.

Activated Node
    I play sPvP on my thief pretty well. Good at 1v1's and far capping. If anyone ever wants to set up a tourny team my char name is Aphelion Yewspire

I reached PvP Rank 20 last night. Made my Guardian and Elementalist new sets of armour and weapons.

Massive Charr Guardian rocking a Flame Sword and Flame Shield is pretty sick looking.

Has anyone come across Free Tournament Tokens for a while? I spend about 20,000 Glory on chests last night and didn't get one!

Do you get them for winning Free Tournaments all the way to Round 3? Not done enough Tournaments

I'm only weighing in at Rank 5 PVP so far but am definitely up for some organised games with you lot. Thursday nights always work well for me, otherwise randomly here or there I may have free evenings. I play mesmer and am enjoying a hybrid crit/illusions/survivability sort of build at the moment which does me well for 1 vs 1 encounters and general roaming/defending.

Network Hub
    I played some spvp for the first time today as a d/d thief. Was pretty fun, even though I was a bit intimidated in advance. I think I did all right, too, as I was at times the top player in my team. I even got halfway to rank 3, yay.

Activated Node
    I nicked an elementalist build off the internet and played for 5 hours straight back on Wednesday - I hadn't done any more spvp since BWE2, it was my first since launch. Got to rank 6 in 1 afternoon, so not too bad I thought Would definitely be up for joining in an organised guild group with voice comms now that I got to pug a bit and get to know the maps.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Ok, off the back of a load of sPvP this evening with my engineer (surprisingly awesome when the traits don't inexplicably unslot themselves) we need to get the team going properly.

So lets get a nice list together of those who want to team up for some tourney funs.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    Tried the structured pvp last night with some friends.

First couple of games went well, then we bumped into a group who seemed to know how to play their classes and actually stayed grouped together! Needless to say we got stomped.
    i'd agree. there are many really good groups out there. makes this mode even more fun and exciting.

Network Hub
    Yeah. A lot of them do exist, and that's where the game became so exciting.

Basically, teamwork is a necessity.