Thread: Port Forwarding

Obscure Node

Port Forwarding

I've been playing Men of War for a while now and some NAT problem is supposed to be solved by forwarding some ports. The only problem is that I've practically tried everything and, no matter what, I can't forward those ports. I've downloaded two different programs for the forwarding and one for setting up a static IP and nonetheless it doesn't work. I have a Symantec router with Gateway 360.

The simplest way to forward your ports using most routers is to simply login into it using any browser and look for the port forwarding menu.

The address of your router is most likely 192.168.1.1 and if it's something else, you can check it by looking up what's the default gateway on the connection that you are using.

You most likely do not need to download any programs to do this. And quite definitely no program is going to change your IP to a static one - this is determined by your ISP.
    Last edited by mlaskus; 29-06-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: bacon

Obscure Node
    I already did that, I added the ports that had to be forwarded to the Router and it still wouldn't work. I only used that program because it was, quite literally, my last hope. Apart from that I thought you could just make your IP static by yourself, with your Network Adapter and all that jazz? At least that's what I did.

Could you post a screenshot from your router's port forwarding menu?
    Maybe you did something silly.

NAT takes care of the translation of addresses between networks, it should all be handled automagically by your router and your ISP.
    Static IP addresses are in short supply right now, so your ISP is assigning you a new dynamic address every time you connect to the network. It is a workaround the issue, allowing a lot more people to connect using the limited address space.
    So no program on your PC is going to let you have a public static IP address. You might and probably do use static addresses in your LAN network, because you have way more addresses available there than you would ever realistically need.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Have you checked out simpleportforwarding.com? It's damn helpful for that sort of thing.

It can get more complicated. I used to have port forwarding problems all the time. I had the router set up, and it didn't work. The router was behind a cable modem that had no firewall, so that wasn't the problem. I finally realized that the third box in line was blocking something, but I could never fix it.

Moral of the story: it may not be your router that's the problem if you have it configured properly, assuming you have more boxes upstream.

Indeed, good point Noghri, haven't thought about that.

@timmyvos
    Do you know how your router connects to the internet? Is it connected to another router using an Ethernet cable or a WiFi connection? Or do you have a modem(built in or standalone, no matter) which connects to the internet directly?

If you are connecting directly then it shouldn't cause any problems with port forwarding. If your router is connected to some local network then you would have to ask the network's admins to forward the relevant ports to your router.

Fuck ports and the forwarding thereof. That is all.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Have you checked out simpleportforwarding.com? It's damn helpful for that sort of thing.
    That's the program I used and still it doesn't work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyvos View Post
    That's the program I used and still it doesn't work.
    My apologies; I actually meant the guides at http://www.pcwintech.com/port-forwarding-guides

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    My apologies; I actually meant the guides at http://www.pcwintech.com/port-forwarding-guides
    Unfortunately they don't have guides for Symantec routers so I can't do anything with it. Thank you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Fuck ports and the forwarding thereof. That is all.
    Damn right... I thought uPnP stopped all this nonsense?

Have you considered trying a different router? Perhaps nick a friends one for a few hours to test it out. Make sure they take a note of their passwords though or it's all terrible all everwhere. I used to have an antiquated linksys router that simply wouldn't do what you told it. It wasn't capable of certain port forwarding behaviour, in the end I just binned it. And then hosted a Borderlands game for the first time.