Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar

Relaxing games tips?

I'm looking for games to just chill out with, not a specific genre or style, just things that aren't stressful or require complex problem solving. It's easy to just say "casual games" but I'm looking for something a bit more involved than Peggle here.

So, any tips for games to play when you come home after a tiring day and want to just curl up with a blanket on the armchair with a cup of cocoa and relax for a bit?

The Undergarden comes to mind.

Very relaxing, not overly complex but very compelling all the same.
    Basically you fly around making flowers bloom and listen to soothing music at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Something like the Total War games maybe? They may be slightly complex, but there's no real time component, so you can make moves on your own time. There's also Audiosurf; pick some chilled music and calmly play along to that. Don't have to play for long, so time investment isn't a problem.

Seems like all the Total Wars have demos on Steam too, as well as Audiosurf.

The Sims. This was always mine, anyway. The building, management, and presentation are all so pleasant, and the degree of challenge, the amount of resistance when trying to move up the social ladder or keep a large household going, is just right. I've sunk countless carefree hours into that game.

As for recent stuff, Anno 1404 is an unusually friendly (in ease of use and in attitude) city builder, and city builders are intrinsically relaxing so that's just icing on the cake. There is complex problem solving, but you're generally free to solve those problems at your own pace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Knytt Stories -- A relaxing exploratory platformer. Simple, lovely visuals, soothing music, and many excellent player-designed levels. And free!
    http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt+Stories

Oh, and I found Braid very relaxing -- some tricky puzzles yes, but wonderful graphics and music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Knights of Legend

Check out Flow by Thatgamecompany, it's a really relaxing flash game about eating other underwater creatures and growing larger. On the PS3, the same company made Flower, which is also very relaxing (and very beautiful). Actually, anything by them fits the bill.

In addition to the games mentioned; Chime, The Wonderful End of the World, The Guild 1 & 2 and the Civilizations come to mind.
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Network Hub
    Minecraft, put it on easy so there is no mobs. Then you can just wander around and build. You could use toomanyitems if you don't want to mine

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...nvedit-may-28/

I usually go for Left 4 Dead 2 or Dead Space 2, both on normal, if I want to relax with a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The original flash version of flow is here:-

http://interactive.usc.edu/projects/cloud/flowing/

Also Audiosurf on mono with some ambient music is good, and another +1 for the suggestions of Undergarden and Sims 3 though don't make a large household. Also Zen bound 2 (on Steam) is kind of chilled.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    A relaxing game for me is a regular game with a different mindset/game settings. But some games never qualify, games that will punish you with persistent punitive measures, like mmo's with harsh death penalties or the die in lava lose everything of minecraft.

But games with death, like spelunky, simple action games, stealth games (lots of lulls in the action(I mean quiet moments, not lulz)), rts comp stomps (skirmish games against easy AI, (campaigns are almost never relaxing because of stupid triggers), a game I have found very suitable was torchlight but now I can't stand to play it because its so inane between configuring skills and shopping/equipment management.

I am a big sufferer of multiplayer anxiety, I've left multiplayer games sitting on the shelf because of the fear of screwing up, but the right game played with friends chatting over the mic is a wonderful candidate.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Denim Warrior View Post
    I usually go for Left 4 Dead 2 or Dead Space 2, both on normal, if I want to relax with a game.
    I find the opening bars of the tank music the opposite of a relaxing experience. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    So, any tips for games to play when you come home after a tiring day and want to just curl up with a blanket on the armchair with a cup of cocoa and relax for a bit?
    I think you probably want a console.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Denim Warrior View Post
    What? Left 4 Dead is an intense multi-player co-op shooter garnished with horror elements. Thatís about as relaxing as a sandpaper thong.

Black & White is pretty relaxing. Itís basically a pet simulator with a minor degree in strategy. Mostly you can just faff around and train your creature at your own pace.

Sid Meier's Simgolf is pretty nonchalant. You run a gold course which doesn't have the high maitenance demands of Theme Park. You can create a golfer and challenge your visitors to matches any time you like. Might be a hard game to find though.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 30-06-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Osmos is a lovely little indie game which I find quite relaxing.

The objective is to make your little cell bigger by absorbing other cells of lesser size. The soundtrack is brilliantly soothing.

Osmos and Eufloria are quite relaxing... but also quite boring at times, I'd say..
    I found both Portal games quite relaxing, Braid is great, Chime is also a great little game (if you like music).
    But my favorite in "calm" games is The Longest Journey (and Dreamfall)...
    And Minecraft.
    Last edited by G915; 30-06-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Testing 1 2 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The Longest Journey was one of my first thoughts, though point & click adventure is only relaxing if you’re not the type to go stark raving bonkers after wasting three hours trying to figure out what you’re supposed to be doing next. Dreamfall is much more forgiving in that aspect, so I’d recommend it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    +1 for the Total War games. Even the real-time battles are quite slow, and you'll generally be rewarded if you're patient (ie, sit back and let your line of archers do their work).

and +0.5 for Minecraft. I get stressed about getting lost in the dark. And then blown up.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I find Just Cause 2 quite relaxing. Floating around the islands, blowing stuff up, stealing vehicles, lazily racing police cars. I guess it's because it's fairly easy - as long as you don't actively seek out trouble by blowing up a military base, there are never enough enemies to be a significant challenge.