Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I would highly suggest Magic TG: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Its not a really hardcore game, its turn-based, and it doesn't require a long time commitment. Even if you've never played Magic before (or are horrible at it, like me) its still a fun game to play when you have a half hour here or there.

I recently bought Europa Universalis 3: Chronicles and I think (for me personally anyway) that its very relaxing. The initial learning curve may be a little steep (not as bad as the screenshots make it look), but its definately a "take your time and do things at your own pace" kind of game. The game is designed incredibly well, and the AI is also very intelligent (much much better than Total War games) Plus, its on sale now on steam for $7.50!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I find the opening bars of the tank music the opposite of a relaxing experience. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    What? Left 4 Dead is an intense multi-player co-op shooter garnished with horror elements. Thatís about as relaxing as a sandpaper thong.
    You guys need to check the batteries in your Troll detectors.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Network Hub
    @Kadayi

I do actually find the rest of the game pretty chill if I'm playing single-player through the opening chapter on a low difficulty.

Banned
    I actually feel that TF2 is fairly relaxing. I can just sort of turn myself off and blow stuff up like some purely reactionary reptile. It only starts getting tense when i get angry because of some stupid, unjust death (lag, Saharan spies with no decloak noise, etc.) It's particularly soothing playing as the soldier btw because hurling rockets is simple, direct and doesn't require too much thinking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Any TBS or grand strategy game that I already know how to play. Learning them is often a fairly intense experience, but because of the way they're paced, playing them once they're familiar is almost meditative in my opinion. I find this true even in the case of very difficult games of the genre, but then I kind of enjoy losing if the resultant story is entertaining.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Audiosurf, put on some chill music and ninja-mono mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I think you probably want a console.
    Why on earth would I want that?

Thanks for the tips everyone, with sales going on and lots of summer time this seems like a great time to play stuff I otherwise wouldn't :)

Did anyone mention Beat Hazard?
    I don't know what the price is at the moment, but Beat Hazard: Ultra is the kind of simple, shooty fun that you can play for a few minutes or get lost playing for a few hours (depending on your music and how quickly your eyeballs bleed). I wasn't really taken by Beat Hazard at first, but the Ultra update makes it way more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnostril View Post
    Did anyone mention Beat Hazard?
    I don't know what the price is at the moment, but Beat Hazard: Ultra is the kind of simple, shooty fun that you can play for a few minutes or get lost playing for a few hours (depending on your music and how quickly your eyeballs bleed). I wasn't really taken by Beat Hazard at first, but the Ultra update makes it way more enjoyable.
    What's Ultra do, exactly? I played a bit of the original and thought it was cool looking, but it didn't really hold my attention at all.

Two words: The Polynomial. You fly around a 'space' environment created by fractals that pulse to whatever music you put in (or a rad accompanying soundtrack), shoot at blacklight-and-neon pacmen, and save jellyfish. If you die, you respawn instantly. It's a beautiful experience, not too complex, and it zens you into some satisfying-but-not-too-consequential action. It helped me relax at the end of the day during some very, very rough times last year.

There's a highscore that tracks your last 1, 5, 20, and 60 minutes of playtime, but I prefer to simply enjoy my pacmen-shooting and intergalactic jellyfish-saving. There's also a free-fly mode wherein you can remove the enemies, and in whatever mode, if you ever have enough of one particular environment, you can just wormhole over to the next. Watch the trailer and you'll see what I mean. Ooh, and it's also $3.40 during the sale right now. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    What's Ultra do, exactly? I played a bit of the original and thought it was cool looking, but it didn't really hold my attention at all.
    Mostly it adds more variety and the game ends up way more frantic and engaging.
    New enemies (from 4 in the original to about 9 now I think) which require different tactics, a few more bosses, and new power-ups (missiles, beam, reflector shield) that give you more options during gameplay. The new weapons are actually quite satisfying to use, and the perks system allows you to customize a bit depending on your play style (nothing drastic, stuff like extra points or more of certain weapons, etc...).

I bought Beat Hazard when it came out on an impulse buy and barely touched it because it was rather bland, but with Ultra I actually play it regularly. It seems they've also tightened up the way it syncs to your music as well, although that might just be an impression.

@mcnostril

Sounds interesting. At $2.50 I'll almost certainly give that a try, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Basilicus View Post
    Two words: The Polynomial. You fly around a 'space' environment created by fractals that pulse to whatever music you put in (or a rad accompanying soundtrack), shoot at blacklight-and-neon pacmen, and save jellyfish. If you die, you respawn instantly. It's a beautiful experience, not too complex, and it zens you into some satisfying-but-not-too-consequential action. It helped me relax at the end of the day during some very, very rough times last year.

There's a highscore that tracks your last 1, 5, 20, and 60 minutes of playtime, but I prefer to simply enjoy my pacmen-shooting and intergalactic jellyfish-saving. There's also a free-fly mode wherein you can remove the enemies, and in whatever mode, if you ever have enough of one particular environment, you can just wormhole over to the next. Watch the trailer and you'll see what I mean. Ooh, and it's also $3.40 during the sale right now. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

That looks beautiful, I had no idea that there was a game based on Enter the Void.

I never really understood Flow. It just plays like a shoddy Feeding Frenzy, but it's hipster friendly I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    There's a quick look of Polynomial too. I seem to recall finding it an enjoyable video and decent looking game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you have a GBA or early DS lying around then Orbital is pretty relaxing - while also being pretty hard.

I hear Osmos is pretty similar, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the Polynomial recommendation.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Audiosurf. Play relaxing songs.

All the Bethesda games. I love (most) of them, but I don't think anyone can argue they require intense concentration.

Tropico 3

Far Cry 2. That is if you find driving relaxing. You will be very relaxed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    Far Cry 2. That is if you find driving relaxing. You will be very relaxed.
    I think you mistake this forum for one of those places where people ask advice, and everyone feeds them gross disinformation for the lulz.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

You jest, but walking (not running, walking) out in the silent, unpeopled wilderness and desert areas of Far Cry 2's map is very calming.