Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    All the Bethesda games. I love (most) of them, but I don't think anyone can argue they require intense concentration.
    This is true. Fallout 3's setting is a little dire to relax in, but I've had such calmative experiences simply existing in Morrowind or Oblivion, skipping the various forms of fast travel and just walking from place to place, happening upon waterfalls or sunrises or villages in the wilderness, or huddling up somewhere during an intense rainstorm. Oblivion turns really beautiful with the right atmosphere mods.

Orisinal.com

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I think you mistake this forum for one of those places where people ask advice, and everyone feeds them gross disinformation for the lulz.
    I think you mistake my advice for gross misinformation given for "the lulz."

However, I mistake RPS for nothing. I've been coming here and responding to blog posts for four years now.

So spare me the attitude, skip.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    It's a real shame FC2 can't be modded. If you could remove the enemies and weapons, up the number and variety of animals and give you a camera it could be a fantastic pure exploration game with all the different routes you can take through the maps. As it is, having jeeps full of angry men suddenly roar at you is hardly relaxing, although I still enjoyed the game a lot.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    It's a real shame FC2 can't be modded. If you could remove the enemies and weapons, up the number and variety of animals and give you a camera it could be a fantastic pure exploration game with all the different routes you can take through the maps. As it is, having jeeps full of angry men suddenly roar at you is hardly relaxing, although I still enjoyed the game a lot.
    I have high hopes for FC3 since AC1 had a lot of the same problems as FC2, and then Ubi went and nailed AC2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    I think you mistake my advice for gross misinformation given for "the lulz."
    So what exactly is it for then? The OP Skalpadda asked for relaxing games to unwind to. Driving from one guaranteed gun battle to the other in FC2 hardly seems like anything other than a case of attempting to pass off Turkey as Ham.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 03-07-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    turkey ham and cheese toastie. yum

nearly fell asleep playing space chem, does that count.

I am shocked and disgusted that nobody has mentioned it yet: Aquaria.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    I have high hopes for FC3 since AC1 had a lot of the same problems as FC2, and then Ubi went and nailed AC2.
    Here's hoping. But I doubt it will offer the same elements that made FC2 so potentially brilliant. It looks like they are going back to FC1 for inspiration, rather than fixing the faults of 2. Still, looks like it could be good.

As for relaxing games, the suggestions already offered are good ones, particularly management games (be it Anno/Caesar style or The Sims.)

If you are looking for point and click game, how about something from TellTale Games? I've only played Tales of Monkey Island (bought Sam & Max complete a few weeks back, but not got around to it yet,) and enjoyed it very much. Difficulty was low, but not completely without challenge, and it was fairly well written.

Flight simulators. Plop yourself somewhere in free flight mode, and float around the world, swooping and wheeling and all sorts of loveliness.

Activated Node
    Anno 1404 is quite relaxing, although i recommend only playing with easy AI because everyone else will either try to kill you or take all islands before you even know how to produce spice.
    I also like Just Cause 2, just driving and flying around, looking at the beautiful landscape.
    Well that were my two €-cents

The atmosphere of the Settlers games are quite nice to chill out to - a serene feeling of calm comes over me when I'm watching those little pixel men harvesting their crops.

Hmm actually, relaxing while the minions break their backs supporting my kingdom - that's a bit wrong, isn't it?

D

Zuma / Zuma's Revenge have almost meditative qualities. It's a game I play when I need to think.
    --

I think Zen Bound 2 is pretty relaxing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeiterJakab View Post
    I think Zen Bound 2 is pretty relaxing.
    I knew it, kg and quinns leave and all the deviants leave the comment threads to post in the forums.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    So, I googled that, is it really a game about practising bondage on wooden moose?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes (and other wooden objects), and it's only $1 on steam right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    So, I googled that, is it really a game about practising bondage on wooden moose?
    You almost make it sound perverted. It's not just bondage, you also splatter paint on them.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Osmos is a lovely little indie game which I find quite relaxing.

The objective is to make your little cell bigger by absorbing other cells of lesser size. The soundtrack is brilliantly soothing.
    Osmos started out as lovely soothing ambient bubblebath until a huge bloody difficulty curve kicked in a few levels later and I rage-quit and I had to go man-shooting in order to calm down.

I second Settlers and Just Cause 2.
    The first just lets you puzzle around and optimize stuff, but it's a real time-killer. Just Cause 2 can be relaxing for just enjoying the sights and zooming around if you don't have a real beach around.

Also: Mount & Blade. I wasted hours listening to music or podcasts or a good radio show and playing that game. I felt pretty relaxed afterwards and also had expanded my musical experience.
    Just turn down difficulty and enjoy (which seems to be the key for enjoying a lot of games for me recently).