Last quarter WoW lost no subscribers but gained none. Last year before that they lost 1.8million over the year.Notes
· 16.9 million Battle.net users, up from 10 million just 3 months ago.
· 10 million D3 copies sold, with 1.2 million of those from the Annual Pass.
· Most of the WoW Subscription losses were from the East.
· Losses are from people playing Diablo 3 and leaving until the new expansion.
· 4.7 million people watched the event at MLG for Heart of the Swarm.
· Mists of Pandaria will utilize TV and online ads leading up to the launch.
· The China launch Mists of Pandaria will launch as soon as possible, not likely in Q3.
There has been no new content since November 29th, 2011. While patch 4.3 had quite a bit of content, with Transmog, DMF, Raid, 3 new heroics, they basically put everything into the expansion instead of including any small new transition raid like they did with Wrath > Cata (although only 1 boss). Other than small updates and balance changes, twice it took them a full year to transition from major content releases. I understand an expansion is a lot more than patch content, you can't expect a portion of you playerbase to stay interested for so long.
I play off and on and avoid burning myself out as quickly as others. Looking for Raid gives everyone an option to see basic versions of Raids and if that is all of raiding they see, they get bored of it fast. MoP they aim to hopefully give you more options to do things (5man Challenge modes being most interesting in, more daily quest grinds, not so much. Will have to just take them at a casual pace)
Seems what happened to TOR was people were consuming what little end game there was and had nothing else to do.
Another part of the problem is players consume the game content at such blazing speeds and I feel takes away from actually enjoying playing the game and interacting with others. But such as in D3, its to grind as fast as possible to the Best in Slot so I can show the internet how great they are.
*Disclaimer - I have enjoyed all Blizzard games. Not everyone will nor expect them to!