Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

How do you organize your Steam library?

Steam libraries are unruly beasts in need of discipline. Its galloping herds will haphazardly harumph through hayfields unless you fence them in. How do y'all rustle them cattle?

Just made my first categories a few minutes ago. Forgotten is for games that I don't expect to play any more. Waiting is for games that I have never even installed yet. Don't think I need more than that really.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    installed.

i try to only keep ~30 steam games installed at a time.

i mean, how many games can one human play, really?

Nolan North, Steve Blum and Nolan North & Steve Blum. What other categories do you need?
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Done (compressed)
    Daddy's list(its a short ToDo list. My son time shares my pc, he also has his own list, as does my wife)
    Fractal(games that you'll never really finish)
    Multiplayer
    Cooperative
    Incomplete (the biggest by far, thanks alot steam sales)
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 04-08-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I've been experimenting with this as well. I've tried a 'backlog'/'done'/'multiplayer'/'endless' system before, but found it too confusing. I then went with Steam's own genre and picked the most appropriate one 'Action'/'RPG'. This worked well, but I wanted a bit more detail, so I'm now using the following categories:

• !Demo
    • Action
    • Action (Platform)
    • Adventure
    • Business & City Simulation
    • Flight
    • MMO
    • Puzzle
    • Racing
    • Racing (Simulation)
    • RPG (Action)
    • RPG (Sandbox)
    • RPG (Tactical)
    • Shooter (FPS)
    • Shooter (TPS)
    • Space Sims
    • Strategy (4X & Wargame)
    • Strategy (RTS)
    • Strategy (TBS)
    • Strategy (Tower Defense)
    • Unfinished (Alpha & Beta releases)
    • Unsupported (No Windows 7)

Listed like this it looks a little convoluted, but with about 55 installed games I've found it surprisingly easy to find the games I want to start.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't have any organization, I don't see the point. I rarely use the steam library except to install games, and when I'm doing that I know what the game I'm installing is called and can find it easily. Even if I was launching a game from the steam library, I'd know what it was called and be able to find it easily.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Oh, and I sort by last played, that's a big deal.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Mostly by vague genre definitions, mostly straightforward (exceptions include online-only section for games that I only play in multiplayer, and Timewaster for all sorts of fluff games that I get horridly addicted on, Peggles etc). The "Z-list" category at the very bottom hosts things I don't care about and have no desire to ever touch: certain bundle filler, multiplayer mode exes for games I'll never play multiplayer in, Valve's freebies (CS, TF2), betas that appear in my list etc.

I only keep a small fraction of my games installed at any given time due to space issues. Still like to display them visibly though in my lists, makes for neater organisation.
    Last edited by Flint; 04-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Network Hub
    While I don't organize my Library, I did make a category named "Garbage". Sadly, more and more games find themselves tagged with this category, but generally, its for bad purchases or stuff that came in 2-for-1 packs.

Obscure Node
    I have both a stupid amount of steam games and storage space, so I've installed most of them. I've long since given up trying to organise them completely so now I just have "Favourites" (games that are actually my favourites or games I need to remember to play) and then bundled games series that I enjoy under their respective titles (eg. Half-Life, Dawn of War, X-COM etc.) otherwise the rest are listed under the default category.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    installed.

i try to only keep ~30 steam games installed at a time.

i mean, how many games can one human play, really?
    That many? Managing a dozen is enough for me!

Mine are alphabetical, which I guess is default, maybe it's a bit messy but I don't have OCD about it.

I've only got 80 games on my account, of which I have installed about half a dozen on average, so I don't feel the need to take the time to categorize them all.

At the moment, I simply use the "favourite" function in the steam library to highlight the games I currently play, want to play or feel like I should play ^^

I tried on numerous occasions to categorise my library by game class (most successful was "Indie Lagoon", "Hot Manshoots" and some more categories for despiccable DRM and some lesser, bundled indie games), but it's an incredibly clunky feature, organising 150 games into categories is no fun, and to top it all, steam regularly "forgot" the categories when I logged on with another PC. did anyone else have that problem?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I use 5 categories

Explore - which is for open ended games but not necessarily installed
    finished - self explanatory
    To play - Virgin territory
    To replay/unfinished - anything that's been set aside or worth revisiting
    Current games - stuff that I'm presently playing.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Obscure Node
    The uncreative way: by genre, to the extent that Steam allows. The single-category-per-game thing is a bit annoying. I'd like to be able to class, say, TF2 under both "Multiplayer" and "FPS". I may revisit how I categorise it all given how unwieldy it becomes with a growing library and backlog.

Generally keeping track of what I'm playing isn't an issue, because I'm only ever actively playing one or two games at a time.

On a similar note, does anyone use Steam's Grid view for their library? I think it looks pretty, it just seems impractical for large libraries unless you only have a handful of games installed, especially since it ignores your categories.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I don't. Too many games for me to worry about that now, I just leave it on 'all games' even though that means I can see Borderlands 2 and the Mac versions of GTA III, VC and SA all the time. I have everything else I own installed (255 items), thank god for 2TB drives, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    What is the point of organizing them when you can just use the search bar?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    What is the point of organizing them when you can just use the search bar?
    It's hard to know what you want to play when you don't know what you have.