Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Favourites - Installed singleplayer games
    Multiplayer - All multiplayer only games
    Never Gonna Play - Stuff I suspect I will never play
    Random Crap - Stuff steam refuses to remove (TF2 beta, CS:S beta etc)
    Games - Everything else

I've been using Steam since '03 and just realized that making categories was possible. Go figure.

I usually know what I'm looking for by name, so I just type in the first letter or two to find it. Making a "to play" category would probably help me push through unplayed titles, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    Random Crap - Stuff steam refuses to remove (TF2 beta, CS:S beta etc)
    I know what you mean. My Steam Trading Card Beta refuses to disappear.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 05-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I usually know what I'm looking for by name, so I just type in the first letter or two to find it.
    I avoid that feature carefully because all my categories will expand automatically and there's no way to roll them up again in one click.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I avoid that feature carefully because all my categories will expand automatically and there's no way to roll them up again in one click.
    They fixed it!

with shameful remorse

Banned
    Current (installed and actively being played)
    Finished
    To play (not necessarily installed)
    Explore (dumping ground for random stuff that may get played)
    To finish/replay

Generally I only bother showing installed games/software. It's only if I'm in the mood to play something different I look at all games in case I want to pull up something out of the archive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They finally added it! It's glorious. So glorious.

I usually stick with the installed list. Works fine for me.

Some of you tidy blokes make me feel remorseful for not ever using that particular feature of Steam. Seems I'll have to do something about that. Time to distance myself from the 'Installed' list, I suppose.

Network Hub
    I don't see much of a point for now, but i only got 47 games.

If it had an inverted filter, I guess a "finished" category would be handy, since I could then easily get a list of games I haven't finished yet. Tagging games "unfinished" isn't as useful IMHO, and more work in my case.

edit: There. You made me do it. Happy now? I've created a "finished" and a "endless" group. The latter contains stuff that plays differently every time (Civ), sports (racing, punching) or has MP (TF2). Basically, games that keep on giving. Tetris would be the poster child.
    Last edited by DanMan; 17-08-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    edit: There. You made me do it. Happy now? I've created a "finished" and a "endless" group. The latter contains stuff that plays differently every time (Civ, MK) or has MP (TF2). Simply games that keep on giving. Tetris would be the poster child.
    Mine's called NeverEnding: roguelites and other stuff with random levels (e.g. Torchlights), assorted simulators (Simcity, Train, etc).
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Mine's called NeverEnding: roguelites and other stuff with random levels (e.g. Torchlights), assorted simulators (Simcity, Train, etc).
    I like Helio's "Fractal" moniker, which makes me think of this brilliant GDC talk, particularly the line about wanting a game to play with his son for the rest of his life. I don't think every nearly enough games live up to the metaphor (Dota is the one that always springs to mind for me) but it's endearing enough that I use it as a catch-all anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've posted about how I sort my library plenty of times (I started a thread about it a while ago, actually) so I'm not going to do it all again - I may have even already posted here and forgot.

Anyway, since we can multi-categorise now I might add some more categories: Racing wheel, HOTAS, gamepad (maybe also differentiate between Directinput and Xinput, since Steam doesn't map the DualShock 4 to Xinput if I connect it to my laptop directly), trackpad and laptop. The latter two basically being the difference between games my laptop can play natively (it's got an Intel HD 5000 IGP) and those I could play while streaming to it without a gamepad. The problem is setting up these categories would be an enormous task and I can't be fucked, quite frankly, since Steam says I have 638 games which obviously doesn't include emulated games or those bought from Desura, GOG, Amazon, GamersGate, GMG, Uplay, Origin...

Are there well-known and/or frequently updated databases for games that support controllers, games that work well on a trackpad and games that work on Intel's shitty IGPs? I think I could probably handle the wheel and HOTAS categories since it'll probably just mean splitting the simulators category in half...
    Last edited by neema_t; 18-08-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing with Steam Categories in an effort to get 750-odd games into some sort of order and I've ended-up with

BundleBin - all the games I've acquired but didn't really want (105)
    Chestnuts - games I go back to time-after-time - the sort of things you never finish (28)
    Completed - like it says (24)
    Driving- cos I play those a fair bit (43)
    F2P/MP/MMO - mostly MP clients/MMO launchers and F2P things I can't get rid of (27)
    Hmmmm - games I've played and lost interest-in but MIGHT one day go back to (138)
    In Progress - stuff I'm actually playing (40)
    Non-Game - Movies, Mods etc. (3)
    Non-Steam - Like it says (3)
    Pending - Games I'm playing an earlier game in the series of - e.g. sequels (43)
    To Play - Games I intend to play 'soon' (158)
    ZZZZZZ - Games I've tried and binned (146)

We'll see how that works out

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    In Progress - stuff I'm actually playing (40)
    Do you actually play 40 games at a time, or do you finish them consecutively? I find that I can't really concentrate on games when I'm playing too many at a time.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Do you actually play 40 games at a time, or do you finish them consecutively? I find that I can't really concentrate on games when I'm playing too many at a time.
    They're games which are installed and whilst I've played in some way in the last month-or-two - which is 'active play' for me.

I never play one game solidly - I often leave games for months - but they'll stay "In Progress" until I admit I've completely lost my thread on them - uninstall them - put them into "Hmmmmmm" (I'd guess 4 out of 5 of those will end-up like that)

After a recent comment I left in the WYP thread, I think I'll be restructuring my categories with the addition of a new one called "Fond but not in love", for all those games I like but for whatever reason can't stick with.

So I couldn't find another thread about Steam library stuff so I'll ask here: has anyone noticed a change with how Steam detects installed games on external drives after the most recent update? I had Borderlands 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 installed on a hard drive that I have connected with a SATA-to-USB adapter and previously, every time I would try run the .exe of one of those games after disconnecting the external drive, Steam would try to reinstall it before allowing it to run. I would have to select "create a new steam library on drive G" and select the existing folder before Steam would realise that the files were actually already there.

Now, though, when I connect my hard drive and run Borderlands 2, Steam doesn't give a peep and the game starts up immediately. It doesn't show up in my list of installed games, though. That's definitely an improvement, but it makes me wonder what else has been changed. Did anyone else notice new behaviour like this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I did notice that Borderlands 2, the only game I had on my SSD (the rest of Steam is on a dinosaur drive), became 'uninstalled'. It was still in the external library folder but I had to do a thing to get it to re-recognise it, it was after the update that gave us the lovely blue tint that I noticed it 'uninstalled' the game. Maybe they changed something. It was fine before that, though.