Banned

Question to people who follow Minecraft development

Did Notch say anything about possible stat/skill system or any RPG elements in general?

That's basically only thing the game misses at this point to win me over.

Yeah I know mods, but mods don't count when making a purchase decision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Hmm. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned. It wouldn't fit especially well with the game as designed, in my opinion, and I would be surprised if it happened officially.

I can see how one would be made to work nicely, though ... and it sounds like good mod-fodder. I would be equally surprised if such a mod is not either already available or in the works.

Any particular reason you feel Minecraft would be better with it? If you like everything else, and that's the one thing you're missing, we see the game very differently and I'm curious as to how exactly you see it. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Banned
    Because at that point it would basically be the long-awaited spiritual sequel to Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever played those.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

we see the game very differently and I'm curious as to how exactly you see it

I've played both of those, and have absolutely no clue how Arx Fatalis is anything like Minecraft either with or without a skill system.

[Also, it's not Notch's baby anymore. It's more dealt with by the Bukkit guys.]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Obscure Node
    Bukkit guys? I thought Jeb and Dinnerbone had control over development, although I did here they were working with Bukkit.

Network Hub
    Yeah. I've heard about the Bukkit team who joined for the development of the Minecraft server software as well.

Network Hub
    That's perfect. I find it very informative. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Yeah I know mods, but mods don't count when making a purchase decision.
    Why not? They may not be present in every online server you join, but mods are a huge part of Minecraft. Take Mindcrack's UHC, for example: Dinnerbone played it with them, and thought it was so good he (apparently) decided to add it as an optional feature in a future Vanilla update.

I can understand where you're coming from, but for me, modding is a reason TO buy the game, not to avoid it. All the different PVP modes you can have, different expansions to the Minecraft world, adventure maps... all is possible because of an interactive community and the open permissions for modding.
    I blog about games! www.geekonthenet.tumblr.com

Obscure Node
    Xbox one version is coming out next year (2014). Notch will probably implement rpg-like elements for that.