Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Yet another mouse selection thread

It's me again! This time looking for mice opinions. I need to replace my Ikari Laser - the left button got slightly busted, it's double clicking automatically, and also every now and then the mouse will not work after reboot, only it's buttons do.

I am very disappointing, since this thing cost me 70 euros, and it's also THE most comfortable mouse i've ever used. It's ergonomics are so amazing that it makes me really sad to have to replace it. However, the build quality is apparently not quite on par. *sigh*
    So i am now looking for replacement options. I am looking for solid, good quality mouse with a moderate number of buttons (like 2 more, except the standard 2+wheel), nothing crazy. I mostly play DOTA and FPS so precision and comfort come first. I'd like it to feel heavy in the hand and be "big", i have large hands and small mice force me to fold my palm in an uncomfortable position. (That's why i found the Ikari awesome, it's design fits perfectly my hand). Oh yeah, it MUST be a cable mouse, gaming doesn't really work with cordless mice imho.

So far i've got the Razer Imperator as a possible substitute, but i've never owned a Razer mouse so i am not sure if it's a good choice.

What do you guys think? Suggestions?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Banned
    Have you considered simply getting another Ikari Laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Have you considered simply getting another Ikari Laser?

I have, but i am now afraid to get the same for replacement. What guarantees that it won't fail like my current one? Also, they are more expensive than everything else, really. :S
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

I'm absolutely smitten with Mad Catz's Cybrog RAT 7.

Its big selling point is it's completely modular - you can adjust and replace pieces of it to fit your personal taste. Only thing is it's expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    I'm absolutely smitten with Mad Catz's Cybrog RAT 7.

Its big selling point is it's completely modular - you can adjust and replace pieces of it to fit your personal taste. Only thing is it's expensive.

I've had a G500, it developed a kink in the wire and eventually a knackered connection. Decent mouse though.
    Had a RAT 5 for a good few months now and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can find - except it was a bit pricey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post
    I have, but i am now afraid to get the same for replacement. What guarantees that it won't fail like my current one?
    The warranty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Razer have quote good mouse selection so its always a good choice.

I have a bad feeling that lately most things are build to break, slightly after the warranty runs out. My old Logitech MX518 lasted for years and years before finally having the right clicker die, now my (more expensive) Steelseries died after 2 years of use. :/

As for the RAT, i believe it ried the 5 and found it extremely uncomfortable. Dunno if the 7 changed much about that, will try to try it out in a shop.
    --

Why don't you want another 518? On a direct comparison with other mice it may not be the absolute best, but in their price range they are hard to beat. I use one at home and at work as the majority of 'gaming' mice appear to be made for people with freakishly small hands.

I've got a Razer Deathadder and am very content with my purchase. It has 2 extra buttons on the side, a good wheel (so also another button there, although for me it is awkward using the wheel as a button), and overall good responsiveness. It is pretty lightweight though, so maybe that is a dealbreaker for you. If you have doubts about the "fancy" lights, they can be completely, or alternatively in part, turned off.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that people felt that the wheel was a bit sluggish. Personally, I have had no trouble with that.
    Last edited by Squiz; 06-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I've got a Razer Deathadder and am very content with my purchase. It has 2 extra buttons on the side, a good wheel (so also another button there, although for me it is awkward using the wheel as a button), and overall good responsiveness. It is pretty lightweight though, so maybe that is a dealbreaker for you. If you have doubts about the "fancy" lights, they can be completely, or alternatively in part, turned off.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that people felt that the wheel was a bit sluggish. Personally, I have had no trouble with that.
    Same here, the deathadder isn't that light; I'd say it's just the right amount of heavy. I have rather large hands so it's only slightly a bit too small for my fingers but that's the only nitpick I have with it.

Have you guys seen razers new release? The Ouroboros. http://www.razerzone.com/ouroboros

That thing is crazy.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

That Ouroboros looks a lot like the RAT...

I went to a local shop and tried the Imperator out, it's design is fine but not on the Ikari level, atleast for me. It's also slightly smaller and lighter than the Ikari.

Any opinions on Logitech G500? Is it an upgrade to the MX518? Or the Gygabite M8000?

Oh and is G700 a viable gaming option, being wireless? I'm quite doubtful on that one.

Then there's also the G9X, which seems quite weird.

*ponder* what to do...

[edit] Saw a couple of reviews on the G700, and apparently they've made it to 1k updates/s, which is as much as by cable so no wireless lags. The drawback is that it consumes more power, so you gotta charge the battery often. But then there's also a cable with it and you can just use it as a cable mouse. Quite interesting, as it also seems to be heavy "thanks" to the battery, and quite large (not a claw). Might turn out to be the prime contender here, hmm [/edit]
    Last edited by Hunchback; 06-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    --

I had a G500 before moving to the RAT. It's a good no-frills mouse that works well.

The Gigabyte's been discontinued.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I love my G5, best mouse I've had. Nice touches like custom weights (i like my mouse as heavy as possible), adjustable sensitivity (for sniping, when i remember i've got it) and particularly the cotton braiding on the mouse cable (so it doesn't snag on surfaces) make it very nice to use for me. Never noticed any problems with sensitivity and it corded, so no issues with running out of batteries/interference (not had good experiences with wireless mice - probably just me, though). I think it has been replaced by the G500, which looks identical, only not blue/textured like mine (which is like holding a soft blue lizard. Which is... nice?
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 06-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

After quite some research i've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Logitech g700
    + many buttons, without being absurd
    + good design, big and heavy
    + 1khz refresh even through wireless
    - battery life
    - probably worse sensor than other brands

Razer Imperator
    + 4g sensor, latest gen
    + supposed build quality
    - it's a bit small and light for my liking, not all that ergonomic as they say it is

Cooler master Inferno
    + great design
    + great price
    + many buttons
    haven't heard of any drawbacks, except perhaps a lower quality sensor

Cooler master Sentinel Advance 2
    + great design
    + just enough buttons for my liking (4 really)
    + new sensor
    - sensor fails at 8k dpi, which is absurd anyway
    - the metal mesh supposedly started peeling and rusting on the older model

and finally, the "fall-back-to" option:
    Logitech G500
    --

Inferno appears to have issues with working in Windows 7. Bad drivers.

Activated Node
    Would you maybe consider the Microsoft Intellipoint 3.0? It is quite frankly excellent, even if it is aging.
    I've had to buy it only two times, since my friend "borrowed" it from me about 4 years ago. It should be rather cheap though, and the ergonomics are pretty good as well. (i have big hands)
    The sensor is still one of the best around as far as i know, in terms of maximum tracking acceleration, which is a factor if you play with a very low sensitivity. The biggest con would probably be that it is very basic compared to most other mice out there and in your case that it is rather light.

I went from having a 518 for what felt like an age, must be at least 7 years, to a WoW Cataclysm mouse just because I wanted the extra thumb buttons for GW2.

Have to say I really like it provided the game recognizes the extra buttons.

Thankfully GW2 does but other games like SpaceMarine, no amount of tweaking or reconfiguring will make it work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I have a CM Inferno, I really like it. The buttons are sensibly placed, you have 2 under your thumb and one on each side outside the main buttons. There's also a "shift" button that gives you a huge amount of button combinations if you want them, though I rarely use it. The software lets you set them up to mimic keyboard input too, if you're trying to use them with something that doesn't recognise extra mouse buttons.

I don't have any complaints about the sensor, but dpi settings never meant much to me anyway. I find a point that feels comfortable and leave it there, though you can adjust sensitivity or switch between config profiles on the fly.

My wife has the WoW Cataclysm mouse by Steelseries, it IS very nice, large heavy etc...
    Two problems for me though: It has too many buttons and it's too expensive.
    --