Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock, Paper, Onos

We didn't have one of these here before, did we? I hope so because mine wouldn't be unique otherwise.

Anyway, I like playing the infallible Natural Selection 2. Are you like me, except more social and ready to play with total strangers threaded together by a site focusing on games? Do you like aliens? Do you like shooting at aliens? Maybe chewing some nice human heel as said alien?
    Let's see how many we have, yeah? Maybe get a group going, jaw over a glass of milk in the Raging Onos. Shoot each other up a bit.

Anyway, the game's fun but still in beta. You can get into the said beta by preordering the game through here: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ which you then play through Steam.

It's pretty good, not F2P (this means you get all the guns you want for one price! Extraordinary.) and very much fun. Asymmetrical team-based shooter.

Who's in?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Combat Gorge here, I cant help but feel like the group name is wrong... But I don't have ant suggestions at present.

This is one of the few strategic action multi player games which has done it right, Alien Swarm added unlocks, TF2 flooded the whole game with stuff you cant have without grind, as did BF3, Empires never sorted out the conflicts in their engine. But on a meaty PC it runs beautifully and feels like a complete experience already.

I'll be honest, I'm a little out of touch as I've not played recently and patches keep adding things but playing with rps sounds like a good time.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I'm in, sure. I was a huge fan of NS1 and can't wait to get stuck back into some tasty Frontiersmen v Kharaa action.

I've preordered, but I'm not playing it at the moment (I have this thing about betas). I'm definitely going to start playing once they release it, which from what I've read should be in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    TF2 flooded the whole game with stuff you cant have without grind,
    You can also trade items in TF2. Grinding isn't mandatory.

Just bought it and jumped in.
    It was quite the disaster since I have never played the original but the good kind of disaster!
    Most pubs seem decent enough to play with which is a huge relief.
    I look forward to maybe playing this with some rps folk!

Why is this not Rock, Paper, Skulk :D?
    so much for pathos

Network Hub
    Need a steam group!

yeah,i agree, It was quite the disaster since I have never played the original but the good kind of disaster!

Obscure Node
    Fun game.
    +1 on having a steam group!
    Communication between team members is key to make the most of it.

Activated Node
    So is there any long-term interest from RPSers in this? Currently it's always a gamble about whether you'll get into a team with experienced players or not, would be nice being a little organized.

As I am sure many other rps folks did, I picked up NS2 in the steam sale. The game looked fantastic and yay, it is now mine. Spent a bit of time with the tutorials, jumped into my first rookie friendly public server and ... the commander was a complete ass. :/ also he was french like me so I understood his mean words. and I did press "h" ! several times ! but the orders never came. just complaints about "noobs". Charming.

So er, is there an active rps community ?

edit : ah, second pub game had a very nice commander. but still, rps :D ?
    Last edited by Felisc; 20-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    So er, is there an active rps community ?

Not that I'm aware of sadly, although the Steam sale might alleviate that somewhat (NS2 is 60% off flash sale at time of writing).

I'm surprised at the lack of uptake for NS2, it's the kind of game I thought RPS would thrive on (Indie dev, decent community, moddability). Perhaps there have been so many great games released this year that it's divided peoples attention.

I also think that people are concerned about longevity: most indie multiplayer games tend to have a very short lifespan, and perhaps people are afraid of that.

It's not much of a consolation, but I personally don't think the NS2 community is going to die anytime soon, purely because it has already been established from NS1, and that lasted for years.

I'm going to check back here a few times over Christmas, if more people buy it, then perhaps we can get some sort of game or tutorial session going.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Ok, well I'm sold on the game, I played a game with a nice commander and had a great time. Understanding the basics wasn't as bad as I thought, although the second game as the aliens was a bit more confusing. I would definitely be up for some RPS game time.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I'm going to check back here a few times over Christmas, if more people buy it, then perhaps we can get some sort of game or tutorial session going.
    That would be nice ! I played with mr woundedbum tonight, we really had a great time. Hopefully we'll be able to have a bit of a rps group after christmas.

Right, nobody seemed to be stepping up so I went ahead and created an steam group for us.

Behold Rock, Paper, Skulk! Tremble at my legendary MS paint skills.

(Yeah, I know the forum title is different, but 'Skulk' seemed a better fit than Onos).

We'll eventually get around to organising a (weekly?) meet, but in the meantime, perhaps we can use the group chat feature to join each others games.

Other suggestions are very much welcome.

thanks for the initiative airtekh :)
    as soon as i'm back from the family things on the 25th, I'll be an active member ! yay !

Yeah, I'll be busy myself the next few days, I'll be offline from the 25th to the evening of the 26th. I just put the group up now so that it's there for people to join when they get time.

Hopefully we can get our first offical game/event going sometime between the 26th and the new year.

well, i'm back. I should be available tomorrow evening. friday evening too actually, girlfriend away so yay for videogames ! weekend should do it as well.

Okay, discussion. I'd like to get people's feedback on the following, so we can organise things better:

1. FORMAT

What kind of a game would you guys like to play? Relaxed game or a serious game?

I have a feeling most people will be new, and will be learning the ropes so I think a slower paced game might be better (also better for me if I'm commanding since I suck at commander).

2. SERVERS

We don't have a server, I had thought about renting a server, but it seems pointless until we know what numbers we get.

What we can do is either join an empty server, or join a game in progress. With both methods we'll have johnny randoms in the game, but we'll still be all together.

Another alternative is if someone has a very fast internet connection, then they can host a game on their machine and we can password it.

3. COMMUNICATION

In part, this will depend on what kind of game we're playing. If we're playing a serious game, then we can just use the default voice comms in the game, which are fine.

If we're being more relaxed, then we can't talk to each other if we're on opposite teams by default. We can either use something like Steam voice chat or Mumble instead. This will be useful for explaining game concepts and stuff.

Anything else I've forgotten?

1. Slow paced would be nice to start indeed.
    2. Agreed on the server, let's wait a bit before renting one. My connection is not particularly stellar, joining an empty game would work nicely. It seems most of the steam group resides in europe (me too).
    3. for the first game we could use mumble, yeah. Chat a bit and know each other and vote for who has the deepest voice, etc... Also insulting rps folks in the enemy team.

I'll be playing the game this very evening.
    Should we decide on a given day for our first grand meeting of the wise men ?

Network Hub
    I signed up to the Steam group. I don't want to have too much of a voice in deciding stuff because I only just got the game and so have no idea how much time I'll really be committing to it. But joining in for some games with fine RPS folks is too good an offer to pass up, so I'll be watching here and on the steam group to sign up.
    Started writing a blog for video games, roleplaying, game mechanics, and AARs.

http://dentharial.blogspot.com/