Network Hub

Headset Replacement

My headset packed in and I need a new one. My requirements would be:

- Decent, above average mic
    - Reasonable sound quality (doesn't have to be "7.1 surround sound" etc)
    - Durable, something that will last
    - £40/€50/$60 price mark

I only had this newest headset (Speedlink Medusa something) for about half a year, so I'd really like to try and find something that will last me. I had a pair of Sennhiesers a while back that did me for years, so I was thinking something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-M...4452232&sr=8-1

Or these look pretty decent in my price range, although they are USB:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-...4450030&sr=8-4

Any ideas? :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...100-euro-bucks

A tad bit over your budget, but if you can squeeze in a couple of bucks more, you should do it.
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Network Hub
    Unfortunately thats kind of well over my budget, but I'll have a read over the thread anyway thanks :)

Your best bet is the best stereo headphones you can afford and a clip-on mic according to many audiophiles.

Network Hub
    Call me a lazy, shiftless ne'er-do-well, but that seems like a bit to much faffing about for me :p

I ended going for some Sennheiser PC 151s, quite similar looking to the pair I had before so hopefully they don't suck and last me just as long :)

I had an old Medusa headset that gave up the ghost after many years good service. I tried the Sennheiser 151's and ended up sending them back near enough straight away and getting a newer pair of the Medusa NX headphones. The problem with the Sennheiser ones is the length of the mic boom; it barely reached the corner of my mouth and I just couldn't get the damn thing to hear my voice well unless I moved the earphone it was attached to to get the mic right close to my lips. Also they are on ear headphones not over ear headphones like the Speedlink ones, so not as comfortable. I made that mistake myself, as the screen shots are quite deceptive in that it's hard to gauge their size, but they are not very big.

I'm not sure what you did to your last pair of Speedlink headphones but my previous ones lasted me for about 5 years or so, and so far I've had this new pair for about a year with no problems. For the kind of price range you're talking about, the Speedlink ones really are the best you can get for that money. Even the more expensive ones like the Steel series have their problems.

These are the new ones I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-ME...4537342&sr=8-5
    Last edited by Chaz; 09-08-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I'm not sure what you did to your last pair of Speedlink headphones but my previous ones lasted me for about 5 years or so, and so far I've had this new pair for about a year with no problems. For the kind of price range you're talking about, the Speedlink ones really are the best you can get for that money. Even the more expensive ones like the Steel series have their problems.
    I had problems with them from the very start almost; I was constantly informed about how poor quality the mic sounded over TS, one of the speakers in one of the headphones gave out after only a few months, and pretty much out of nowhere they gave up the ghost from a faulty connection at the headphone end just the other day. I was not impressed with them by any stretch of the imagination.

Sennheiser 205-IIs, with a £3 clip on microphone. You don't even need to clip it on, just leave it on the desk and you'll get amazing clarity. The only thing wrong with the Sennheisers is that they're extremely tight for a week or so. My ears would hurt a lot after 30 minutes of use. It doesn't happen any more though.

Network Hub
    Well, if anyone is interested I did end up going for these:

Sennheiser UK - PC 151

Comfort wise the earcups themselves are nicely padded and the fit isn't too tight. They are however on ear, which means they can get a little uncomfortable after long periods of usage, although I've only had them a few days so perhaps I will adjust to that.

Audio quality seems good, and is more than able to meet my needs, and mic quality I'm told is really good, and in comparison to my previous headset is apparently "radio-like clarity", so take that as you will :p

but I'll have a read over the thread anyway thanks

It doesn't happen any more though.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Cole View Post
    My headset packed in and I need a new one. My requirements would be:

- Decent, above average mic
    - Reasonable sound quality (doesn't have to be "7.1 surround sound" etc)
    - Durable, something that will last
    - £40/€50/$60 price mark

I only had this newest headset (Speedlink Medusa something) for about half a year, so I'd really like to try and find something that will last me. I had a pair of Sennhiesers a while back that did me for years, so I was thinking something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-M...4452232&sr=8-1

Or these look pretty decent in my price range, although they are USB:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-...4450030&sr=8-4

Any ideas? :)
    I recommend the stereo type head phone is best for the use and it is not costly...i personally used it for the last 5 years and also recommend to you used this.