Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Epic Completely Bought People Can Fly - What is the future of UT games ?!

What are the chances that People Can Fly,which are now completely owned by EPIC,are going to make new UT game ??

And if they did,what do you think,could they manage to nail the things right *?

I changeed title so people won't think new game was announced.
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 13-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Dammit, man! I thought you're gonna post about a new UT annoucement!
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

^^ Yeah same :(

I still thought that.

Maybe put a ? in there. Or say. Will there be a new UT game?

The problem for Epic these days when it comes to marketing Unreal Tournament:
    Its not Gears of War and its not console centric.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You are a jerk for this thread title.

And no I hope people can fly doesn't touch the UT ip, painkiller was a cool game but you don't send the mario kart devs to make a gran turismo game, or the super meat boy devs to make a mario game.

Let epic do it themselves, maybe they'll finally write some decent netcode for unreal engine while they are at it.
    Let people can fly make their own IP instead of riding on a one people love and shitting on it in the process.

@op: if you want a new UT game then why on earth would you want anyone other than epic to make it anyhow? It wouldn't be an UT game by anything other than name.

I apologize people,but i don't know how to edit the title of thread.

"@@op: if you want a new UT game then why on earth would you want anyone other than epic to make it anyhow? It wouldn't be an UT game by anything other than name."

Because it was a long ago since we had real UT.. I just want to play new one i guess,and i believe in PCF,they made so far quite good games and if they have guidance from EPIC masterminds of UT series,they could manage to do something good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Oh folks, if there was a UT announced it would have spread like wildfire on the internet, Daft wouldn't be the first to announce it here on the forums. ;)

Anyways, I think the question is what room do they have to improve upon it? What can they add to the new one what the previous ones don't have? A bulletstorm kind of score system? An actual story worth playing?

I just hope they will have a change of design, those beefcake character designs are getting pretty old by now.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

As far as I know, UT doesn't even need a story in singleplayer. Just nothing but duels and coming out on top of the tournament, that's all.

What they could improve on though, I think they need to think of newer, more unique weapons for us to shoot with while getting a good balance with the older ones (like the obligatory Rocket-launcher) so they wouldn't be reduced to throwaways. And they could do better with the level designs, which I think it's why most people were put off with the third game. Some levels there aren't really that fun for deathmatches and stuff compared to the previous games
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Voon is right,there is no need for story in UT games,but if there would need to be one i would love to see something like those sport drama's movies,the fighter or something,something serious,which would make you think after the end..But i would rather go without story lol

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post

Because it was a long ago since we had real UT.. I just want to play new one i guess,and i believe in PCF,they made so far quite good games and if they have guidance from EPIC masterminds of UT series,they could manage to do something good.
    Yes, and my point is it wouldn't be a real UT.
    Different people working on an IP makes it a different game entirely.

If justin Bieber tries to write a beatles song and buys the rights to the IP it wouldn't be a beatles song.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Yes, and my point is it wouldn't be a real UT.
    Different people working on an IP makes it a different game entirely.

If justin Bieber tries to write a beatles song and buys the rights to the IP it wouldn't be a beatles song.

But how are you so sure,the point here is that EPIC owns them,they would clearly guide them through development.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    But how are you so sure,the point here is that EPIC owns them,they would clearly guide them through development.
    Ubi has owned the rights to Splinter Cell the whole way through and has owned every single dev team to ever work on it (possibly in a slavery sense). You can definitely tell which games were made by which studio...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Less of UT3's grey looks and so on and more of UT and UTk4's glorious unabashed silliness. Plus as Voon pointed out UT3 just didn't feel as accomplished in the level design. Sort those and job's a good 'un.

I hate being negative Nancy but I don't think there's much room for a new UT next to Quake Live and TF2. Maybe some f2p UT but nothing on the scale that everyone here (including myself, mind you) is hoping for.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

I disagree. With good production values and good level design, Unreal Tournament could definitely make a comeback.

Quake Live mostly appeals to the older players and "pros", doesn't bring in as many new people, and is pretty unknown for most of the gaming community.
    TF2 emphasizes teamwork and hats

Something built from the ground up with an emphasis on just shooting the crap out of people with a few team modes added in (so UT) could definitely take off.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Can an arena based FPS game do OK with a F2P model? What would you charge on? Locking guns / armor would be kinda against the old method of laying out levels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I disagree. With good production values and good level design, Unreal Tournament could definitely make a comeback.

Quake Live mostly appeals to the older players and "pros", doesn't bring in as many new people, and is pretty unknown for most of the gaming community.
    TF2 emphasizes teamwork and hats

Something built from the ground up with an emphasis on just shooting the crap out of people with a few team modes added in (so UT) could definitely take off.
    You had to pay for QL at a certain point, for certain servers and something else; forgot what but it was weird.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    I hate being negative Nancy but I don't think there's much room for a new UT next to Quake Live and TF2. Maybe some f2p UT but nothing on the scale that everyone here (including myself, mind you) is hoping for.
    TF2 is very very far from UT (or quake).
    Different games for different audiences.

Quake live is just quake 3 with loads of lag and no mods...

UT4 wouldn't be a 10 million seller like cod or gears of war (which is why epic is in no rush, GREED) but there is still a huge audience for a new quake or new UT if they did it right (not half ass it or make it have unlocks or some retarded f2p inconvenience money squeeze) and made it as high quality as ut99.

The only competition I can think of would be warsow.

Then again if they'd half ass it they'd bury the IP. (which is far more likely to happen, modern epic doesn't care much for silly things like netcode (ue3 LOL) or image quality or raw mouse input.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Can an arena based FPS game do OK with a F2P model? What would you charge on? Locking guns / armor would be kinda against the old method of laying out levels.
    To my understanding, Quake-Live is currently operating on a rotating number of premium maps. Which I suspect has the effect of ensuring that the premium maps of the month are never played :p

But an F2P model with optional subscription could easily work for an arena shooter. just lock modes.

Free: Deathmatch, maybe TDM
    Premium: All the team stuff. TDM, DOM, CTF, AS. Onslaught if they decided to bring it back

This also has the effect of encouraging elitism in your players by making a subscription a "right of passage" for people who care about teamwork. And that helps sales.

If you want to go by the microtransactions route: Either the Blacklight style "Unlock DOM for X days" or player models and the like.