Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Alot of this thread sounds as though there are people who are glad or at least smug that things appear to be going wrong. I will never understand this.
    Schadenfreude
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Without exception you have chosen games which people judge* to be flawed. Why didn't you just day DNF and get a complete set?
    An overlong develop time is a bad omen of course but "it's done when it's done" is undoubtedly one of the best design schedules.

*rightly or wrongly
    For every game there exists a non-empty set of people who judge it flawed, so I don't really understand what you're trying to say.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    For every game there exists a non-empty set of people who judge it flawed, so I don't really understand what you're trying to say.
    Pong, Tetris, Chess and Perimeter *

Network Hub
    The "it's not for you" defence, nice.
    For reference the reason I never enjoyed Starcraft when it came out was flaky Internet access and cheating AI, these days I just see it as a relic. I don't hate it.
    No, it's the "you don't know what you are talking about" defence. You specifically called the interface a relic, while to my knowledge it is state of the art. For instance, CoH and SupCom UIs would not be good fits for Starcraft because the design goal is different. (And vice versa.) The other point I already elaborated on is that a game having higher execution requirements doesn't mean it has less strategy. In Starcraft's case, the execution isn't just an artificial roadblock ("you have to be this tall to play"), but an integral part of the game's strategy.

Of course I can't talk you into liking something you don't. I just want to set the specifics straight so others aren't needlessly discouraged from jumping in. Particularly with SC2, relaxed clicking (not more than the average non-RTS gamer can manage) backed by good strategic skill and good mental multitasking would certainly put a player in top 10% and probably higher. It's not a matter of doing a lot of stuff, but a matter of awareness and deciding what is important to do at any specific moment in time.

Pong, Tetris, Chess and Perimeter *
    They're all very repetitive and the graphics sux. Except chess, 1st photo-realistic game I've ever seen but still boring.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Seems to be getting blown out of proportion. The game was only announced back in 2010, and with it being quite an ambitious title it's understandable that it would take longer than some CoD game or CoD clone. As for the producer leaving and another signing on, again, I don't see that as a huge problem; a producer has to manage a lot of shit and it's possible the guy (if it is a single producer) just needed a break. As for the other stuff, well, I'll wait for a confirmation, because this is Kotaku after all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Half-Life 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Psychonauts
    Resident Evil 4
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    LA Noire
    Prey
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    almost anything Blizzard ever did

A lot of these games have become beloved classics.
    A lot of these also aren't good games.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    A lot of these also aren't good games.
    What's that word that is the opposite of fact?

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    Opinion. 10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Hey, I just had a crazy thought: BioShock Infinite in trouble?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    The right to bad taste, apparently.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Opinion. 10char
    Yeah, the point I was trolling for.

Still has like 15 years to go before it catches up to DNF.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised tbh. Do like Ken Levine (enjoy the irrational podcasts) and he's clearly passionate about games, however I think that the GoTY award may have gone to his head and irrational may have fallen into the Valve trap of a degree of hubris. Infinite seems like an extremely ambitious title and I suspect that they have bitten off far more than they can chew. That they showed pretty much everything the game has to offer in terms of enemies etc some time back and yet the game finds itself still some way off from release is definitely a point of concern.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Duke Nukem Forever and Bioshock Infinite, They should have known picking a name can be a curse.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

NOLF doesn't count since it's got a negation in its name to break the curse. ;) "Duke Nukem Not Forever" surely would have been the greatest FPS ever.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I don't even see the problem here. According to rumors and what have you the development team was having trouble staying focused and completing the game, so they made a new development team. Why is that a bad thing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Because maybe the original development team was the one creating interesting ideas or at least had an understanding of the ideas that were going on in a game, a new development team with new producer could scrap all the interesting ideas there could be(especially with a gears of war guy, I don't know that scares me because it could mean just making a standard boring FPS or something which Bioshock is not really meant to be that much) also if they don't scrap the ideas it would take awhile for a new development team to get up to scratch about the ideas delaying it even more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Because maybe the original development team was the one creating interesting ideas or at least had an understanding of the ideas that were going on in a game, a new development team with new producer could scrap all the interesting ideas there could be(especially with a gears of war guy, I don't know that scares me because it could mean just making a standard boring FPS or something which Bioshock is not really meant to be that much) also if they don't scrap the ideas it would take awhile for a new development team to get up to scratch about the ideas delaying it even more.
    If they were doing a good job they wouldn't have been replaced.