Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

X-Com: multiplayer mode

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...shouldnt-worry

All the soldier types are available, but you can pay more for more powerful archetypes and items, such as medkits and combat stims. So you can, if you wish, pimp out a solider with Titan armour, a medkit and a snazzy plasma rifle, but you'll have spent half your budget on him in the process.
    On the battlefield, what strikes you first is how odd it is seeing soldiers and aliens in the same squad. Everything about the XCOM single-player tells us to hate the aliens, to fear them, to destroy them. When a Berserker bursts out of the fog of war it terrifies you. Now, I've got a Berserker watching my assault soldier's back.
    I could see this work since it basically is the combat part of the game, but where you can control aliens and soldiers in the same team against a friend. Not like Mass Effect 3 (trying to make it effect single player but more of just a grind for some pool to fill for a "better" ending) or Bioshock 2 (kinda felt forced, multiplayer can keep the community interested in your game so developers are forced to do it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...etitive-multi/
    Last edited by Moraven; 11-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    Sounds good to me.

Also with ME3's mp... it was really good.

Activated Node
    Im fairly indifferent. I wont play multiplayer, but it also doesnt look like it has been a main focus which means it shouldnt impact the single player at all (though I'm still wondering if they will be able to make this game good while appealing to the masses)

So I say all power to them. Seems like a nice idea.

It sounds really good. Whether I'll play it depends on if any of my friends get the game but should that happen, I can deffo see myself enjoying this.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    UFO: The Two Sides did "proper" X-com multiplayer, if anyone's interested. Campaign and everything. The project got shut down but you should be able to find downloads somewhere. 0.99 was the latest version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Sounds a lot like the multiplayer in Fallout Tactics.

Well, except better of course. The turn-based combat in FT wasn't so smooth.

Network Hub
    Sounds like the multiplayer in Incubation, which was excellent.

I saw Invisible Walls do their take on the game and it showed some gameplay and mentioned the online mode. Honestly, I'm quite interested in trying the game. I kinda wrote it off at E3 as last I heard they were gonna make this into and FPS, but after seeing this I'm glad they didn't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brit89 View Post
    I saw Invisible Walls do their take on the game and it showed some gameplay and mentioned the online mode. Honestly, I'm quite interested in trying the game. I kinda wrote it off at E3 as last I heard they were gonna make this into and FPS, but after seeing this I'm glad they didn't.
    There are two upcoming X-COM games. XCOM is a tactical shooter, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a strategy game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Yeah, they're still doing that.

I guess after the reaction they received from hardcore fans, the publisher thought they better put out a legitimate X-Com sequel too.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 12-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Oh really? Lol. Well, I guess it's good then Enemy Unknown's happening.

I find this actually pretty exciting. Multiplayer turn-based tactical squad strategy is something sorely lacking from my games library at the moment; and unless I'm missing something pretty big, it's also something missing from the gaming market as a whole.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgxX39JCN4

Multiplayer gameplay footage.

Have not looked at any footage before other than screenshots. I like the visuals. As long as every bit of the environment is destructible. I will have to try multiplayer, looks fun. As long as it doesn't take away from their work on single player.