Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caribbean! — discussion

Hey, guys! I'm part of the Snowbird Games studio and recently we announced our new game called "Caribbean!". Here's an RPS article about it.
    I should also add that TaleWorlds involvement in the project is really significant, we both are very excited to make this a great pirate game.

As in the thread dedicated to our other project on the forum I'm open to any questions you might have about the game. And I'd be happy to hear you opinion on some of the aspects I'm going to bring up.

Also we're going to do a material about the game and its development with RPS soon after Rezzed too so stay tuned for that :)

I have a question, re: this screenshot

The graves here seem very uniform. Are they by any chance tied to the death of characters within the game?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Firstly howdy, I am very excited about this game.

Now to the questions.

Customization? One thing I loved in the mount & blade was that you could give your companions different weapons, with different stats that affect the combat style. Can we do that with the ships? I assume there will be lots of different ships, but will we be able to affect the rigging or number of guns to go faster or turn sharper? Or will it be that the ships will have set stats like horses?

Can you do the fighting from ship to ship in first person or do you become the ship on water?

Do my crew grow in experience and become better? In Mount & Blade there was a natural progression through new types of units, but a deckhand is always a deckhand.

Do you need people to play it now?

I hope you are going to perform better than with M&B: With Fire and Sword, which was no fun at all.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    I hope you are going to perform better than with M&B: With Fire and Sword, which was no fun at all.

I disagree, I had great fun playing as a musketeer but I understand where people would not like the game.

Will there be ship-to-ship multiplayer battles, with individual players controlling the guns, sails, steering, et al?

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Do you pronounce it ca-rib-bee-in or care-ah-bee-in?

Or carib-yin?
    steam

Network Hub
    Ca-rib-bee-an for me. Also it's one of those game names that makes you wonder if these guys have heard of internet searches in any form.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Will there be controllable monkey like in Risen 2,or at least any kind of monkey as your companion ?!

Hi there!

The graves here seem very uniform. Are they by any chance tied to the death of characters within the game?
    We haven't though of that but it's a great idea really. Maybe we'll come around to actually implement that.

Customization? One thing I loved in the mount & blade was that you could give your companions different weapons, with different stats that affect the combat style. Can we do that with the ships? I assume there will be lots of different ships, but will we be able to affect the rigging or number of guns to go faster or turn sharper? Or will it be that the ships will have set stats like horses?

Can you do the fighting from ship to ship in first person or do you become the ship on water?

Do my crew grow in experience and become better? In Mount & Blade there was a natural progression through new types of units, but a deckhand is always a deckhand.

Do you need people to play it now?
    As for ship's customization you're responsible for all of its weaponry. With some perks you can even turn it to a battle ship. And also you can name it whatever you want :)

During naval battle you become the ship and during the boarding you play as yourself :)

Yes, they grow in experience and earn new titles.

Do you mean like for beta test? We're planning to do it after some implementations for ships and interface.

Will there be ship-to-ship multiplayer battles, with individual players controlling the guns, sails, steering, et al?
    We're considering naval battles for multiplayer but I don't think there will be any sharing of one ship by the players.

Do you pronounce it ca-rib-bee-in or care-ah-bee-in?

Or carib-yin?
    I think it's pronounced like that: [ˌkζrə'biːən]

Will there be controllable monkey like in Risen 2,or at least any kind of monkey as your companion ?!
    I'm afraid not :) It's not that kind of pirate game.

Here's a new screenshot. Hopefully we'll get a prettier ship model some time next week. But for now:

And this the artwork of a pirate :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Thanks for answer man,game already looks good and concept art is lovely.

Hey guys. We answered some questions to Pirates Ahoy! site, maybe you'll find some of those interesting. There are quite a lot of them :)

Hey guys, we did an interview with RPS. Here's the link in case you missed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Will your crew be male-only, or will there be some silly chainmail bikini-like stuff going on?

Activated Node
    Becoming the ship, the game looks great and all, but that disappointed me so much :(

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    And this the artwork of a pirate :)

Looks great. I΄m pretty sick and tired of the ugly charachter models in the Mount&Blade games, so I hope that this nice art is translated well into the game engine. :)

Question: Music? What΄s happening in that department? Dramatic like in the M&B or a bit more jolly and fun like in Sid Meier's Pirates?

Will the game have any events like the Silver Train and Treasure Fleet in Sid Meier's Pirates?

Quests? Are there anything like the ones in Mount&Blade? If so, please put some more thought into them then what the M&B quests had.

Treasure hunts?
    Last edited by Yachmenev; 10-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.

I have a plethora of questions for this game:
    What happens if your ship gets sunk and you're on it? And what happens if you're a notorious pirate and get caught by the authorities? Are important characters immortal like in M&B? How do you acquire new ships? How many ships can you have in your fleet, and in battles, do you control them all or just one? (or can you only have one ship?)

Thank you for doing this thread, and thank you for making this game. It sounds fantastic and I want it now.

Network Hub
    I've just discovered Sid Meier's Pirates! (Im not sure how many he has, tbh), and I find myself wondering - does this game a have ballroom and buxom Governor's daughters?

If not, I'm afraid this game will not do well at ALL.