Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

RPS meetup at gamescom?

I guess I'm not the only one coming to gamescom. How about some good old German biergarten fun after a day of our favorite past-time? Or maybe some VS games at any of the booths or whatever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Have been there for several years now, could not go last year, cannot not go this year :(
    Always fun at GamesCom, although it's getting overcrowed. Last year was plainly horrible from what Ive heard. Would have loved to see the Planetside and Firefall booths. Hopefully next year will be possible again.

I wish all attendees a lot of fun :)

It's my first time. Any suggestions?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    It's my first time. Any suggestions?
    • Bring a chair. I felt like such a genius having done that last year.
    • Bring food and water. I remember half a pizza costing €6 or so, it's rather expensive. I usually go to the bakery in the morning prior to entering the gamescom.
    • Preferably come Thursday or Friday, it's most crowded at the weekend. I'll simply be there every day, although not before noon on Thursday.
    • Preorder your ticket(s), it's cheaper and they might be sold out at the premises.
    • You need a wristband for age verification - you can either wait in line outside for some 15 minutes, which is okay if you're early enough, or (I think) you can just get one inside as well, without the waiting.
    • Plan ahead. Make a list of things you want to see, check where they are, be aware that popular things (esp. Blizzard) come with long waits - over 4h at times. Smaller games, on the other hand, may have shorter queues - for example I just found out Hotline Miami will be shown (don't know where though - possibly at Devolver Digital?*), I doubt you'd have to wait for hours there.
    • Ask Bethesda about Prey 2 - I haven't heard anything about it in a while and I don't think they're showing it? Actually, I have no idea.
    • Ask Namco about the supposed 1024x720 resolution and 30fps lock in PC Dark Souls.
    • Ask Valve about Half-Life 3 :P
    • Despise the absense of THQ, i.e. Metro: Last Light and Darksiders 2
    • Organize an RPS meetup, I'd like to meet some people. :D

That's what I could think of off the top of my head.

As far as a potential meetup goes, I'm busy on Thursday evening and most of Sunday evening, but generally like the idea (it's what made me search for a thread like this).

--edit--
    *And just minutes later a trailer goes up on RPS detailling it - Hotline Miami will be in Hall 7 at the "Steam Booth" (C30).
    Last edited by mrwonko; 13-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.

The Endless Space guys are throwing their own party on Friday in a hotel, how about a takeover? http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...os-at-Gamescom

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    The Endless Space guys are throwing their own party on Friday in a hotel, how about a takeover? http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...os-at-Gamescom
    I don't know if I'd feel good about that - I haven't played the game, hardly even heard of it... But it's something to keep in mind I guess.

Maybe we should try getting this posted on the blog so more people hear about it? I wonder how many actually look here, given the lack of interest.

I already asked on twitter, but Walker told me we need to organize the meetup first, then it'll be posted.

We all agree Friday is probably the best day, right? There are a couple of parties around town we can attend to, or just hang at a biergarten or something. I'm in talks with a couple of reddit nerds too so at least we can be 4-5 people.

Obscure Node
    Friday seems fine, I don't care much where. I can translate should the need arise, being German myself.

Redditors are suggesting Corchoran in Heumarkt, or some place in Kalk: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ologne/c5sdow7

https://www.facebook.com/events/420383178014191/

10 parties around the city, 10€. Saturday Night.

Obscure Node
    I'm no fan of big parties - I was hoping for something smaller, with mostly RPS people or at least gamers or something. Then again, I'm more of a typical introvert nerd, no party animal. But I guess those are more for dancing, less for talking. The endless space guys things sounds better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwonko View Post
    I'm no fan of big parties - I was hoping for something smaller, with mostly RPS people or at least gamers or something. Then again, I'm more of a typical introvert nerd, no party animal. But I guess those are more for dancing, less for talking. The endless space guys things sounds better to me.
    I'm the Endless Space community developer. I honestly would not mind: we even give out Endless Space game codes for Steam (so you will actually get to try the game, some day, if you want to).

All gamers are welcome, it's Gamescom, after all (but we cannot host more than 100, just saying :D).

It's OK with me, we're near the stadtgarten and some other nice places to go near Friesenplatz.

Obscure Node
    I'll most likely go to the Endless Space party, then. Sounds nice enough. :) That's not to say it has to be our official meetup, but I'll be there.

Obscure Node
    I'm up for meeting up with people, I'm going to try and attend the Endless Space event on Friday as well.

I hope I'm not the only old fart (41) that turns up though.

I'll be the kid with the Larian/Divinity t-shirt.

Obscure Node
    Didn't read this in time, unfortunately, so I didn't see you. Me and my friend were the two latecomers. But we had a nice chat with one of the CEOs and a guy from Ubisoft, so it was still a nice evening.

I just went to the wrong hotel (NH Köln-Mediapark), so I completely missed the party :(

Obscure Node
    Oh..... :(

so it was still a nice evening.