Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned
    Nearly died when the announced the alpha date, I'll be out of the country :|

I'm super excited for the next stream though, and hopefully getting to see combat...

This game has some nice ideas but personally it looks too cartoon-y for my tastes. I personally prefer a more proportioned aesthetic. To cure your lust for this game I'd suggest checking this out http://zero-k.info/ Basically it's when a bunch of crazy swedes known as TA Yankspankers wanted to turn TA replays into a full 3D(trivia being that all the units in TA are actually 3D, but the map was/is not) they created this engine known as "Spring". It's completely open source and Really great fun.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    They're using a cartoony style because it's much, much cheaper than photorealistic. They have a very ambitious project and only a medium budget. Blizzard probably spent more on SC2 cinematics alone.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I actually liked the art style. It makes it look different. And the simpler meshes means I can have even bigger battles, so that is a plus.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I actually appreciate that they're using a very clean, simplistic graphical style. It means I can have absurdly large battles without murdering my PC, it also helps me believe that they're trying to make a game (as compared to most modern developers, who are apparently just trying to make a series of pretty pictures). Plus it's not like I'm ever going to have my camera anywhere near the action, I'm going to be zoomed out ordering hundreds of my little minions to their certain doom, I don't give a crap what each of them looks like up close.

Banned
    This is incredibly the case. Gameplay over graphics. And since its machine tech it can look cool at low res. Its much harder to make nice looking human units with cheap textures. This game is going to be so cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    I personally prefer a more proportioned aesthetic.
    Honestly the art style isn't significantly different except they're using brighter colours and the units are clearly delineated from their environment, which is no different to TA. The TA units are all fairly blocky and have minimal use of colour. Even the UEF units in SupCom are fairly blocky, the art style only really deviated with the Cybrans (more angular) and the Aeon (all curves).

As the others have said it's also for performance considerations, but aesthetically I think it's pretty good.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    As for zero-k website linked above, it looks decent but something is really wrong with light and/or contrast of units. They look mostly black, and not because they're painted black. It makes them harder to distinguish. But contrast in PA is very good, and they manage do to it without Blizzard-style neon colors.
    pass

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    As for zero-k website linked above, it looks decent but something is really wrong with light and/or contrast of units. They look mostly black, and not because they're painted black. It makes them harder to distinguish. But contrast in PA is very good, and they manage do to it without Blizzard-style neon colors.
    Anyone who has a real problem with the PA graphics but thinks Zero-K is hunky dory is crazy. I played Zero-K for a couple days, and by that I mean like 40 hours, and the graphics are not anything to write home about compared to PA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'd love to get in the Alpha but 60 pounds is very steep. I think I'll hold off but it really looks like it could be good as I'd hoped.
    steam: sketch