Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Financial Strategy: Journeymen

There are 2 nightmare situations for any team. Becoming broke financially and losing pivotal stars. The blackle Tomb Guardian, the +AG Skink and the + ST Gutter Runner all come to mind.

But for some teams being broke scarcely matters. Norse block makes their principle function unaffected, zombies/skell still mark like kings, DElf and Helf linemen are still mobile and capable with the ball, Goblins and Halflings are disposable fodder.

Yes loner can be annoying, but the biggest issue is bench depth. Fouls, KO's and casualties can all spell out a ball rolling where you end up with 3 players on the, pitch and 10 opponents.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

You mentioned Skinks - actually I think Skinks are some of the better Journeyman choices. You can use them more liberally on defense and put them into spots where you wouldn't dare to put your 'real' special little guys.

Also, you don't have to be broke to use this strategy. I often see FUMBBL teams with one or two Journeymen although they could afford to hire new team members. This is especially true for Woodelves who can still perform decently when they are down a few players.
    Forum janitor in training.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have 950,000 in the bank. I could afford to hire a new team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    My Divisions chaos team has 750,000. I could afford to hire and immediately sack 5 minotaurs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    They may be fodder but subsisting on journeymen is a terrible tactic for Goblins, because it means you have 10 or less creatures on your permanent roster and zero substitutes - and probably more than one Secret Weapon, which will only compound matters. If you end up in this situation, expect to be horribly outnumbered by the end of the match.

To be fair, I wasn't thinking carefully when I mentioned goblins.

Skink Journeymen are rather good, but skinks with AG4 (add nerves of steel for godless bastardry) are just revolting when you consider they have 6 ST4+MV6+GS access body guards.

So. I think that yeah, skinks are okay Journeymen because of how nice it is to use them with reckless disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    They may be fodder but subsisting on journeymen is a terrible tactic for Goblins, because it means you have 10 or less creatures on your permanent roster and zero substitutes - and probably more than one Secret Weapon, which will only compound matters. If you end up in this situation, expect to be horribly outnumbered by the end of the match.
    Thats not entirely true. Due to the cheapness of the goblin roster in general if you are down to under 11 players you're almost certain to be receiving massive inducements with which you can top up the bench

There are many nice things a goblin team can spend inducements on, but mercenary Lonerfied goblins at 70k each (almost double the cost of roster goblins) are pretty much a waste of money.

You misunderstand me. Once you've got your bribes and wizard/babes any player after that, star or not, deepens your bench. Its quite plausible for a goblin team down to a starting roster of less than 11 to be receiving 700+ in inducements which means multiple stars. Its not ideal but definitely viable.

That's a mercenary, journeymen show up only if your team + mercenaries + star players isn't 11 men.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    That's a mercenary, journeymen show up only if your team + mercenaries + star players isn't 11 men.
    Not the case at all Helio. Journeymen are taken (or not... bloody Cyanide really annoy me with their compulsory JM) as part of the post match sequence. Their TV has to be added onto the roster before inducements are calculated so you only start thinking about Stars and Mercs afterwards.

Network Hub
    Still, I don't know why you would let regular goblins to be substituted by journeymen if you have the money to get a deep bench. If you start with 11 players on your roster, you'll be playing with 8 players after the first drive.

I think a rookie mistake a lot of new coaches make is hanging onto injured 0spp linemen early in team development, and also replacing linemen before they fill out their positionals.

With most competitive teams the difference between a regular and loner lino on the LoS in minimal and the cash is better spent on filling out the key parts of your roster with positionals or additional RRs.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What about in a vamp team? Filling out all the vamps before you have replacement thralls is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    What about in a vamp team? Filling out all the vamps before you have replacement thralls is a terrible idea.
    Yes, obviously this is not universally acceptable. T3 teams in particular don't want to skimp on goblins/thralls/halflings.

But buying a bunch of replacement line-elfs instead of a new catcher or blitzer generally isn't the best strategy.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    1. If you hire a merc/journeyman after a match they loose loner, right?
    2. In a league that needs admin verification, will the money you have available at the end to buy a merc be excl. or incl. winnings?

1. Journeymen - Yes. You can never hire a merc.
    2. Excluding winnings (not sure if this is a Cyanide error or rules as written).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    1. You can't hire mercs, only journeymen, but they do lose loner. (Step 6, page 29 of the rules.)
    2. Should be including (winnings are generated at step 2). The bug list seems to suggest this isn't working correctly, though (and also that the game calls journeymen mercenaries, which is a nice bit of extra confusion).

lost count the amount of times loners have got spp's or/and MVP then i haven't had enough money to buy them (but i have after i've got my match money). possibly the most backwards/stupid thing about the cyannide version, they seriously need to sort that issue out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    The last time we talked about this, I complained that the winnings weren't added to your money pool until after you got the opportunity to buy journeymen, and was told it was behaving as it was supposed to according to the rulebook.