Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DS games

Network Hub

3DS games

I got fed up of doing nothing during the ludicrous amount of time I spend sat on trains these days and just ordered a 3DS XL with Fire Emblem: Awakening. What other games are worth taking a look at? I'm mainly interested in RPG and TBS games, but feel free to suggest anything that's good.

the marios are quite good, as far as Ive heard. Also, isnt there a new mario kart on the 3DS?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    RPG and TBS? Pokémon is an obvious choice. On the surface it's very simple, but there are tons of mechanics to it that give it the depth that enables it to host many tournaments. X and Y have also been designed to be a re-introduction to the series, for those not having played it before, only the earliest ones or just fine for those who have kept up with it.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was well received and fills in the TBS want. Personally, I'd recommend The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. It's the best game I've played in years, does justice to the 3D and is wonderful fun for an action/adventure game. Whilst your on it, Ocarina of Time 3D as well because it's one of the best games ever made.

You might want to give this video a watch. It's a couple of guys from Videogamer.com going through some of the bigger hitters of the 3DS, old and new. As for the Marios, I have not played 3D Land, but it's on my to-buy list, generally received really well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a difficult one for me. I played the original on the DS, easily known as the worst of the New SMB series, but I have no desire to get the second. Iv'e heard the second is good, fine, does the job, but I've not exactly heard anyone going on about how brilliant it is. Might wanna do some research around that one.

It's also extremely important to know that whilst you will make a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) for eShop purchases, it is not their account system. All games bought online through the 3DS are tied to the hardware, not some sort of account. If you lose your 3DS, you'll likely have to file a report/stolen form with the police and send relevant details to Nintendo so that they will allow you access to those games on new hardware.

That all said, it's a fun system and whilst I only own two games (Pokémon X and Between Worlds), there's the Street Pass stuff and plenty of demos to download to keep you busy.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would also include DS games, lots of good games there and compatible with the 3DS hardware. Also I am not sure which titles below do not exist in the EU. 3DS sadly is region locked.

DS TBS:
    Rondo of Swords
    Luminous Arc 1 & 2
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    Final Fantasy Tactics 2
    Age of Empires (yes its turn based, but very good games, think there is 2 of them, only played the first one)

DS RPG:
    Kingdom Hearts
    Strange Journey (Shin Megami Tensei game)
    Etrian Odyssey 2 & 3
    Dragon Quest IX
    Etrian Odyssey 2 & 3
    Radiant Historia
    Mario RPGs

3DS TBS:
    Devil Survivor 1: Overclocked & 2 (Shin Megami Tensei game)
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

3DS RPG:
    Bravely Default is out this week (at least in NA, I assume EU has it already or soon).
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (if do not mind some grind time to time and demon collecting)
    Harvest Moon - Always liked this farming RPG series. Various versions of it. Rune Factory is another option. Its a sci fi version with farming and dungeon adventuring.
    Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold (remake of 1)
    Kingdom Hearts
    Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold (remake of 1)
    Mario RPG (whatever its called)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (if looking for a very different Action RPG)
    Last edited by Moraven; 04-02-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bravely Default is pretty good so far.

The demo can put some off since it does a terrible job introducing the game mechanics and you can easily go to a place that has monsters that one shot you.

I'll second Moraven's suggestion of Monster Hunter. The controls on the 3DS are perhaps worse than the infamous "claw" from the PSP, but it's still the best game you'll find for the 3DS.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    MH3 seems to go half off every couple months lately. Retail and digital.

The style and controls are so jarring at first compared to what you would expect with an ARPG. But once you adjust to how each weapon combo works, how to time the presses and how each monster moves and their weak points, there is a lot of game there.

We do need some new or updated TBS for the 3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post

We do need some new or updated TBS for the 3DS.
    We need a FF Tactics or an Advance Wars or a Fire Emblem remake/update or something...
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Or DS games on the eShop so those that missed them can buy them.

They said they are bringing DS games to the Wii U. Hopefully that means 3DS also.

Or DS games on the eShop so those that missed them can buy them.

They said they are bringing DS games to the Wii U. Hopefully that means 3DS also.
    I doubt they will port 3DS games to the Wii U. why would people buy the 3DS then?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, I meant that they would "port" more DS games to the 3DS eShop, not the Wii U. Port was a poor word. Maybe, repackaged? Since the 3DS has the DS software built into it. Now just give us digital copies.

But I have a feeling this may prove more difficult for them due to their original design of the software.

Why buy a Vita when a lot of the games you can play on the PS3/PS4?
    There are a lot of people wanting cross platform releases and cross platform buys give a lot of value to owning the both systems in the same eco system. Its great to be able to play a game on the go, come home and continue it on your console.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has the capability and works great. Add in cross platform local multiplayer and you give more value in owning both platforms.

Super Smash Brothers will see releases on both the Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo has said they want to integrate their portable and home consoles into the same system much like Android/iOS Smartphone to Tablet.
    Last edited by Moraven; 11-02-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the best game on 3DS right now in my opinion. It just does EVERYTHING right. I'm probably about 3/4s of the way through it right now, and I couldn't name a single fault with it. I've also enjoyed Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Ocarina of Time 3D, and I've not played the 3DS version, but DKC Returns was pretty good on the Wii.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Why buy a Vita when a lot of the games you can play on the PS3/PS4?
    I'm seriously considering buying a Vita just for the ability to play PSone classics on it. I'd love to be able to play the old Resident Evils on the can or in bed. Yes, I know you can do that with the PSP, but I'm not about to buy one of those now. When this new Borderlands 2 Vita bundle hits for $200, it's going to be extremely tempting. I've seen a lot of talk about the screens on the new models though, how they are much poorer than the original OLED screens. Anyone have any good perspective on that?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

If you like visual novels, 999 and Virtues Last Reward are good. Other than that, I've been really enjoying Bravely Default and New Zelda recently.
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steel Diver Sub Wars is available today with a limited version that includes 2 subs, some single player levels and full mutliplayer. It looks like a slow moving FPS with subs and torpedoes. Going to try it out.

Mario Golf 3DS being made. Always my favorite golf games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steel Diver Sub Wars is available today with a limited version that includes 2 subs, some single player levels and full mutliplayer. It looks like a slow moving FPS with subs and torpedoes. Going to try it out.

Mario Golf 3DS being made. Always my favorite golf games.
    I loved Mario Golf. I used to get to my friend's house early in the morning so we had time to get a round in before driving to school. I still remember what hole I was on and what character I was using when I got my first Eagle on a par 4.

Kid Icarus: uprising is great for an action game (not to mention the addictive weapon alchemy) and Rhythm Thief/Theatrhythm if you like rhythm action games.

Though for on the go I'd go for Mario and Luigi dream team/Paper Mario Sticker Star/Virtue's Last Reward. The former two are platform RPGs and the latter a multi-branching visual novel.

There's a ton of great eshop gems as well (and their cheap!):
    • Attack of the Friday monsters
    • Ace Attorney dual destinies (you don't really need to have played the older games to jump into this one)
    • Steamworld dig
    • Crimson Shroud
    • Weapon Shop de omasse
    • Pushmo/crashmo
    • Picross games
    • Dillion's rolling west
    • Inazuma eleven
    • Nintendo pocket football club looks promising too. I could go on so I'll stop here.

Hope that's enough recommendations xD.
    Last edited by dap005; 15-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Crimson Shroud is on sale atm. Is it worth it?
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    If you like RPGs, I highly recommend Bravely Default, Pokemon X/Y, and Shin Megami Tensei IV. There's a pretty big backlog of DS games, as well. I'd add Chrono Trigger to the list if you haven't already played it (or just want a 3DS version), and I've heard good things about Dragon Quest IX, though I haven't played it myself.

I'll also second A Link Between Worlds. Unless you played A Link to the Past so many times you can't stand the idea of the recycled world map, you'll likely find it the best Zelda in years.

I played the Bravely Default demo and it felt like a very pretty monster farming simulator, Is the full version a bit more involved?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter