Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime!

Anime!

So, I never really had a massive interest in anime but watched Attack on Titan and I loved it, any suggestions for others to watch?!

Everything by Hayao Miyazaki
    especially Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
    The Secret World of Arrietty, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro are pretty amazing too.
    Heck everything he's done is worth watching.

Cowboy Beebop and Ghost in the Shell (movie and series). Those two are (among) the best I've had the pleasure to watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    A good idea would be to figure out what kind of anime you actually like, since anime covers a VERY wide spectrum (think of it like western cartoons... because it is japanese cartoons :p).

I haven't watched Attack on Titan yet (but have heard a lot of people recommend it), but, if you are into the more "western friendly" stuff, consider skimming through what Toonami aired during its run and see if anything stands out as being interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami

I would say watching something aired on Toonami (with a few exceptions, since they got away with showing FLCL AND Evangelion...) is the equivalent to watching a DC/Marvel cartoon: it is probably not gonna hit the super high notes (with exceptions), but it has a high production quality and is very accessible.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I maybe should have worded it better,
    I mean series', I've seen studio ghibli stuff and its awesome but whenever I watch anything episodic I haven't been able to get into it! I've tried Naruto, Full metal alchemist and a few others but there are that many that I have no idea what to try! I wouldn't usual care but I enjoyed titan so much that there must be others I'm gonna like

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    consider skimming through what Toonami aired during its run and see if anything stands out as being interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami
    Thanks, I'll check this out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Heat Guy J

I'm not even kidding. It's like GitS:SAC without the boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Ah, in that case, I second the suggestion for Cowboy Bebop, and much of the other Toonami stuff. I thought Outlaw Star was really good too. Also, while a bit old, Robotech, and Slayers held my attention throughout. Robotech for the story, and Slayers for the comedy. If a show doesn't catch you within the first three episodes, chances are pretty good it won't.

Giant Robo

I recommend Psycho-Pass if you can get at it

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Heat Guy J

I'm not even kidding. It's like GitS:SAC without the boring.
    Pretty much. Section 9 had better funding though.

What else to I have in the DVD cupboard...

Texhnolyze which is impossible to spell correctly without looking at the word let alone pronounce. It's slow going though so you might fall asleep like I did. I had to watch it three times before I saw it all but I ended up really liking it.

The Big-O is definitely worth a punt, it looks like Batman but it's got really big robots and oozes style. I thought I had more than the first disc but apparently I do not, I could've sworn that I saw this all the way through.

I thought that Last Exile was good until it neared the end then it started going south, you might want to turn off by then and watch something else.

I'll come clean, I don't have this in my cupboard but if you don't mind old TV anime, like seeing dudes getting punched until they explode and can stomach the 'villain of the week' format you could hunt down (or just Youtube it, it'll be subbed so you won't have to worry about whitey's voice getting in the way) Fist Of the North Star. The animation's pretty ropey (like, worse than Voltron it's that old) so maybe Youtube an episode to see if it's still your kind of thing but it's a classic. It's iconic characters the cartoon! There's been a more recent miniseries (and filims) but what I've seen so far I found hit and miss.

Cheers guys
    A lot of stuff to check out, should keep me busy for a while

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Ghost in the Shell: Arise, a new OVA series, is quite intriguing. It seems writer somewhat runs out of plots though. If you've watched previous works from the franchise, you would immediately notice that many of the plots have been recycled.

Activated Node
    Steins;Gate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steins_Gate)
    A clever timetravel story.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mel...Suzumiya#Anime)
    You’ll get tired of high school settings in anime quite quickly, so make sure you’ve seen this one before then.

FLCL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL)
    The Japanese are good at surreal humour and this is one of the best.

Dennou Coil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Coil)
    Has Western tv made a series about augmented reality yet? The Japanese have. With cute critters.

Ergo Proxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_proxy)
    It’s a cyberpunk scifi series that references Commedia dell’Arte. Seriously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Of the best anime movies to watch would be Akira,Ninja Scroll,Princess Mononoke,Ghost In The Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Fist Of the North Star
    This is indeed ropey, cheesy and daft as hell, but thats its best qualities. That and its hyper violent to the point of being comical.
    "RAGH! I'VE TURNED MY BODY INTO STEEL!" *eats ninjas*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I never really know whether to recommend other types of anime to people that enjoy shounen. That said, I feel that Baccano! is worth recommending to anyone, and since someone else recommended Ergo Proxy it's pretty much no holds barred.

I'd also try out Code Geass since you're not super immersed in otaku culture.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

s-CRY-ed (yes, that's how it's spelled) has actually become my go-to for shonen series because it stayed consistently good throughout, didn't feel like it was insulting my intelligence, had an interesting idea for special abilities that totally wasn't ripped off from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (trulies) and had leading characters that I didn't want thrown under a bus. I would've thought that the other shonen series I watch around that time, Grappler Baki, would've been but by the time the major tournament started the quality of the animation had nosedived. I can't believe that it first aired in 2001 it animates worse than something from 1981 I am not making this up. MMA fans might still want to give it a chance but it's a struggle and not just the believability of the fights and the atrocious dub.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    s-CRY-ed (yes, that's how it's spelled)
    RYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    KAAAAAAAAAAAZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yep it was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

watch alucard
    death note