Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

A Great Book Store I Found

This online bookstore is too great I must tell you. For the record, I am not affiliated with the store in any way.

http://www.bookdepository.com/

As far as I know, this is a British company.

Most of the books there are much cheaper than the one I can find over the only English bookstore in town or any bookstore in Hong Kong. How I found out? Someone whom I have befriended and is working in the town's only English bookstore told me this secret. They actually order from this online bookstore which charges absolute no international shippment, and then pocket the premium they charge!!

Paperback pocket size novels are somewhat pricy, but the rest are cheaper. I thought I'd bought Chinese Rules in Hong Kong last month in great bargain. Turns out this online book offers much lower price, almost half of what I've paid!!

You guys know what kinda logistical system it is running? They run warehouses all over the globe?!

Yet I must warn you, delivery takes generally much longer than other bookstores.

90% of books I buy through ABE end up coming from Book Depository.

Book Depository tends to include bookmarks with Interesting Facts™ on them with your order.

Book Depository is my favourite book seller on the Citadel?

Yes, it's pretty famous. It's owned by Amazon. The British version is .co.uk , actually, the .com domain ships from the US AFAIK.

So this is actually an American company? Amazon has very efficient shipping system. Even with standard shippment, you can reasonably expect your orders to be delivered within 7 days, but the shippment is far too expensive for it to be competitive against other stores. My last order with Amazon had been in 2003. From then on I simply shop only in either the town's monopoly or in Hong Kong while I am on duty trips to Hong Kong, which are very frequent.

You know, last week I saw that Commercial Press of Hong Kong was promoting Michio Kaku's series (not including his graduate school Physics textbooks, of course). I am thinking to spend my year end bonus on it, now that I know where I can buy the whole series in real bargain prices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Book Depository tends to include bookmarks with Interesting Facts™ on them with your order.
    Cheap prices are a big plus, but oddly the free bookmarks are my favourite perk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Odd. Doesn't look particularly cheap to me. About the same prices as bookstores here (and I don't believe they're considered cheap by anyone), as far as I can tell. Slightly higher in some cases (but then, no free shipping here).

Neuromancer is about 15 DKK cheaper than what I paid for the same edition, but I bought it in 1986 or so...

The key here is international shipment. Since printers do not have to pay the overseas shipping cost to deliver the stocks to the vendors you are buying from, the gross price would be much lower than ours. The westernly published English books we can buy here all come with international shipping cost, so it's only a matter of who is paying for the cost. And this BookDepository somehow is able to magically absorb most of the international shipping cost. That's very great for overseas readers like me.

But I do notice that pocket size novels are general a bit more expensive than they are in Hong Kong. The rest, they are cheaper, so much cheaper. Yahoo~~~~~~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    The key here is international shipment. Since printers do not have to pay the overseas shipping cost to deliver the stocks to the vendors you are buying from, the gross price would be much lower than ours. The westernly published English books we can buy here all come with international shipping cost, so it's only a matter of who is paying for the cost. And this BookDepository somehow is able to magically absorb most of the international shipping cost. That's very great for overseas readers like me.
    That makes sense. I was wondering if there was some VAT thing going on or such, but I don't think so.

Just puzzled me because judging from the second hand books I've bought that had US or UK price stickers still on them, books seem to be cheaper there (granted, the last one I bought is some years old, so things may have changed).
    Last edited by Similar; 13-01-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Yahoo~ My order has arrived, and in extremely good condition~

A friend in Hong Kong kindly help me to receive the packages which were mailed by local postage. On the packages there were Hong Kong return address, indicating that, as I had suspected, Book Depository has local logistical network. Thus it can offer free shipping.

From now on, I know where to buy English books in great prices. Yahoo~~~~~~~~~