Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Netflix UK, is it worth it?

I can spare some potato on having free movie/tv show access, but I'd like to know the status of the service: speed, availability, is there a good back catalog (i.e. I want to revisit Sliders, Firefly or start Battlestar Galactica). If not, what alteratives are there.

I haven't owned a teevee in years and don't intent to start now, so satellite and such are not an option :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    It's pretty good yea. Speed's fantastic and I never experienced any downtime. Definitely has Firefly and BSG, not sure about Sliders. There are a fair few shows on there, worth subbing for a few months at least.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Same here - no issues with speed or availability.

Sliders isn't on UK but it looks like it's available in the US. You can use Media Hint to access US Netflix.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Same here - no issues with speed or availability.

Sliders isn't on UK but it looks like it's available in the US. You can use Media Hint to access US Netflix.
    This.

Both are worth it and if you're watching it on a laptop/computer you can install media hint and at the switch of a button you'll get access to the UK or the US one. Netflix just assumes you've travelled to the states and tells you as such.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I tried to watch some trailers but there was a desync between audio and video. Maybe it's caused because I browse from a virtual machine. Are they in the final product?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've never had desync issues on netflix. I've used it from a tablet, a pc, a laptop and a ps4.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    It's worth it for Arrested Development.

Everything else is a bonus.

I've used it on Xbox 360 and netbook, and I haven't had any real performance issues. (Although to use it on Xbox you need a Gold Live account. Since I stopped playing my Xbox, it got to a point where I was keeping my Gold account only for Netflix, which meant I was paying too much.)
    Last edited by thegooseking; 14-02-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

It even works fine on Windows Phone 8. Many a time Netflix has saved me from boredom when I get home to find I forgot to take my key out with me.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3

Yeah, I have netflix on my phone, tv, PC and tablet now and 99 times out of a hundred there's something to better to watch on Netflix than on normal TV.

UK Netflix is good, but Mediahint is invaluable (and very very easy to use/setup), be warned though the tablet apps that purport to do the same thing can be a bit hit and miss.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

You can set up a proxy on your router to get around compatibility.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3