Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Obscure Node
    The UN is just a cover that lets the elites assume control from behind the scenes.

Firstly, that above is one of the oddest first posts I've ever seen. Granted, it's true that the bankers and media emperors (looking at you, Murdoch) pretty much do run the world, but that's a strange thing to introduce yourself with.

Anyway, I think the UN should be doing a lot more in this, and if they want to limit casualties and destruction, there should just be a complete embargo - no one should be allowed to supply either side. How to resolve this conflict is something I'm not sure on - Assad has to go because he's a dictator who has no problem killing his own people, but then there's the question of who should replace him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    The UN is just a cover that lets the elites assume control from behind the scenes.
    ah. if only that was true. unfortunately it is not and UN is just bunch of assholes who hate each other and don't have a huge leverage on their country's government.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Oh Hi Congo still believing in that New World Order stuff?

What brings you to RPS shores?

How to resolve this conflict is something I'm not sure on - Assad has to go because he's a dictator who has no problem killing his own people, but then there's the question of who should replace him.
    This might be controversial and imperilist of me but im thinking another country should step in and bring in almost a neutral government that would run things for awhile and sort things out. Because the people on the ground really arent getting anywhere.

I thought of something along those lines, in that there should be a UN-based committee leadership until things get sorted out, but then there's the problem of who should get to be a part of that.

Network Hub
    The UN would be useless in a syria littered with countless opposing militaristic parties. the UN, being a diplomatic body, is only good in talks. if syria would be "given" to a UN force/government, its just as good as giving it directly to al qaeda.

The only way to solve this, actually - is NATO stomping the shit out of everyone on the side of Assad (him included) and any ISIS psychopats. Helped by whatever forces Iraq can muster, Kurdish army and others willing to join.

The only reason why this lasted this long and turned into this kind of chaos is because nobody stepped in, showed a cruising missile down the Assads throat and stomped his army - when they should have.

By stomping the army i mean taking over the air and destroying all tanks and artillery.
    Then just leaving the matter on the ground to be settled by Syrians themselves, in a fair fight.

Then there would be no ISIS or extremists appearing - at all.
    Last edited by Surface; 21-05-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surface View Post
    The only way to solve this, actually - is NATO stomping the shit out of everyone on the side of Assad (him included) and any ISIS psychopats. Helped by whatever forces Iraq can muster, Kurdish army and others willing to join.

The only reason why this lasted this long and turned into this kind of chaos is because nobody stepped in, showed a cruising missile down the Assads throat and stomped his army - when they should have.

By stomping the army i mean taking over the air and destroying all tanks and artillery.
    Then just leaving the matter on the ground to be settled by Syrians themselves, in a fair fight.

Then there would be no ISIS or extremists appearing - at all.
    Yeah, that sounds exactly like what happened in Iraq.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Pretty much. Blow the shit out of the "bad people", and then what?

Install a puppet government? if the people don't want that, you will just have an uprising in a few years
    Let people "decide for themselves"? The problem with that is that those "bad people" you were bombing tend to win those since THEY weren't blowing the shit out of the country and, at the very least, they have less bureaucracy with respect to humanitarian aide and what not (plus, it is REALLY easy to convince people that the foreign invaders are the REAL problem)

Or pick one side and help them. Like when we helped out against the Russian invaders in Afghanistan. That Osama sure was a quick study and he had a really good work ethic.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It's not.

Contrast what happened in Libya versus Syria.

Not a single US troop was deployed on Libyan soil, but the Libyan forces loyal to Gaddafi were easily destroyed using by France and EU military action and airstrikes along with US cruise missiles.

I'm not sure why the same thing was not done in Syria.

That said... I have no confidence that the next regime following Assad will be much better than him anyway.

There is something deeply wrong with a lot of these countries with monocultures. I sometimes start to believe that these monocultures pave the way towards inequality and dictatorships.

I see no solution for many years. The time to act swiftly has long passed. I wonder if any multilateral action will be taken now.

The human cost is 2 million displaced persons and 150,000+ dead. I'm not sure where the threshold of action for multilateral intervention should have been, but I think it probably should've been quite a bit below that level.
    Last edited by rockman29; 29-05-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Network Hub
    Libya is in a worse state now than it was when gaddafi was in charge and give a few years, the lack of funds from oil that now goes to private companies from the western countries that led the bombings rather than to the libyan government (true that most of it went to gaddafi and relatives, but some at least went for domestic expenses), will see to that the libyan government will not be able to finance its own domestic defense. libya is now a petri dish for terrorism which will leak (if it didn't already) to the rest of the world.