So this is our journalist in Syria.

God bless the nerds.

...mother of god... that fedora...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    So this is our journalist in Syria.
    We should deport our hipsters to warzones too.

Well played, Russia. Well played.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Is this (guy) for real?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Is this (guy) for real?
    Depends on what do you mean. He is indeed there but no he is not fighting, just posing with a weapon( all grown up little boys dream) and being overenthusiastic about it. Apparently he is either a cameraman, or a laptop-viedo-cutting guy for ANNA news. He is also a blogger and has a Sephiroth from FFVII as an userpic( but who am I to judge).

Some blogs just claimed that Assad is dead. Could be true, could be rubbish.

Meanwhile, plot thikens.

Jihadists, not Assad, apparently behind reported chemical attack in Syria

I do realize however that Haaretz for all I know could be a Jewish analogue of The Sun or worse.

Also.

High precision assad-targetting rebel MLRS fires near Damascus, hope they turned FF off.

Last edited by coldvvvave; 24-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.

The videos of the fighting are amazing. Both sides are recording a load; dirty, unforgiving urban combat that hasn't really been seen before [By people not in said conflict].

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I do realize however that Haaretz for all I know could be a Jewish analogue of The Sun or worse.
    They're a leftist paper, so it'd be unlikely that they're pinning the blame on Jihadists due to some sort of misguided Zionism.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

This is almost as funny as it is terrifying.

sfw

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b47_1373716891

Funniest thing I saw this week.

SFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8r4Spy2xQI

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Some from Hong Kong posted some news photos of Homs after its recapture by the government force.

http://forum5.hkgolden.com/view.aspx...essage=4607467

And a poster posting comments that Homs was the last stronghold of the rebels. Loss of the city and they clause is doomed.

There was another interesting comment in that thread, that throughout the history, Romans was the ONLY power able to suppress all the violence in the Middle East.

Insane, it's just like Dresden 1944 after Allied aerial bombing. This is stupid and pathetic war. This is not a war against invasion. This is a stupid civil war, with fellow countrymen slaughtering each others.

I still missed the days two years ago when the news media here referred to the resistants as "demonstrators".
    Last edited by squirrel; 30-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Network Hub
    Homs is not the "last" city of the rebels, and it neither what will bring the rebels to a loss. while yes, it was a very important city both for the rebels and assad, but in the north and south of syria the "rebels" are still gaining the upper hand. assad really needed to cut their supply lines from those both ends. so while it was indeed a very important city that determined the ruling of mid syria, capturing it isn't ending the war anytime soon. it just makes it easier for assad to divide the parts they already have strong presence in and perhaps gain a few important victories there. but never the less, it will take years before syria will again be united and at peace. even if they kill assad tomorrow and conquer all of syria, the next day they will turn on each other because the rebels aren't really one group, its mix of conflicting groups of true syrian rebels, international terrorists and soldiers for hire that were brought in by the oil rich arab countries, all with different aspirations for syria.

Network Hub
    Looks like it may have been too early to claim homs was won by assad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPrdJpesbGc#at=46

Rebels shot grad missiles hit an important army weapons logistic center.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    There was another interesting comment in that thread, that throughout the history, Romans was the ONLY power able to suppress all the violence in the Middle East.
    The Ottomans and others managed it too. Really it's not until genocide became somewhat frowned upon that the region became a problem, primarily because the traditional method of either eliminating or displacing the more belligerent populations is no longer an option.
    This is stupid and pathetic war. This is not a war against invasion. This is a stupid civil war, with fellow countrymen slaughtering each others.
    Civil wars tend to be like that. It's a bit like Spain all over again, except replace Catholicism with Islam and the dictator starts off in government this time.

Bashar is really scum of the Earth. Last year, to trigger further unrest in the Middle East so that he, while was in lower hand back then, ordered to fire a few rockets and mortar rounds into Israeli so that Israeli would join the war and he hoped he could then win other Musilium powers would come to support him. That crazy act could trigger the Third World War for god sake! Fortunately Israeli restrained itself to waive this threat away (under America's pressure, I don't doubt).

I dont know if rebels are the good or bad guys. I do read some of the war crimes they committed, like executing POWs (and some postal workers too, some claimed that this is crime against civilians, but one should not ignore the fact many postal workers are among the rank of pro-Ba'ath militia). Most horrible one is that a rebel leader (I dont know who) butchered one POW and ate his heart, and uploaded this bloody scene to Youtube!! I personally believe it should be time for foreign powers to step in to end this stupid war.
    Last edited by squirrel; 02-08-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Network Hub
    Israel have been restraining itself for years when it comes to the northern borders.

Both bashar assad and the rebels from almost every group (and remember that there are many) are the bad guys.

China and Russia are making it pretty hard for the world to act.

Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Russia has been Syria's regime's ally for long. Of course it will not tolerate the Western powers to take any chances to challenge its position in the Middle East. Yet it remains to be seen if Russia's support is whole heart. Iraq was supposed to be Russia's ally too. Iraqi army received a large quantity of T72 tanks. So what, those tanks were sub-standard. Those T72s, while many being targets in some good shooting exercises for US militarymen, they didn't manage to damage even one M1 tank. Yet for the main battle tanks used by the Russia military itself, one tank could withstand 9 RPG hits and remain combat capable (combat proven in Chechen War), while 1 RPG hit could KO a US M1. So, I really doubt that Russia as an ally is dependable at the critical moment.

For China, our government has some blind faith in status quo. It would be the best not to adjust any balance of power. I personally think it's stupid. War had been on for 2 years there, what the world should do is to restore peace, not to hinder any effort of doing so.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Not really, they were against the Iraq invasion too but it didn't make much difference. Generally speaking objections in the international community only get listened to when they provide a convenient excuse for inaction.

Someone, foreign military or X-men, who ever, please stop the madness over there.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/21/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

Seriously, what the fuck is the world waiting for?!

Fighting over the capital city with biological weapon, they are turning Resident Evil: Damnation into reality.

My (admittedly basic) understanding of the reason nobody wants to step in, is that the victors are expected to commit genocide on the opposition. Regardless of who wins the war, their will be a massacre afterwards.

Additionally, there's no clear "good guys" as Al-qaeda operatives have apparently also joined the fighting, and even before that both sides had committed some fairly dubious acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    My (admittedly basic) understanding of the reason nobody wants to step in, is that the victors are expected to commit genocide on the opposition. Regardless of who wins the war, their will be a massacre afterwards.
    Foreign intervention shouldn't end with the end of a civil war, as most people would expect. Peace keeping force should maintain order until a legitimate regime is established with consent of majority. Serbs were also under similar threat with the end of the Bosnia civil war. Isn't Bosnia now a successful story to set a precedence for solving such crisis?

But then yes, that's exactly most would worry. I don't feel that Syrian rebels are good guy, too. After the war, the first thing foreign powers should do will be to disarm them.