Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Switzerland, GMT+1
    Posts
    99

    About to buy a new computer, need advice on the offer

    Hi huys,
    I'm about to build a new computer and I need your advice on the offer I was made.
    1440 CHF, aka 1001 pounds, aka 1170€. I would have the following computer :
    https://www.digitec.ch/?wk=yQM1Hlqk3tM

    Screen: Philips 240S4LPSB, 24" LED, DVI-D
    HDD: Seagate Desktop 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, 1TB, SATA-3
    Processors: AMD FX-6300, Vishera, 3.5GHz, AM3+, 6C/6T
    GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 3GB, PCI-E x16 3.0, DP, HDMI
    SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 450 128GB, SATA-3, 2.5 Zoll, 7mm
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 2x 8GB, DDR3-1866, CL9-10-9-27
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0, AMD 990FX, AM3+, CFX/SLI,
    Case: Sharkoon T5 Economy
    Power supply: Antec High Current GAMER Serie, HCG-520, 80Plus Bronze
    Keyboard: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH-Layout
    Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 412S

    Would that computer make sense? Are there way to optimize it without upping the price? Are the CPU, GPU and motherboard ok?

    I thank you for your advice to come.
    Last edited by Silgidorn; 26-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    One thing that jumps out to me is, you feel like you need 16GB of RAM, but you're cool with having a 7200rpm HDD? It just doesn't make sense to me to build a new machine today and not have at least a small SSD for your OS and a few games that benefit from faster load times.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  3. #3
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Switzerland, GMT+1
    Posts
    99
    Actually there is an ssd:
    SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 450 128GB, SATA-3, 2.5 Zoll, 7mm

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,301
    I would suggest a Samsung 840 Evo at the same price as the OCZ Vertex 450. Or the OCZ Vector for just a bit more.

    You can also get a cheaper motherboard. If you aren't planning to use multiple graphics card, a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 is sufficient. If you do want that option, you could get an MSI 990FXA-GD65 or Asus M5A99X EVO R2.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Silgidorn View Post
    Actually there is an ssd:
    SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 450 128GB, SATA-3, 2.5 Zoll, 7mm
    Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Sorry for my stupidity.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    979
    Samsung SSD's are the daddy right now. High read AND write, decent size at affordable prices. Can't comment on their longevity however, but then all SSD's will suffer from that sooner or later.

    I avoid AMD like the plague, but that's mostly to do with their horrific drivers more than the hardware itself. In this case, 6 cores may seem amazing, but programs that use multi core, especially games, are few and far between. With the new consoles round the corner many developers may choose to develop more multi threading into their games; if this was 6 months ago I'd have advised against it, but at it's price point, it blows the socks off anything Intel do at ~£90.

    For the same price as the GPU there you could bag yourself a number of different GeForce 760's, although you will be losing 1GB of DDR5. Although raw power of the 760 would be awesome, that missing memory wouldn't do you any favours. Also you do get a nice bit of synergy with AMD CPU and GPU.

    Agree with Sakkura on the mobo, I'd go out of my way to stick with ASUS though, cannot recommend their stuff enough.

    Oh and my girlfriend just posted me this. It's a tiered guide of what components to get for a specific budget. Might be a good way to rate your list!

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,014
    I strongly advice against selecting an AMD processor, you will be better off with an Intel processor in every single aspect, even at the same price point. My recommendation is the slightly more expensive i5 4670K though.

    I would also go with regular 1600 MHz DDR3 as it's cheaper and doesn't affect performance in any noticeable way, to my knowledge.
    Last edited by LaKroy; 26-08-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    688
    Edit: "#%¤"%"¤!"¤"!!"¤""# thing ate 90% of my post and I cannot be arsed to do it again. Anyway TL;DR I would get a core i5 either 3570k which is probably more expensive than what you have there or a i5 4570 which should be around the same price, or slightly more expensive (its also the newest model, Haswell).

    Get a cheaper motherboard, I can't really see any reason for you to get that one, you could probably get one at half price and not notice much. Just look at the sound card if you plan on using the built in to make sure its a decent chip/drivers. I really prefer Realtek soundcards over the Via ones. Simply because the drivers and software is way better. (at least for the ones I have tested)

    Keyboard: I would either get a cheaper one that is very basic or pay slightly more for a mechanical keyboard with the kind of switches you prefer. Cherry Red are very nice gaming keys, silent and requires very little force.
    Last edited by Wardancer; 26-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Samsung SSD's are the daddy right now. High read AND write, decent size at affordable prices. Can't comment on their longevity however, but then all SSD's will suffer from that sooner or later.

    I avoid AMD like the plague, but that's mostly to do with their horrific drivers more than the hardware itself. In this case, 6 cores may seem amazing, but programs that use multi core, especially games, are few and far between. With the new consoles round the corner many developers may choose to develop more multi threading into their games; if this was 6 months ago I'd have advised against it, but at it's price point, it blows the socks off anything Intel do at ~£90.

    For the same price as the GPU there you could bag yourself a number of different GeForce 760's, although you will be losing 1GB of DDR5. Although raw power of the 760 would be awesome, that missing memory wouldn't do you any favours. Also you do get a nice bit of synergy with AMD CPU and GPU.

    Agree with Sakkura on the mobo, I'd go out of my way to stick with ASUS though, cannot recommend their stuff enough.

    Oh and my girlfriend just posted me this. It's a tiered guide of what components to get for a specific budget. Might be a good way to rate your list!
    The Samsung 830 became renowned for its reliability and endurance. There were some concerns about the endurance of the basic 840 when it launched, because it uses a new type of memory that crams 50% more data into the same number of cells and that reduces endurance. However, it has since been demonstrated that the SSD still has plenty of endurance - it would last the better part of a decade even under heavy usage.

    As for the GPU, the 7950 should be cheaper than the 760, but that doesn't seem to have reached Switzerland yet. There is no particular synergy between an AMD processor and graphics card. It has actually been demonstrated that AMD's graphics cards are very slightly better suited for Intel-based systems, while Nvidia's fit slightly better in AMD-based systems. This is purely due to bandwidth usage and CPU bottlenecking, it's (obviously) not because they're designed to work better with one set of processors or chipsets.
    Last edited by Sakkura; 26-08-2013 at 10:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Lesser Hivemind Node Dewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The Samsung 830 became renowned for its reliability and endurance. There were some concerns about the endurance of the basic 840 when it launched, because it uses a new type of memory that crams 50% more data into the same number of cells and that reduces endurance. However, it has since been demonstrated that the SSD still has plenty of endurance - it would last the better part of a decade even under heavy usage.

    As for the GPU, the 7950 should be cheaper than the 760, but that doesn't seem to have reached Switzerland yet. There is no particular synergy between an AMD processor and graphics card. It has actually been demonstrated that AMD's graphics cards are very slightly better suited for Intel-based systems, while Nvidia's fit slightly better in AMD-based systems. This is purely due to bandwidth usage and CPU bottlenecking, it's (obviously) not because they're designed to work better with one set of processors or chipsets.
    Ah, did not know that. Thanks! do you know where to read up on that? Could be interesting

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,301
    The GPU thing? Here's an article to start off with.

  12. #12
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Switzerland, GMT+1
    Posts
    99
    Thank you!
    I'm looking into what you wrote with the guy that builds my computer. He will make me a new offer soon. I'll put it here when he does.

  13. #13
    Network Hub Qw33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Germany, Baden-Württemberg
    Posts
    175
    For a monitor I can highly recommand this one: http://geizhals.at/dell-ultrasharp-u...0-a665211.html
    I use it since december and I like it very much.

    The Keyboard I use is the Roccat Isku http://geizhals.at/roccat-isku-illum...0-a648485.html
    I like it, too, but I think it's not for everyone.

  14. #14
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    199
    Drop 8GB of RAM and buy a new game instead. You really won't benefit from having that much.

  15. #15
    i have to agree, 8GB RAM is all you need bro

  16. #16
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Switzerland, GMT+1
    Posts
    99
    Thanks again guys, the techie I'm working with still hasn't provided me with a new offer, but I think that getting just 8gb ram would be a good idea, just to lower the price and anyway I could buy 8more the day I feel it's needed.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,581
    In the SSD reliability thing - and the overall reliability thing - it's worth mentioning that it's not just which components you get, but where you get them from which can make a difference.

    Buying a PC from someone 'ready made' asks the question "what happens if a part fails" because sooner or later, something will.

    Also £1000 on an AMD system is weird - AMD offers a lot of bang for little bucks but if you have money to spend, I generally say "spend it on Intel"

  18. #18
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    770
    Concerning CPU: like many others have said already, I'd choose Intel.
    Concerning RAM: I'd say that 8 GB is quite enough, if you keep a free slot on your motherboard you can always add more later.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,374
    For me (prices in NL, that is) the i5-4670K + motherboard is 300 euro. The FX-8320 + motherboard is 200 euro.

    The price is 50% higher, the performance isn't. That makes the FX-8320 a valid choice, in my opinion.

    Also, if you don't plan on doing SLI/Crossfire ever, you can drop down from the 990FX chipset to the 970 chipset. The difference between those two is mainly in the crossfire ability.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,301
    A gaming computer with the Core i5-4670K costs maybe 900 euro, one with the FX-8320 instead costs maybe 800 euro. So the Intel build is 12.5% more expensive. Of course, that number depends on how expensive the rest of the system is, which is why an AMD CPU does make sense in a cheap system, but not in a more expensive one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •