Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use a 360 pad. Pretty much everything supports it and it isn't too expensive. Plus, if I ever get an xbox I'll have a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Anyway, I'm also on the lookout for a game pad since for some games (Walking Dead) x360ce just doesn't work unfortunately. I'm also wondering if I should get a XB360 pad, but there's the D-Pad issue and I'm not really fond of supporting MS XInput nonsense by also buying their pad.
    Not sure why you'd want to play TWD with a pad, KB+M works just as good, if not better. Most games use the D-Pad so that its lack of quality doesn't really make a difference (there are some exceptions) and if you want to stop messing with X360CE, it's either the 360 pad or a compatible one.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My feeling is that you need to own a 360 pad just because AND you might want to consider another pad/stick if you want a good DPad for older games/twitchy games AND you'll probably need a keys-to-pad software package too (all the up-to-date ones cost money but there are older 'free' versions around too).

How is the current Logitech jobbie for DPad games?

I'm in two minds about buying a pad right now. On the one hand, I'd quite like a 360 pad due to how compatible they seem to be, then again I've heard good things about the newer Logitech ones, despite having had a history of hardware failure from that particular company. Then again, is it better to wait for the inevitable XboxOne version when that eventually comes around?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Then again, is it better to wait for the inevitable XboxOne version when that eventually comes around?
    That's a long wait, and you never know if it's going to work with a PC, even though it's not completely unlikely.

I don't know much about pads, but what are the odds that the new xbox pad is such a big improvement over the old one that you would want to pay its full price, rather than buy the inevitably discounted (or second-hand) xbox 360 pad?

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I don't know much about pads, but what are the odds that the new xbox pad is such a big improvement over the old one that you would want to pay its full price, rather than buy the inevitably discounted (or second-hand) xbox 360 pad?
    I don't either, but according to wikipedia:

The Xbox One controller maintains the overall layout found in the Xbox 360 design. The directional pad has been changed to a four-way design, and the battery compartment is slimmer. Menu and View buttons have replaced the Start and Back buttons. Each trigger will also feature independent rumble motors called "Impulse Triggers", which allows developers to program directional vibration.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I use the madkatz street fighter fight pad, excellent DPAD.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwout View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a gamepad for PC, espescially to play co-op games and console ports that just play better that way. My main concern is compatibility and I'm not interested in any fancy feautures that just bump the price. I've been looking for some reviews etc. and it seems that the Xbox 360 controller is my best choice or are there any other suggestions?
    I bought a xbox360 controller and love it. Some games it works wonderfully with (monaco is a good example). Others its terrible (any FPS at all, ever). But hey, thats why we have mice and keyboards. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Since we're on the topic of the d-pad, last month I received a wired Xbox360 controller. Left and down click decently well, but up and right are mushy. Sometimes I'd miss notes in Sequence because of this lack of precise feedback.

Is this a typical issue of every 360 pad, or should I just have it replaced?
    You can't really replace it because the only way to get spares is to buy a new (or broken) controller...

The 360 DPad is shit - partly due to it's location, mostly due to it being a single pivotting pad.

The Logitech F310 has a floating DPad with 4 switches and so works a lot better (but the analog sticks suck without muchos tuning)

If you want a really, really good DPad - the solution seems to be to use a PS2 or PS3 pad. PS2 Adaptors are cheap (make sure you get a W7 compatible one - mine shows as a device but sees no pads in W7) and for PS3 you can use the charge cable or sometimes Bluetooth (although that falls into the realm of Bluetooth weirdness which also makes using - say - a Wii Classic Controller such a PAIN IN THE ARSE) - both require some unsigned driver faffery tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You don't need to mod anything, install drivers, try and negotiate past limited controller support

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I use the madkatz street fighter fight pad, excellent DPAD.
    Its a one size fits all solution, and it feels like a genesis pad.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I should add that using a Classic Controller II on a PC was a really nice experience - but they're not cheap and the wired adaptor you need to avoid the "hymns and incense" which is getting Bluetooth connections to work with Wii peripherals is 14!!

There's a part of me thinks it might be worthwhile - but realistically it's not, well, unless you have a thing for Dolphin perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You can't really replace it because the only way to get spares is to buy a new (or broken) controller...
    When I wrote that post, I had just got the pad so replacement meant taking it back in and have it swapped for a new one, whole. That was hell of a necroreply, kudos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was thinking more of the 'replacement' we do with things like SF Fightpads - where swapping the DPad rubbers is a common way to resurrect pads which have 'gone sloppy' (usually donated by pads with sticky ABXY buttons - the other fault they're common for and which is much harder to fix).

There are cheap Fightpads on Zavvi (UK Online Store and on eBay) atm - 13 is pretty good value for one of those - it's half the price of the Logitech pad, for example.

The X pads aren't quite as nice as the older IV pads but they're now pretty collectable with tired ones selling for twice that price on eBay (a new one in a box is probably worth 60-70 now).

I used to use my 360 one but it was wireless and I had to spend extra money on the wireless adapter. Theeen the battery on it died and I didn't feel like throwing more money at Microsoft. So I just plugged in the PS3 controller, installed that DS3 tool and went about my way with a much more reliable control.
    Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager
    STEAM: Reiken

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Erm - 360 controllers use AA batteries - you don't have to 'throw money at Microsoft' for those!? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Unless he bought it second hand, yes the wireless controller from MS comes with AA batteries. You buy the official MS rechargeable one with the recharge kit.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    But the PS3 controller has an internal battery that doesn't suck ass, and he's not even using that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    But the PS3 controller has an internal battery that doesn't suck ass, and he's not even using that.
    The internal battery is the only thing people don't complain about with the PS3 controller really - the triggers are pretty dreadful and whilst I don't mind the sticks and DPad, they're not hugely popular alternatives.

Then there's the slight faff which is making it work - I had to reboot and go through the unsigned drivers nonsense to make one work - other people have managed to run into more issues than that - but some people seem to get it working with less effort (I think it comes down to which of the dodgy drivers you get - and they're all a bit dodgy?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I recommend a Xbox controller(wired) or one of the logitech ones that use the same API. For older (non XInput games) that doesn't work, but those are just older games.

As for the PS3 controller, since MotionInJoy is a virus (InternetExplorer with ads to configure the driver), I google around and found this: http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/
    Still need their drivers, but at least it doesn't phone home for fucking ADS on a IE window.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?