Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Tried the Trine one but got irritated before I found any water. I've lost my game complete savegame, and apparently the first water must be a fair distance in.
    Level 5, crystal caverns. My previous save ended up corrupted as well, but I managed to get the achievement by switching characters. 13-14 seconds per character works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I went to the crystal caverns level, I think it's the 4th or 5th. Not sure if there's water before that. I had an item that let me stay underwater indefinitely, I'm not sure how you can do the achievement without that. Perhaps by switching characters when the breath of each gets low.
    I got the achievement by switching characters, each has its own breath meter.

Also did the achievement in Crystal Caverns, but I think there is water in an earlier level too.

Jolly Rover - Bon Voyage

Easy enough, just play through the game. Took me about 15mins to get to and complete the required puzzle. There is even a hint system in-game if you get stuck.

Iron Grip: Warlord
    Start a skirmish game on easy difficulty on the map bunker. Place a machine gun nest in front of your stronghold. Next, get yourself a rocket launcher. Take pot shots at enemy vehicles from the cliffs. Upgrade the machine gun and buy yourself a supply depot to restock rockets.
    Don't kill the officers, they shouldn't get close to your stronghold so you can just ignore them. They regenerate enemy morale, which allows you to play for as long as you need to.

And yet it moves got updated yesterday, there was a new achievment about making a drop of water fall over a bat.
    I guess I'll be turning the world around and around until the lucky hit :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Trine:

OK, here's one. If, like me, you finished Trine ages ago and lost your save, here's an easy way to get the ticket. Download this save game:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rrntz2yqrzy

Note: This is a 100% complete save, it will trigger the relevant achievements, you do NOT want to download and play with this save unless you are DONE with Trine and have no intention of playing it again, or you don't care if all the achievements are borked.

OK then, with the disclaimer out of the way, download, stick in Trine/profiles/default/save, load up the save, use "choose level" to go to the crystal caverns, fight your way to the water pool (a couple of minutes, at most) and switch characters as needed to get the achievement. If you have Steam Cloud turned on for the game, the easiest way to circumvent it is to simply rename the save file to a slot you haven't used, and then go to options to load that instance before going to "choose level."

Quote Originally Posted by mlaskus View Post
    Iron Grip: Warlord
    Start a skirmish game on easy difficulty on the map bunker. Place a machine gun nest in front of your stronghold. Next, get yourself a rocket launcher. Take pot shots at enemy vehicles from the cliffs. Upgrade the machine gun and buy yourself a supply depot to restock rockets.
    Don't kill the officers, they shouldn't get close to your stronghold so you can just ignore them. They regenerate enemy morale, which allows you to play for as long as you need to.
    Are "unlocks" for the skirmish in question, or persistant? That is, will "exploiting" the game thusly impact playing it "fair" later?

The unlocks are for the match only, so no worries there.

EDIT: It's not really an explot, that map simply makes it trivial to destroy vehicles and on easy difficulty an mg nest or two will take care of all the infantry.
    Last edited by mlaskus; 05-07-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: bacon

Well, I'm not going to make a Youtube account and create a video, so I guess I'd better find an alternative ticket source for today. Having just picked up a boxed copy of Warband that happened to register on Steam, I'm curious if there's a fast and easy way to drum up the money for a great sword so my female character can give it to a companion.

@mlaskus

Thanks for your suggestion on Irongrip Warlord. Not only was the achievement straightforward to get, I actually had fun getting it and discovered a game I quite enjoy. As I've stated elsewhere, 90% of the time these things make me dislike even games I liked before, so it's refreshing to have things go the other way.

Atom Zombie Smasher
    The achievement is really easy to get, you simply need to play a few rounds of the campaign until you get to July, then pick any area with infection on level one and rescue a hundred people. The game automatically overwrites your savegames, so it could be a good idea to copy the savegame before you attempt it.

I bought that game today and I'm absolutely loving it. I can definitely recommend it for it's current price.

@Vinraith
    I like those achievements a lot. They make me try new games and give me some goal to play towards. I often find myself not knowing what to play, my backlog is absolutely ridiculous.

Well, I'm not going to make a Youtube account and create a video, so I guess I'd better find an alternative ticket source for today. Having just picked up a boxed copy of Warband that happened to register on Steam, I'm curious if there's a fast and easy way to drum up the money for a great sword so my female character can give it to a companion.
    [...]
    Ah, ok. That's what they meant with that achievement. I was wondering how I could upload a video to Steam (I was thinking along the lines of TF2-videos and how it works with screenshots..).
    If you're lazy, someone on the Steam-forums posted a savegame here.

But I guess it should not take more than an hour or two to get the money regularly to buy a great sword..

Also, this might be a good test if the achievements only register on a specific day or if it also works afterwards. I might bring myself to try the HOARD-one again..

Spiral Knights:
    I don't really get what's fun about this game, the achievement requires you to grind until you get enough money to buy a bomb. I already have it and could give it to someone else.

. Having just picked up a boxed copy of Warband that happened to register on Steam, I'm curious if there's a fast and easy way to drum up the money for a great sword so my female character can give it to a companion.
    The quicker way to get it if you don't want to play that far into the game before Summer Camp finishes: enable cheats in the launcher, then press Ctrl X in the Inventory window to add 1000 gold. Do this a couple of times as you may need a bit more money to hire companions also. Buy great sword - usually available from the weapon smith in your starting town. Then restart the game with cheats disabled so that achievements trigger properly.
    Travel to taverns in the major cities looking to recruit a male companion, these are named people rather than a band of non-descripts. Once recruited, leave the city, talk to them, ask to see their equipment (is that a dirk in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?) then transfer the sword into their inventory. You might need to go through a few companions before you find one strong enough to accept a great sword. If the achievement doesn't trigger right away then camp for a bit or just carry on playing for a while.

AI War:
    Start a new map, have everything at default, except give yourself a 300% handicap. That should leave you with pretty much infinite resources (at least, for as long as this game will be).
    Scout a little, find the two easiest systems to take over, while building a reasonable force.
    Once your fleet is ready, 50 mixed ships should be enough, clean out those two systems, and colonize them.
    Build all three sizes of reactors in your new systems, and wait for the achievement to register.
    I did it in 20-30mins, since I had to remember how to play the game, so it's not too bad.

Oh yeah, almost forgot; the AI might launch a raid in retaliation for losing those systems, so make sure you have some defenses at your home base.

Guardians of Graxia:
    Go to skirmish selection, and pick "Shadd's Gambit"
    Summon a couple of units, and just be passive, while trying to get as many spells as possible.
    With a little luck you should get a Hell Storm card. I had 2 by turn 3 or so.
    Wait until around turn 4, while staying alive, for when your opponent has summoned a bunch of units around him.
    Use the Hell Storm, centered on him, and that should do it.
    Again I had forgotten how to play the game, and I played at low resolution so I could barely make out the description on the spells, so this one is rather easy.
    Last edited by Zyrden; 06-07-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Also, this might be a good test if the achievements only register on a specific day or if it also works afterwards. I might bring myself to try the HOARD-one again..
    You can definitely do them on any day (of the sale). I did the Defence Grid one yesterday, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrden View Post
    AI War:
    Start a new map, have everything at default, except give yourself a 300% handicap. That should leave you with pretty much infinite resources (at least, for as long as this game will be).
    Scout a little, find the two easiest systems to take over, while building a reasonable force.
    Once your fleet is ready, 50 mixed ships should be enough, clean out those two systems, and colonize them.
    Build all three sizes of reactors in your new systems, and wait for the achievement to register.
    I did it in 20-30mins, since I had to remember how to play the game, so it's not too bad.

Oh yeah, almost forgot; the AI might launch a raid in retaliation for losing those systems, so make sure you have some defenses at your home base.
    Even quicker: Start a new game. When the map comes up you can click on a system to start there (it'll become highlighted). Click on multiple systems. You'll get a warning about the AI being made more difficult to compensate. Start the game anyway. Get achievement automatically as your net energy (on six systems) is over a million. End game.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Even quicker: Start a new game. When the map comes up you can click on a system to start there (it'll become highlighted). Click on multiple systems. You'll get a warning about the AI being made more difficult to compensate. Start the game anyway. Get achievement automatically as your net energy (on six systems) is over a million. End game.
    Hah! Yeah that is a fair bit quicker, clever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Left 4 Dead 2:
    The Cold Stream Campaign is def. one of the better campaigns. Really tight at times with satisfying chokepoints.
    Be aware that you have to play the campaign from beginning to end, you can not drop in or start with the last chapter (and you have to get into the chopper yourself). Which difficulty you pick does not matter.

BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
    Very easy actually, you need to finish a level and get all the gold bars, and when the bonus level starts just neglect to jump over the first fire you see. I did level 1-4.

Any tips on the Beat Hazard one, is it tricky?

Picked it up yesterday and tried it late last night when I was much too tired, just the throbbing neon on the menu screen and the banging trance made me feel like a pensioner who'd walked into the middle of a rave. Will try it again when I feel fresher.

edit: Also, if there a way to sync your whole itunes library in one go? I tried quickly and only seemed to be able to select individual tracks within a folder.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 07-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.

does the beat hazard work if you play the classic version? That way you only need the luck of getting the two small bosses instead of the big one.