Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

My nw graphics card is driving me insane. Please help!

A couple of days ago I bought a new GTX670 the ASUS model as that one turned out to be the most quiet of the 670s in various tests and seemed like a rather decent bit of hardware.

However after installing it into my computer after it is done booting windows (which works perfectly fine) it just shows a black screen. Every once in a while the desktop may flash up and the monitor every once in a while detects a signal but most of the time it does not.
    I've updated drivers, uninstalled and installed pretty much everything, but the problem remains.
    I do suspect some kind of problem with the drivers as the card works perfectly well when Windows boots in protected mode...

Any suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Reseat the graphics card into your mobo.

Uninstall the drivers manually and reinstall. (Don't let the install uninstall old drivers for you).

What power supply do you have? Is all the PCIE power adapters plugged in?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Is your graphics card somehow jumping into a higher refresh rate than your display can handle? What display are you using? If it's something like a HD tv, I've seen issues before where setting the refresh rate of your display too high results in the tv displaying no signal/black screen?

If you boot to windows and it goes black, can you set the displays refresh rate differently? Do you have another display to test it on?

Does your motherboard have onboard graphics? If so, then we know the PC has at least picked up that the GPU is plugged in. If your PC does not have onboard graphics, then I would suggest making sure you've actually plugged in the power leads! I had the same problem, one of the 6 pin power plugs was unplugged.

OK. First of all thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

I manually installed and uninstalled all drivers known to man I don't know how many times.

My PSU delivers 650 watts which should be plenty. It is a high efficiency one and the new card when not wrangling with some 3D monster games needs less power than my last one. . .

The power cables are plugged in correctly, there are actually small LEDs next to the power sockets, which are red when the card is slotted in and the power cables are not plugged in or not plugged in correctly.

I do not have on-board graphics. So that should not be a problem.

About the refresh rate. Interesting idea actually. Does not quite explain way there is a picture every once in a blue moon, but that might be a problem. The computer is plugged into an ASUS monitor and my TV, which isn't much help as both run at the same refresh rate and resolution.
    I might unearth my old 19" CRT from the basement and see if that works...

Also as long as windows boots in protected mode everything is fine and dandy, thus I suspect that it must be in some way linked to the drivers. The problem is that the card is still pretty new and the older drivers from nVidia refuse to install as there is no 'compatible' software installed.

Fourth day with out my main computer.
    And the ASUS 'support' is more than a bit shit. . .

Another observation I made today.
    When booting Windows it seems that the thing can't decide on a monitor. It keeps switch back and forth between the two screens several times a second, sometimes sending a signal to one screen then to the other. Also windows is semi loaded in the background, in the short moments when the screen flashes on I got as far as opening the nVidia control center. Fat good that did me.
    Last edited by Sunjumper; 17-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Have you tried unplugging the TV and just running the monitor to see if that helps? If it is flashing between one and the other it may be having difficulty there somehow? Not sure what that'd signify, though.

I ran it on the monitor alone and on the TV alone.
    Still black screen. gnnnn

Time for an expedition into the basement.
    It might be that the driver for some reason is locked the wrong refresh rate.

In moments like these I hate P.C.s You spend a rather hefty amount of money on new hardware only to find that it simply does not work on your system.

Out of interest, what motherboard do you have? I can only think that something in the drivers is trying to make use of something your motherboard doesn't support.

MY motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R.

And it works on the old CRT.
    W.T.F. ?!? o_O

And here the driver set it self to a low resolution and 60 hz refresh rate.
    I will try to hook up my my new monitor now as the secondary display and see if I can get it to work from there.

And I get exactly nowhere.
    As soon as I plug in either LCD monitor or TV as the second device the card goes mental again, tries to make the newer hardware the main display with the usual disastrous results. While the CRT tends to show the picture of the second monitor something in the drivers causes sufficient mayhem that I can only watch the system crash with wild abandon.
    Looks like I'll have to go back to my 260 for now.

And another one. While the card does detect the monitor and the TV correctly (it shows that they are plugged in and identifies them correctly and every once in a blue moon sends them a picture which they display as they should) it does not recognize them as being present as video devices.
    Last edited by Sunjumper; 19-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.

So, we're probably looking at something between your graphics drivers and your monitors. Now, I've heard of hacking the extended display identification data to stop the sound getting routed down the HDMI cable, but can't honestly say this is related, advisable or will help in any way.

I will try to get some kind of help out of customer support tomorrow.
    There will probably be an update to the drivers that will fix the problem.

The CRT runs fine (and those things still produce pictures that put most flat screens to shame) but any kind of digital display drives the card utterly bonkers.

Now the 260 is plugged in again which works fine with all the hardware and the new drivers.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunjumper View Post
    I will try to get some kind of help out of customer support tomorrow.
    There will probably be an update to the drivers that will fix the problem.

The CRT runs fine (and those things still produce pictures that put most flat screens to shame) but any kind of digital display drives the card utterly bonkers.

Now the 260 is plugged in again which works fine with all the hardware and the new drivers.
    Hell yeah they do.

Anyhow if it works on the crt it's probably a refresh rate/resolution issue, no? LCD tvs don't really handle a lot of refresh rates and resolutions.

I'd suggest a more through driver sweep- try this and see if it works: http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/h...ia-gpu-drivers.

I've heard about random issues with HDMI/DisplayPort connections on certain monitors. Are you using a DVI cable? Or something like a HDMI to DVI? The latter might give you issues (but I have no idea why).

If that doesn't work then just RMA the thing.

It was not the refresh rate as the CRT was working fin in 60hz default. . .

And it was connected either by HDMI to HDMI (does not work) or DVI to HDMI (did not work either) or DVI to VGA (that one worked).

So I lost my patience and RMA the damn thing. I am pretty sure that something important isn't right on a hard ware level with the bloody thing. . .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It sounds like its having a problem with full digital signals.

Good call on RMA

I've seen issues before where setting the refresh rate of your display too high results in the tv displaying no signal/black screen?

Banned
    Honestly 650w just doesn't sound like enough to me.

See if it happens with the next one and report back because im eyeing up a 670 in the near future

About the PSU.

The card packaging mentioned a 550 W PSU as requirement with two six pin connectors.
    That leaves me with an extra 100 watts and I have two six pin connectors who double as eight pins. The PSU has a high efficiency above 80+ (I can't be bothered to look inside the case to see how much more exactly) and was designed to run my old Core2Quad alongside an inhuman GTX280 which consumed more power than a small village.
    Besides my old card drew more power idling than the new one which really does not draw all that much power while pushing windows about. Had it crashed in the midst of The Witcher 2 or some other graphically demanding game I would certainly have had my suspicions about the power supply.
    Furthermore as I mentioned before, if I plug in a CRT the card runs fine. My old faithful companion can be cranked up to 1600x1200 (at 85hz, not that I am still bitter about the mediocre crap we call monitors today) which posed no problem for the card. Seems that that things was more of a Luddite when it comes to screens than I am.

Network Hub
    Hey,

Digging this one up because I was wondering if you ever found a, ahem, resolution.

I've put together a new machine over the last couple of days and all was going swimmingly until I tried to install the drivers for the GTX670.. from then on, I had a problem very similar to yours. The machine recognises it, as it reads it upon first starting up briefly before the BIOS screen. It also seems to be powered and in fine, as the display was working through the GPU port. I've tried all the sensible things I can think of, as it will start in safe mode... so I've tried rolling back to no drivers and it starts ok. I've tried newer drivers than those suppled on the disc to no avail. I've read that there could have been some conflicts with audio on-board stuff, so disabled different things there, too.. as well as a few other things. The fact is, I can't get round it, and it's pissed me off all day. This seems to be a very common problem with the 670, so I'm not alone as well as not amused. Seems to me it must be a driver issue alone, and I'm not sure what else to do other than send it back, maybe try with a different one, and then give in and go woth something else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Honestly 650w just doesn't sound like enough to me.

See if it happens with the next one and report back because im eyeing up a 670 in the near future
    I know this is a semi-old post, but I'd just like to point out that 650W is absolutely plenty for a typical system with a single GTX 670. If your CPU and other components aren't too power-hungry, you can run two GTX 670s on it as well.

Always assuming the 650W PSU is actually any good. Fake wattages do happen.