Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Have you tied plugging in both the TV and your monitor to see if it is being detected at all by the new card? If so can you force a suitable resolution? Rinse and repeat for each DVI port.

Obscure Node
    how are you guys ... after trying so many "not working" solutions for my trouble, i come to you as a last hope... i downloaded "The settlers 7 paths to kingdom" after so long waiting time...and once i try to install it gives me that damn error saying "runtime error abnormal program termination" and it refuse to start....please give me a solution

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgoit View Post
    Have you tied plugging in both the TV and your monitor to see if it is being detected at all by the new card? If so can you force a suitable resolution? Rinse and repeat for each DVI port.
    If he's finds out it's just one port which pushes analog he's going to freak out isn't he? :)

HDMI->VGA adaptors rely on an analog signal being present of course - even if the plugs/cables are wired for analog (the 4 pings around the long single pin to the side of the plug) (and if it worked with another card they clearly are) the card may not be pushing analog for some reason.

Have you dug around in Catalyst to see if the card has an enable/disable Analog option?

The other possible issue is that your card attempts to 'detect' the monitor settings through the cable - if the adaptor/cable is somehow interfering with that, the card could be choosing stupid settings which don't work with the monitor. Have you tried booting into safe mode (which forces standard Windows drivers with VGA output) and seeing if that works?? In there you could then setup the monitor settings/driver properly perhaps - and then reboot and 'see stuff'??

It's weird for a relatively new monitor not to have DVI - the old clunker I'm staring at, replete with it's backlight stress lines, has DVI and it's 5-years-old next month!!

Network Hub
    Hi

OK - maybe a final update. I think I'm not too bothered about getting the DVI to work. I think it's too much hassle - provided the HDMI does work, then I don't believe there's any reason to worry too much. I've no intention of dual-screening etc. I did consider exploring it all more fully, but after a few cursory checks, I ordered a HDMI --> my monitor converter cheap in the sales - 15 instead of 50 - and bingo. It converts perfectly as far as I can detect, I don't believe there's latency of any noticeable form.. so in essence, it's a sufficient workaround for me. I'm just relieved that I was right about not being entirely incompetent. I knew I'd done everything right, but was doubting myself at one point because I just couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for all your help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Glad you got it working - it's between you and the guy on another forum who's PC shutdown and wouldn't restart when he plugged-in a USB stick that has had me scratching my head the most for quite some time ;)

and no - we didn't solve his issue either - I think it was just a fluke that he inserted a memory stick and his motherboard went 'poof'