Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

Guardian class thread

Guardians are resilient fighters who block all of your attacks and still stand after all your abilities are on cooldown. They also give defensive boons to allies and heal their conditions when they're not knocking you around with a hammer or keeping you permanently on fire.

For PvE, if you think dodging is too much effort or you prefer to play Guild Wars 2 only using your feet, guardian is the perfect class for you.

Pulchrum est paucorum felium.

Pros:
    -Fun and diverse weapon skills.
    -Amazing defensive support abilities.
    -High armor, regeneration.
    -Can evade attacks from an individual enemy for a long time if timed right.
    -Very forgiving in PvE.
    -Large amount of light combo fields, with some fire.
    -You will look like a team player without even trying, or caring.

Cons:
    -Lowest health pool together with thief and elementalist.
    -Combo finishers are concentrated on a couple of weapons, no projectile finishers.
    -Scepter only true ranged option, but unique PBAoE on the staff.
    -"Save Yourselves!" is ridiculous and will get a nerf (unless you're fighting anything challenging).

You may talk about guardians and how you never bothered to change the dye on your armor before picking the pauldrons with the ankh here.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 30-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    "Save Yourselves!" used to be a weapon skill on the staff which kind of kept it in check. I would not be surprised if it got some rebalancing now it is free to roam with all the other skills and weapons. Hopefully the cooldown will take a hit and nothing else.

Definitely going to play a guardian as my main character. I really loved having a huge two handed hammer or sword as my main weapon and a one hander with a shield as my secondary for some more defensive bonus whenever needed. Not really sure which way I'm going with the traits yet, probably the way which gives more benefits to support abilities.

Also, perhaps someone with more knowledge about the game can help me with this question.
    I remember that the guardian had a few abilities that could heal your allies (the staff if I remember correctly) and there is a stat that can boost your healing done.
    Now I know that healers don't really exist in GW2 but I'm just wondering if boosting this stat and going like full support is even viable? Would it be useful at all? Also, does any other class have abilities that can potentially heal your allies or is guardian the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    Now I know that healers don't really exist in GW2 but I'm just wondering if boosting this stat and going like full support is even viable? Would it be useful at all? Also, does any other class have abilities that can potentially heal your allies or is guardian the only one?
    Healing-wise... elementalists in water attunement have healing, engineers have a lot of healing, rangers can produce healing springs. And I'm probably forgetting someone.

Every profession has access to mitigation in the form of boons and conditions of some kind. The guardian has almost exclusive access to aegis and protection boons, but that is just one form of mitigation - even guardians can do a lot more than just that.

Full support builds are possible but if you play as one you'll be doing a lot more than just healing - providing boons, applying conditions, laying out combo fields for your friends, and you'll probably still be attacking a lot.
    Last edited by Screwie; 17-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Oh, I did not know that so many classes have group healing abilities. That's great to know, thanks Screwie!

I guess even if you're trying, the traditional healer role won't work out in GW2 at all and that might be a good thing. I haven't been in a real group situation yet so I'm having some trouble imagining how a melee oriented group with only self-heals would do in a more difficult dungeon. Even in world events, the "dude" getting targeted by the mighty enemy is most likely going to fall down sooner or later. It might change around in the later levels with better equipment, traits etc., I didn't really push myself past 20 so there's a lot I still haven't seen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I don't know if they tweaked them but the area denial skills were fantastic in the structured PvP.

Often the "blocking line" has the perfect length to keep enemies off a stairwell or bridge while your teammates pepper them with missiles.

Guardian healing was nerfed pretty hard last stress test. There's nothing wrong with going mace or staff for your weapon to get some extra healing, but I'm not sure if going for healing power will be worth it at all compared to more straightforward stuff like power.

Here are the patch notes, by the way: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/7...-achievements/

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I don't know if they tweaked them but the area denial skills were fantastic in the structured PvP.

Often the "blocking line" has the perfect length to keep enemies off a stairwell or bridge while your teammates pepper them with missiles.
    Oh yes this is another thing guardians do that no one else can.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Oh yes this is another thing guardians do that no one else can.
    Ele in tornado form does a pretty decent job :]

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Ele in tornado form does a pretty decent job :]
    Haha, well yes there are other ways of preventing an enemy from entering an area.

Rejoice, "Save Yourselves!" is a stun breaker now too.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Guardian will be my main in GW2.

Must remember to change the dye color before picking the ankh pauldrons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    After much thought, I've finally come up with a guardian build that I'm fairly happy with. I'll post it here so Malawi can rip into it because I know how much he loves AH.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQ...syMsYVwWgTBPCA

This is the WvW version, armour swap for dungeons would be Rampager rather than 'zerker as I'm going for power & condition damage; condition variation will come from Sigils rather than skills and the idea is reapply rather than long duration. This is primarily a support build though hence the AH; because I can't think of a way around it.

That said if anyone can think of a better way of doing this, let me know.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Banned
    Another guardian here - but as this will be my main I just have to go for the visionary helm thematically, even if I don't like it visually...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    So fellow watchers, what are your skills, traits, weapons of choice?

So far I haven't specialized much and just went along with PvE but I tried a focused spirit weapon built in sPVP yesterday and it was great. Love the greatsword + staff combo for both AoE damage and utility. Blocking either incoming or fleeing enemies with the line of holding is extremly satisfying.

Is anyone running a flame guardian and would share their secrets?

I played with a fellow RPSer who was running a human female guardian and she dealt so much damage it wasn't even funny. I couldn't catch up at all with my thief.

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    I played with a fellow RPSer who was running a human female guardian and she dealt so much damage it wasn't even funny. I couldn't catch up at all with my thief.
    That greatsword had just come out of the furnace, so it probably was the finest you could get around that level. You should invest into more serious weaponry, those paintball guns you had there didn't seem to do much. Just saying!

PS. I'm not a human, I'm a lot taller than they are.

My charr is short so it's difficult to compare, heheh. About the guns, I don't have hunting craft and haven't found better karma guns... The ones I have deal about as much damage as my daggers, which are exactly my level, so I don't think I can get much better guns.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    If you're level 20, you can get some decent weapons for Karma from the vendor in WvW.

Sweet, will check it, thank you!!