Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    But as RPS isn't a super serious guild, we're usually happy to run with people doing what they want and as long as they can keep themselves alive then it's usually all good :3
    and even then, there are some people who seem to enjoy spending all their time rezzing those zerker warriors, guardians, rangers who spend half the fight asleep at the bosses feet

so basically, decide how you want to play... do you want to be a support build designed to keep everyone in your party alive or a selfish smasher of heads; or a supertanker that just never dies

Incidently, that website I've linked to is good for playing around with your build.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Excellent - some good advice there which I'll spend some time absorbing using the website mentioned. I'm generally happy to play most ways - selfish DPS or group oriented healer/debuffer/condition-remover (forgive me if my terminology is a bit off sometimes - I'm carrying a lot of WoW-related baggage in my MMO knowledge!) but realistically am likely to have to limit myself initially because I won't have the gear for multiple roles and won't have the regular playtime to earn multiple gear-sets in parallel.

Thus, I'm more likely to pick what I think would be most appreciated/useful first because it'll get me the most invitations when I am looking to run some group content and there-after I'll start building the more selfish gear-sets once the primary one is solid.

Thanks for the tips so far, much appreciated.

-B-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Doing damage is not selfish. It's the least selfish thing you can do in a group. That idea is a leftover from trinity days, when healing and tanking was required but only a small fraction of the playerbase actually enjoyed it, with everyone else forced to make the noble sacrifice to get into groups. Forget all about that. For PvE builds, healing is not an option (healing skills scale badly) and tanking is not an option either (gear and stat related aggro mechanics are myths).

Guardians are in the unique position of having vital defensive buffs and support no matter what build they run and some of the highest damage in the game. It's up to you to learn these tools and use them to their greatest effect.

This is a build for damage and condition removal: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...uardian-build/
    This is for damage and defense: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ammers-in-pve/
    This is for damage and damage: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...s-build-guide/

Pick one of those and you will be fine in any PvE content. For some dungeons you'll want condition removal so you take the first, sometimes you want to play with hammer for the protection so you take the second etc. You will switch out utilities all the time depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    (gear and stat related aggro mechanics are myths).
    Got any source for that? I know that aggro mechanics have been tested before and armor was definitely something that went into the formula, although the exact mechanic seems to be unclear. Guardians are one of the preferred classes in PvE because they bring good reflection and stability, damage-wise I would say they are a bit behind Warriors and Rangers for AOE damage and certainly behind Thiefs for single target damage.

I worded that badly. I should have said "tanking mechanics" or something. You can't tank due to gear because the influence of stats on aggro is much much lower than proximity, damage or simply random chance.

Yes, guardians are behind thieves in damage. I'm not sure about warriors since the big trait change (solo probably yes, in a group with buffs probably no), and rangers only get up to their numbers with the pet (which has its own host of problems).
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 31-07-2013 at 11:07 PM.

All I know is that increased armour apparently still has an influence on aggro, but to be honest I don't know how it works in detail. Would be a pain to test in a reproducable manner I would assume.

Concerning the damage, I think Warriors still come out on top (slightly), since any boon Guardians can contribute as a damage increase Warriors can bring too with the advantage that a Warrior can provide Empower Allies and Banner of Precision. Ranger damage potential compared one-on-one with that of a Guardian might in fact not be greater, but since they got the blast finisher with the last patch and can bring a party-wide damage buff that doesn't rely on boons (Frost Spirit, 70% chance to deal 10% more damage with Vigorous Spirits, no internal cooldown despite what the tooltip says) Rangers have become a real option. Don't know if the internal cooldown will be changed (probably yes), that would be a shame.
    Last edited by Squiz; 01-08-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Network Hub
    Frost spirit is cool but it's pretty challenging keeping it up at all time. It has so little health that majority of enemies can one-hit it into oblivion. I usually put it up only for myself/other ranged toons as I try to put it as far away from boss as possible (around 1800 range).
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Xen finally hit 80 last night. Blew badges of honour and laurels on zerker gear for him (will grab some pvt from temples in the week if I need to survive longer)
    I think he'll be mainly running dungeons, might even level him in fracs. Getting sick of great sword, so do folk advocate a 1 handed strength sword build or hammer? What are pros/cons of each?
    He's also got the fractal sceptre skin as a graduation present!
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    The hammer seems pretty divisive. It provides some decent damage, and nice utility (-33% damage for those around you on more or less 100% uptime is not to be sniffed at). Some people don't like its slow attacks. I think sword is probably better DPS overall, and coupling it with focus gives you an extra panic putton for yourself (plus a blind).

I tend to switch depending on the circumstances. Sword is viable, if not optimal, even without right-hand strength. I run a cookie-cutter AH build at the moment, though I'm thinking of trying out some other builds (oh for build templates!).
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Pure of Voice is twice as effective since the last patch. I don't want to know what kind of spaghetti code is behind shouts and traits related to shouts.

It's not the first time either, right? I think something similar was happening in the past.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    3 days into my max level guardian and I'm loving it. I seem immune to conditions (that pure of voice bug may have sonething to do with that), damage isn't quite up with my warrior but I'm downed less so probably evens out. Need to practice him in dungeons next.
    this means I'm now Ele for wvw; thief for JPs / guild puzzles; guardian for dungeons; warrior for fracs.
    engi and ranger still levelling.
    my necro and mes need a role though... I can swap the above based on party composition, but those 2 aren't getting much play...
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Been considering giving the Radiance/Right-hand strength build a try. Not certain of the details, exactly; how does this look?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAs...fTq3ATIAybBA-e

Or do people go 0-30-10-30-0 in order to get Pure of Voice? I'm quite keen to get Mace to work somehow, but that (and its corresponding traits) is switchable, since I'm guessing even the 1H build involves a lot of use of Greatsword. Torch is the second offhand because (a) shield is fairly pants in PvE except situationally, and (b) the Torch 5 skill does a lot of direct damage on a short cooldown. But again this would be switched out whenever a 2H weapon was required.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    With those traits I don't see the 10 extra points in Valor doing much, the minor trait is pants and the mace isn't a damage weapon so squeezing an extra 5% damage out doesn't help much. So all you're looking at there is the stat gains.

I'd imagine it'd be more popular to go either 10 in zeal for fiery wrath or at least 5 in virtues.

Other than that though I'm happy to hear your results.

I tend to stay away from builds like this because I see my guardian as a support class with damage as opposed to the other way around, thus I keep things like PoV and staff for the party gains.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm using the exact build posted by Malawi above (1st link for DPS/cond removal). 0/30/0/30/10
    sword/focus and swap out to scepter/focus if I need to range. Not using GS at all, or mace/torch, but I'll try the latter 2 offhands out when I get the gear. Not keen on GS as I overused it levelling and my warrior has already used it to death so I want a change.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    the Torch 5 skill does a lot of direct damage on a short cooldown.
    Numbers on the screen can be deceiving. It does less damage than even mace auto.

You should just go with Brazil's build I posted above with Greatsword and Sword/Focus (swapping to scepter for certain situations). 0/30/0/30/10 has both strong condition removal (especially now) and the reduced cooldown for Wall of Reflection, which is much more useful than anything traiting for mace would give.

For a damage rotation use your greatsword skills starting and ending with Whirling Wrath, then switch over to sword and auto until you can swap again. I just figured I had to write this down somewhere, so it might as well be here.

Thanks, that's helpful! I see what you mean about the torch skill, since it takes a very long time to rack up its large numbers.

Edit: Why does Brazil suggest Sigils of the Night? Are a disproportionate number of dungeons set at night? (I hadn't noticed either way.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I don't think so, I've run dungeons with ghost pepper poppers, and they mostly seem to give might than chill.
    I really wish there was a proper might on crit option though.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

According to this, only CM, HotW and Arah are set during the day (plus some fractals).

I guess one could carry two versions of each MH weapon: one with a sigil of the night and one with a sigil of battle, and switch them out depending on the situation.

Hope you learned something about guardians today: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post2763012