Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Very useful post, but everyone else in the thread seems to disagree ("zomg this is embarrassing are people really still running AH in PvE"). Though it's not clear that there's a real disagreement. Sure, the 0/x/30/30/x build is probably not optimal for speedrunning easy stuff. But for anything challenging, it gives awesome group support whilst retaining good damage.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You're wrong and bad and I knew it all along. I was making fun of the post, especially because of its partronizing tone considering who he's talking to.

While the rest of his post isn't entirely wrong (just with a lot of completely unwarranted hyperbole), I do take issue with his defending of AH and the 30 points in Valor. AH just does nothing. It doesn't give support, it doesn't do damage, and it doesn't turn you into an invicible supertank either. The entire "synergy" he speaks off is due to the other boon-giving skills that are taken to make AH viable in the first place, but you don't need AH for any of them (which is at the end of a mediocre trait line to boot).

But I'm repeating myself.

Also, if someone wants to talk about the performance of that build in WvW that's fine, but from context this is not what was discussed.

Edit: Note that I said mediocre trait line, not weak. There are useful traits in it, but they're for very specific builds.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 08-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Yeah, I think the hammer symbol build does pretty much everything the AH build does, but gives the healing to everyone in melee range as well as group protection instead of just healing yourself. I'm only not using it cause I find the hammer too slow for me, especially as I try not to break combos.

I'm probably going to go back to the PoV 1h sword build as my current squishy one doesn't work as well whilst we're getting some new people through dungeons and the fights are taking longer :]

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Very useful post, but everyone else in the thread seems to disagree ("zomg this is embarrassing are people really still running AH in PvE"). Though it's not clear that there's a real disagreement. Sure, the 0/x/30/30/x build is probably not optimal for speedrunning easy stuff. But for anything challenging, it gives awesome group support whilst retaining good damage.
    It's a trap!
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

*pulls self out of trap*

I realise that that AH itself gives no support and is entirely "selfish". I usually read "the AH build" to encompass other things (like EM, etc), which are entirely separable from AH itself; but that's a mistake since AH is no necessary party of this build. As you say, it's the other traits that are giving party boons, support, etc.

It's basically the old discussion about killingspeed vs. personal preference (or suitability for "unoptimised" groups). I often find it hilarious how some people on the official forums and gw2guru think that their personal opinion is FACT, but that's the internet for you.

On a related note, here is a discussion about why the one-dimensional gearing requirements spell doom for build diversity and what would be an alternative approach. Not that anyone really expects things to change but maybe some aspiring MMO designer reads those discussions and will get something out of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Completely not up to date with all builds and mechanics, please do dismiss my opinion, but personally I find AH to be really great in the hammer build I am using. It lets me keep up hammer attacks on bosses pretty much all the time, massively increasing the amount of damage I can put out and ensuring symbol buffs/debuffs are constantly up.

It may well be non-optimal for someone that knows every fight well, but for a part timer like myself it is great.

A sample Hammer symbol build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJAS...MBrPEPYPwoPqjA

AoE healing, vulnerability, a 2nd AoE stability, 15% extra boon duration and more damage than a typical AH build.
    There's a fair amount of flexibility as well if you wanted to put some extra damage through radiance, swap in EM for fights you don't need PoV in etc or swap it for longer duration and size for PoV and shout recharge. If you're running other skills like wall of reflection more then that works too.

Hammer is the main weapon for it due to the large amount of symbols it throws out but staff and GS are good supporting weapons for extra symbols and utility.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They did increase the hammer's symbol size considerably since I last played. Think this is roughly the build I have been using. Will probably give a more symbol-oriented build a go, but how does the damage compare when you drop the bonus crit dmg and might stacking?

The might stacking is pretty even, EM with a high crit chance (at least 50%+) gives you probably an average of 3 might stacks up at any time for the party. You trade this for +20% boon duration so your hammer blast finishers, justice boons, staff might, etc. give that bit more as well as the extra fury duration from save yourselves. Also PoV will give extra might/fury depending on the fight.

Your damage should be higher with this build as whilst you lose some precision and crit damage you gain power and a few key traits. Fiery wrath should give a constant +10% damage boost, especially in dungeons where most things will be permanently burning and power of the virtuous gives another 1% damage per boon on you as well as those times you keep aegis up for another +20%. The difference here being that these increases work on all damage and not just crits (they stack with crit damage).

But it's just a build, try some out. It costs very little to respec so if you don't like it it's not a big deal to go back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Decided to bring one of my PvE characters into WvW as waiting in queues on my necro is too frustrating, and I'd rather queue on a character I enjoy exploring / doing world boss events on. Also never run with a heavy in WvW. Choice is either Guard or Warrior, so figured I'd try guard for a bit as Mira gets more outings than Xen in fracs and dungeons. What is the thinking on WvW builds? Was going to use my existing (backup) soldier armour and zerky trinkets. Probably need to invest in a hammer - soldier or zerker? What is the armour rune/weapon sigils of choice? Will I piss off apricot and Malawi if I think about AH in WvW?
    Apologies in advance for any curses in guild chat about having to retrait whenever I move to/from WvW.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

My guardian runs Soldier's armor + runes of the Soldier in WvW (and, of course, only in WvW). Zerker weapons, simply because I don't want to have to carry around two sets of weapons as well as three sets of armor.

Maybe cleric is an option too? I'm not sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I run knights armour, but do die far too easily.
    If you don't have a hammer get one, and if you're only going to use it in WvW soldiers/knights is the best option probably with sigil of water if you are running with the zerg.

cookie cutter build for WvW is AH but if you know how to use your damage mitigation then you can probably try sticking with your current build.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks guys. Shall get me a Knight Hammer so it can be ok for WvW and if needed PvE (might even stretch to an ascended one). Water it is to go on that then.
    current build is 1Hstrength sword build, hawks so will need wholesale change - will probably go AH until I get used to it. And get me some runes of the soldier to help with my shouts.
    3 sets of armour, Saf - zerk, knights and soldier? I think I will just stick with my zerk stuff for PvE and soldier for WvW. Not sure I need the knights, can always drop in a piece of soldier if I need tankiness.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    3 sets of armour, Saf - zerk, knights and soldier?
    Yep. Sometimes use knight's for the trickier high-level fractals.

Looking at re-speccing my guardian now he's at level 80, was considering (looked at GW2 grandmaster) either a condi greatsword build: http://guildwars2grandmaster.com/bui...ns-greatsword/

Or a Boon/survivability build for WvW shenanigans, using a greatsword in PVE to inflict reasonable damage.
    http://guildwars2grandmaster.com/builds/guardian-boons/

Has anyone tried either? I levelled as a burning guardian and then later a Spriit weapon guardian and enjoyed setting fire to things.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I wouldn't recommend building for conditions on a guardian, most condition builds are for classes that can focus on bleed and the guardian has just 1 damaging condition which competes with everyone else for the 1 burning spot on an enemy.

You'll end up doing less damage than a normal damage build and not really bring anything else to the party.

I'm not a WvW player so I wont comment on that but for PVE you have a few good options.

Right handed strength builds are currently top for pure damage using a 1h sword and focus, can be build either very squishy and high damage or more balanced. I currently run this with pure of voice as well so I get mass condition>boon conversion for the party as well as good damage.

Greatsword/Hammer builds are popular in fractals and hard PVE content whilst doing a little less damage than RHS they bring some nice utility and a bit better AoE.

Symbol hammer builds are a little further down this line with a bit less damage again but are able to keep melee characters topped off for healing and perma protection. The most traditional paladin archtype.

All of these builds run as much zerker gear as you're comfortable with and knights/soldier gear taking up the other slots if you want to be less squishy.

[edit] Oh and on the burny side, all of these builds have a fair bit of fire. RHS spams virtue of justice for constant burning/blinds/vulnerability as long as you keep killing and to various degrees all builds run purging flames/hallowed ground for extra party buffs + fire damage.
    Last edited by apricotsoup; 12-11-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Do you have any sort of recommendations for skills and traits? I like the 2h weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Condi guardian is pretty much unviable because (a) you can only apply one damaging condition natively and (b) your burns will likely get overwritten by others who have low condition damage. I did read recently that they want to make it viable, but in order for that to happen we'll have to get access to other conditions.

Note that both of those builds are quite old now.

0-0-30-30-10 is a very safe (too safe) option. 10-0-20-30-10 is a better variant. The Honor line has some good traits, Valor not so much. 10 points in Zeal is popular for the extra damage to burning foes. The 5-point trait in Virtues shouldn't be missed, IMO. Empowering Might is great, and Two Handed Mastery is good if you're using, well, two-handed weapons.

I think for max DPS most people would spec into Radiance for Powerful Blades and Right Hand Strength.

Another option is to spec into symbols and concentrate on hammer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    This is a build for damage and condition removal: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...uardian-build/
    This is for damage and defense: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ammers-in-pve/
    This is for damage and damage: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...s-build-guide/
    All of these builds are still fine in PvE, although Empowering Might is falling out of favor. The site you posted is seriously outdated. At this point in time burning and spirit weapon guardians are synonymous with joke builds.

We can probably do a rundown of useful traits and skills, like Master of Consecrations, how to use Aegis, things like that. Might update the OP too/make a new thread with that.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 12-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.