Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Just wanted to poke my head in and say I have been playing a Guardian for a week now and having a whole heap of fun. Will read through the thread later to get as much as I can out of it

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Blimey - hammer guardians in wvw must be annoying - almost more so than warrior ones

Yes, tanky and surviving but because I care more about surviving longer to help the dungeon or wvw zerg with BOONS. Soloing is not this characters forte.

Rip into it here:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJAW...eAFRrWKATUGB-e
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

You might want to consider bringing consecrations on your skillbar if you're traiting into them. Having said that, Consecrated Ground is one of the most fun traits in the entire game, turning Sanctuary and Wall of Reflection into amazing trolling skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    You might want to consider bringing consecrations on your skillbar if you're traiting into them. Having said that, Consecrated Ground is one of the most fun traits in the entire game, turning Sanctuary and Wall of Reflection into amazing trolling skills.
    Gah, yeah sorry - the one I copied and changed - I had then forgotten to do the skills

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQJAW...eAFRrWKATUGB-e
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Without going into gear choices, I would personally go with Hallowed Ground over Purging Flames most of the time (it can be swapped around according to the situation at hand of course), since Stability is such a big deal in WvW. Retreat isn't really needed either in a group setting because of staff + tons of air field blasting going on. Hold the Line and Stand Your Ground would be better choices in my opinion.

aye on stability - its one of those slightly more eye opening bits of how to play a good support guardian for a given situation - where as my warrior just goes in hitting every time
    Will be interesting to say the least in terms of getting to know it better. Definitely going with staff and hammer though. Should be fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Please don't use this build in dungeons. Use one of these instead: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ardian-for-PVE

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I 2nd Malawi's comment, if you want a support/boon duration guardian that doesn't die try this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQJAW...2boIa1SBYiyI-e

obviously can swap to PTV for WvW; also remember to swap Empowering Might for 2 Handed mastery in that case.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

You guys are so massively focussed on singular dps...

Pssst, use what you feel comfortable with and find people to run dungeons with who don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    I 2nd Malawi's comment, if you want a support/boon duration guardian that doesn't die try this:

Don't use this in dungeons either. I don't want to repeat the basics of the class every page of this thread, but guardians deliver boons to the party even in a full DPS build and have high active defenses to begin with. Altruistic healing is bad even as a defensive crutch and you'd be better off with knight's armor and signet of judgment with an offensive build if you feel surviving is too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Don't use this in dungeons either. I don't want to repeat the basics of the class every page of this thread, but guardians deliver boons to the party even in a full DPS build and have high active defenses to begin with. Altruistic healing is bad even as a defensive crutch and you'd be better off with knight's armor and signet of judgment with an offensive build if you feel surviving is too hard.
    I totally get the idea of being able to multi task - and it could well end that way once I know it better but even now a year in I still fuck up my simple warrior skills and I only survive sometimes with 20k of health but I am often found checking out the floor. For me... the amount of time i'd save still being alive with higher hp and still being able cond remove and boon give will be far far better let alone possible with pvt gear and a tanky build. Maybe in time I can get better at still hitting while maintaining my assistance and I will switch gear but I am in no way good enough to do both and not have a fall back of enough health atm. Some bosses can easily remove 10-15 k within a short time and if I was playing a "support" role I would feel worse for needing to be rezzed (so often) than if I was the genuine sole cause of an extra 2 minutes on killing a boss (while presumably still keeping everyone alive).

I do get your logic but don't hate me for (still) being crap and yet wanting to dungeon with RPS with that build. Plus I am still running high power with lots of retaliation so there is a default dmg I can do back even without trying! Which tbh is a boon for me (pun intended

You should probably actually run dungeons with your guardian before you start thinking about survivability, especially if you're using hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    You should probably actually run dungeons with your guardian before you start thinking about survivability, especially if you're using hammer.
    Well hey, he's still only level 20 anyway but given the scarcity of pvt armour - ac/hotw and wvw tokens - It's unlikely i'd instantly be able to get that armour anyway so likely go half way house - it could be I am not as crap as I fear and it's all good and bacon airways will get off the ground.

I suspect you'll be verbally updated at times on my success at multi tasking
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 29-01-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Pssst, use what you feel comfortable with and find people to run dungeons with who don't mind.
    I'm a big advocate of playing the way you want to play; however building a guardian designed to afk for 5 mins in the middle of WvW zerg isnt' much use in a dungeon, and you could run my suggestion with Knights armour if you are that worried about dying.
    And I'll still run dungeons with Cheeky even if I do roundly abuse him for doing no damage

If you are really looking for the extra boon duration Monkey, you could run this and swap the zerker stuff to knights if you're worried about survivability. But don't underestimate the usefulness of Empowering Might in a dungeon. (if you have enough precision)

Other than that, read Malawi's link, he's usually right, I can't be bothered though.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Well we'll see how long I last, but he's 73 atm with more crafting to do so should be 80 soon enough and going with zerker build...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Which zerker build? Hammer, GS or sword?
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    Which zerker build? Hammer, GS or sword?
    GS I think with a view to how hammer can work too as the swap over.

Does anyone run full scholar runes btw? I can't for the life of me think how i'd ever last at >90% heath for over a 1/4 of the times especially if not ranged...

as a slight aside - I am pretty sure I used to be able to make scholar runes on my tailor - have they changed that or was it reset (my discover that is) when they reset exotics for ascended crafting?

edit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vUAQNAR...RUtPBjUARMMC-e
    is my build link. Unlikely atm to bother with ascended armours for this chap.
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 19-03-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I suspect it is just the discovery reset, no recipe needed or anything. Expensive lodestones needed though.
    I am the same, not going to waste 20g on a set of runes that offer only marginal benefit over ruby orbs due to me taking too much damage... Rune changes may well hit ruby orbs hard (the 2% crit damage will turn into +14 ferocity on each, and ANet have said they want to reward people more for taking a full set. Probably best to wait to see the effects of the rune changes...
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet