Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    currently running Ogre runes on my thief since scholars are so expensive, and yes you can craft them from your tailor - just need Charged lodestones.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    currently running Ogre runes on my thief since scholars are so expensive, and yes you can craft them from your tailor - just need Charged lodestones.
    think it must have reset the "discovery" therefore when they added ascended armour in - cool as I have a few of them [I checked wiki]. If ever there is something i'd like out of an api is being able to check my bank for items when not in game...

edit: read back a page and saw xan had spoken - I can transmogrify ruby gems atm for "free" so will go that option till runes are more organised.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    There is no "oh, I don't know if I'll be above 90%, so..." with Scholar runes. They're the best and that's all you need to know. The damage increase is significant and the more damage modifiers you have the better they are. Second choice is Ranger because the bonus is active all the time, but they might very well fix that soon. You can use Ogre too, but rune summons can be annoying. Ruby orbs are terrible.

However even though I have Scholar sets on all of my characters, with the feature patch so close I'd just wait before buying more expensive runes unless you're going to marathon dungeons all month.

Edit: Also keep in mind that in parties without a warrior for banners and fury you might be better off putting the last 5 points from Virtues into Radiance for Right-Hand Strength. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit2: Economically speaking, you might want to rethink your choice of food.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 19-03-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Gah, can I ever even slightly please this guy... I guess if you cater for precision bonuses elsewhere or natively you have enough then I can see why the extra damage would just be overwhelming... We'll see I guess.

Food wise was left over from the link you'd sent. I'd more likely go with steak n asparagus i think - or pieces around that price range at least for the norm.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    There is no "oh, I don't know if I'll be above 90%, so..." with Scholar runes. They're the best and that's all you need to know.
    Sure there is. I seem to remember that you have to be above 90% health for about 20-25% of the time in order to make the damage bonus worthwhile (compared to taking some other rune, I guess.) That's a pretty low bar, of course...
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

No, that's knowing too much. Keeping up the bonus should not be on your mind during play.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    No, that's knowing too much. Keeping up the bonus should not be on your mind during play.
    I think perhaps this is the common misconception with the rune set. If I am reading correctly - the extra damage you get from the bonuses of 1-5 on even a reasonable - properly configured player is *that* much better than anything else - adding a controlling factor of you must be in the this 25% 90% health range is a red herring of sorts. If you can play in that zone for 100% of the time, the extra dmg will be even more telling.

That about right?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I've been using scholars for many months now on my guardian and have payed attention during fights, there are very few encounters where health is consistently below 90%. It usually comes in spikes after which you heal yourself up pretty quick with heals, virtues and regen from various sources so you should fairly easily stay above the magic 90% for more than enough time to make it worthwhile.

But as said, you really do not need to pay attention to your hp constantly and just focus on healing as you normally would with any gear set.

You might laugh at the concept now, but once a Guardian bought all the correct Burn-centric Runes and Sigils, Condition Duration food, full Ascended Dire Gear and learned detailed knowledge of how the Burn ticks are applied in relation to every possible encounter, they'll have spent a lot of time and gold to achieve absolutely nothing.
    [DnT] Brazil's Condition Damage Guardian Build
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Had fun with two zerker guards, one tankier cleric build(?), warrior and a mesmer doing ac3 yesterday. FAR too much keyboard typing went on just as the big spidey was activated so there was a little flurry of floor checking but overall we didn't team wipe and actually took kholer down so smoothly, you could have used it in a water slide park without water.

Scholar runes do appear to be the shizzle though and it doesn't take much to watch where your health is v virtues and health runes etc. Might need to start using maintenance oils rather than stones but it's around the 50% chance level which isn't too shabby.

Burning is OP, nerf burning pls.

Does anyone have a good roaming Guardian build?? I could really use help with a WvW guardian roaming build...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Sincerely,

King Erinvale

Does anyone have a good roaming Guardian build?? I could really use help with a WvW guardian roaming build...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Sincerely,

King Erinvale

there seems to be a fair bit of randomness about what is best for a wvw guardian... I hate options

So er... Hammer is best DPS? Am I reading this right?
    http://i.imgur.com/6PliRzi.png

Hammer/greatsword was comparable to other DPS builds before the patch as well. I don't know if this is pure hammer or a rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    So er... Hammer is best DPS? Am I reading this right?
    http://i.imgur.com/6PliRzi.png
    Dat lightfield spam though.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-for-PVE/first - this has been updated and not much has changed iirc.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Having tested it and with things like writ of persistance I think it's the pure hammer build as opposed to a rotation.

I was running it with shield/focus for a little extra survivability when needed.

GS/Hammer is probably still better than pure hammer, I don't know why that wasn't calculated.