Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

BF4 to be "modern day" themed

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/13/ba...odern-warfare/

Battlefield 4 sticking to modern warfare

by Alexander Sliwinski
    Battlefield 4 will be set in modern times, DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson revealed at GDC Europe today. The game, which was announced with no pomp last month, will have a beta sometime next year, but little else has been revealed. However, with a lag time of six years between Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3, why did the studio go with Battlefield 4 so quickly instead of heading back to Bad Company?

"There's a lot of things inspiring us as to how the franchise will move on. Everything from fans' feedback, to market research and, of course, what we want to build ourselves. It's not just one single thing," said Troedsson, continuing with a hint of sarcasm. "And, yes, I know Battlefield 4 is probably the most creative name we ever could come up with. I can't comment any more on that games because it's all secret."

However, he did go on to say, "We still want to stay in this genre, the modern day as it is. We feel this is a place we can be and continue with the series. Battlefield 4 can live in this space and be very successful."

Hinting, in conclusion, "That doesn't mean there might not be a Bad Company game again in the future."

I often defend DICE and I don't think BF4 is too soon a release after BF3, yet I can't help but feel disappointed by this news.

I know it would be near impossible in today's shooter world to do a game without thousands of weapons and unlocks. BF1942 by today's standards would sadly be called "content light." What is more, a 2143 would look like a "Me too" title with the announced theme for BLOPS2, Planetside, Firefall, Tribes, and Ghost Recon Online.

Somehow it just feels like with this being the same theme, we are just getting another evolution of BF2 but without a new engine. Yet, I am okay with Borderlands 2 being roughly the same, but L4D2 pissed me off. No one complains about ArmA 3 being basically the same thing (where they will sell national armies like Sims 3 DLC).

For some reason, all I can muster about this game is a feeling that whatever is made is purely based on what will fit on a current generation console disc and because they couldn't revise broken systems and maps in BF3 entirely without a 5-9 gig patch they have decided to go BF4, which will in turn have a different pile of issues.

Are we at the point where we need subscriptions to AAA shooters just so they will finish the things rather than making the same thing over again?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Combined by the misgivings I have about 3 and the fact this is again set in a contemporary setting, DICE will have to really pull something out of nowhere to get me interested in this. I don't see what I want to be happening happening.

It's worse though when you consider that a DX11 1942 or 2142 would be utterly amazing. What a damn shame.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

battlefield is becoming the new CoD. /Endthread.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

I wanted a 2143 so bad, this is so disappointing :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Still sticking with BF2, the last game where you don't have to unlock fundamental stuff. 2142 had a few good mods I gather.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Did you even play bf1942? Content light? It had way more maps and the mod support (DC mod,forgotten hope, action battlefield) gave the game years and years worth of content.

DC mod has more vehicles than bf3 does after all the dlc and had way WAY WAY WAY (way way way way) way better vehicle physics. (and it was free)

Sauce:
    http://megagames.com/patches/desert-combat-07-full
    http://realtimerendering.com/erich/b...hiclelist.html

Content light my ass.

Bf3 was content light: no c130, no bomber planes, far less maps (much smaller too), it took 50 euros of dlc just to bring the map count and vehicle count up to vanilla bf1942. (and still no bomber planes)

BF1942 gave me 4 years of gaming, well over a thousand hours.
    I was done and bored with bf3 after less than 100.
    Last edited by Finicky; 13-08-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    battlefield is becoming the new CoD. /Endthread.
    That is a weird argument:

COD has had 3 modern day shooters so far. BF series has had 4 (BF2, BC1, BC2, BF3).

COD had 4 WW2 shooters (COD1 (and COD:UO expansion), COD2, COD3, COD:W@W). BF had 2 (though 1.5 really for the size of 1943) 1942 and 1943.

Blops is future or alternate history... hard to place really.

You could also say BF is becoming the new Counterstrike...except with more content. (4 modern day shooter games in a row.)

or BF is becoming the new ArmA (3 in a row with ArmA 3)... 4 if you counter Operation Flashpoint as part of the series.

Crysis is going to have 3 "near future" games in a row...4 if you count Warhead as a separate game.

I think the disappointment in the BF series is because of that glory era from BF1942-BF2142 where each and every iteration was a new theme. Everything since BF2142 has been a theme they have used before. I kinda wish they would take that enthusiasm they generated for BC2 Vietnam and turn it into a full game...but like I said, I think they have no idea how to have as many weapons and unlocks in a game like that. RO2 showed that historical communities won't support taking that many liberties with historical unlocks (COD:W@W was much the same way and was largely less popular than COD4).

Maybe the better question to ask is: "Are full scale BF games limited to only modern or near future games now?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    There are ways to make the contemporary setting interesting and original. DICE doesn't even need to be very creative, they just have to switch TV's on for a moment and see what happens in the world. Russian VDV fighting USMC over a patch of forest somewhere in Caspian basin? Thats never going to happen, thankfully. Now look at Libiya, Egypt, Syria, 2006 Israel-Hizbolla war, Cast Lead, Yemen, 2008 Russia-Georgia war.

What I want to see:

0) Setting is something local, some parts of Africa, ME, Asia, whatever, just don't jump all over the globe
    1) Israel, show some goddamn IDF or Zahal or whatever, I'm not asking for Mossad combat pigeons
    2) Civil War should be shown how it actually is, not in a Star Wars-ish way, please, it's serious buisness
    3) Religion of Peace guys shouting ALLAHUACKBAR, shooting things up and cutting heads and they are your allies, the moderate ones of course, they cut heads sparingly
    4) Media's role in War shown in single player. Or better in MP too, add some "neutral"(lol) Military Journalist class or Combat Twitterer class or something.
    5) I wants less shiny tacticool gadgets and more improvised stuff, it's not like only Taliban make IED's, VBIED's, Kassams, tacticals and booby traps.
    6) Let me customize my soldier guy. I want to play as a black dude when I want to, not when I choose Assault Kit.

Proposed BF 4 cover art:

Last edited by coldvvvave; 13-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Meh. They could've gone with 2143 instead
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    People were pretty disappointing with Battlefield 3 so it surprises me they continue doing exactly the same, people won't buy it if it's just BF3-2. The same with just a new maps, like some super DLC map pack of 60 bucks.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    people won't buy it if it's just BF3-2.
    If it's good and has enough content, why not?

Banned
    2142 was pretty much the pinnacle of Battlefield series.

Only logical it would be completely ignored.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I mean COD brings out the same game all the time and people seem to buy that in their millions, look we all know what this is this is EAs COD competitor and there making it as competitive as they want it by bringing out the same game every few years and giving people what they want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    People were pretty disappointing with Battlefield 3
    Quality-wise, certainly questionable. Sales-wise? It was the highest grossing and volume selling BF by a long, long margin. The most before that? BC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    2142 was pretty much the pinnacle of Battlefield series. Only logical it would be completely ignored.
    There was a long thread on the official EAUK forums (notable because many devs read and posted in it) about how to do a contemporary modern day Titan mode. So many fantastic ideas. Instead, we got Operation Métro.