Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another challenger appears: Ubisoft's Uplay now a digital distribution

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/16/ub...ancisco-are-1/

Everyone's jumping on the digital distribution bandwagon aren't they?

No word on whether or not it has a working offline mode which I believe should be a cause for some skepticism. And hot on the trail of that disastrous security breach too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, this was the plan when they originally launched Uplay, they just took a long time to implement it. I can't say I'm thrilled, given how shit Uplay generally is, though at least its offline mode seems to work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    For a buck a game, I'll give HAWX 2 a shot. And they let me pay through Paypal, so at least the company in charge of security knows that a single breach could ruin them.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    No word on whether or not it has a working offline mode which I believe should be a cause for some skepticism. And hot on the trail of that disastrous security breach too.
    Man, you just had to mention always online and the storm in a teacup security "breach".
    As if their competition has reliable offline modes lol

That's part of the reason I did bring it up - it would be a huge plus for them if their offline mode really works and I'd immediately take them much more seriously.

And any kind of security issue in a game client that's described as "a backdoor thread to a users' PC" is definitely not something to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Man, you just had to mention always online and the storm in a teacup security "breach".
    As if their competition has reliable offline modes lol
    Just because one man is punching me in the face doesn't mean I can't wish for a second man to not be kicking me in the groin at the same time.

Driver: San Fransisco is still 19.99?
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1969 View Post
    Driver: San Fransisco is still 19.99?

Hawx for a dollar seems fair enough.

I'll bite, or at least consider doing so.
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

I tried buying hawx2. Everything went fine, went to paypal, bought the game and I was sent to a page saying that everything went ok, that I would be recieving a confirmation mail shortly.
    That was an hour ago a no news of the game. Is this normal or is Ubi just messing with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I tried buying hawx2. Everything went fine, went to paypal, bought the game and I was sent to a page saying that everything went ok, that I would be recieving a confirmation mail shortly.
    That was an hour ago a no news of the game. Is this normal or is Ubi just messing with me?
    I bought Hawx2 from them yesterday and recieved an email immediately (I was using a credit card though).

Honestly, the game isn't worth it. Sure the games probably worth more than a dollar, but it's certainly not worth your time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yay, another game company that want my credit card details, username and password.

I am sure theres not problem with that, because game companies never get hacked :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Wel, at least it's a good thing that there is more competition in the digital distribution field. Problem being that buying PC games in the future will mean having an account with literally every publsiher/dev out there.
    I really don't know if I want some games so badly to register on hundret different services. I think it's time for some kind of unified login (no, not Facebook the old data crawler) to use for such services. But that's most likely never gonna happen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Gave it a shot, bought hawx 2 for a euro.
    -It took 6 hours for the game to appear in my games list (paid with paypal and instantly got payment confirmation email).
    -It's not showing driver SF in my games list, which is registered to the same email account (bought on steam) and requires Uplay to play...

No thanks ubisoft, your shit sucks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Wait, HoMM VI has an expansion?

Sincerely, I don't have high hopes for Uplay. Those seem like nice deals, though. Any idea if I should be getting Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Shaun White Skateboarding or Conviction? Haven't tried any of those, and they'll be pretty cheap with those discounts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Settlers 7 is awfully tempting, but can my intelligence and restraint overcome my avarice and collector compulsion? It is Ubi.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    Sincerely, I don't have high hopes for Uplay. Those seem like nice deals, though. Any idea if I should be getting Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Shaun White Skateboarding or Conviction? Haven't tried any of those, and they'll be pretty cheap with those discounts.
    Splinter Cell Conviction was actually my third favorite Splinter Cell. It isn't a "classic" Splinter Cell, but it is still pretty fun and had a lot of the spirit (sort of like comparing R6: Vegas to a real R6 game). I don't know what 75% off will equate to, but the game is definitely worth 10 bucks. I would price it at 20. It loses a lot because it will be unplayable when Ubi's servers go down seeing as it actually streams content from Ubi's servers (even the cracked version does).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Splinter Cell Conviction was actually my third favorite Splinter Cell. It isn't a "classic" Splinter Cell, but it is still pretty fun and had a lot of the spirit (sort of like comparing R6: Vegas to a real R6 game). I don't know what 75% off will equate to, but the game is definitely worth 10 bucks. I would price it at 20. It loses a lot because it will be unplayable when Ubi's servers go down seeing as it actually streams content from Ubi's servers (even the cracked version does).
    Well that's... Not cool. Not cool at all. But, well, 2'50€ ain't that much, so... I guess I'll give it a go.