Secondary Hivemind Nexus

New Company of Heroes 2 screens. What are people impressions of the game so far?

Just saw these online. Haven't really followed much of the game so far regardless of the first one being one of my favorite strategy games. What are fans impressions of the new info, gameplay and so on for it?

Source
    http://pixeljudge.com/en/news/compan...w-screenshots/

http://pixeljudge.com/file/7330Compa...nAdvance_1.jpg
    Last edited by SephKing; 18-08-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Network Hub
    Not really a fan, but based on my impressions of CoH 1 so far (just started playing), I would hope "2" gets UI improvements and polish. And though this would substantially change the game, I think it could also use more sophisticated unit AI and tweaked mechanics. Stuff like microing a jeep over an infantry squad to repeatedly drive them out of cover, exiting and re-entering houses to interrupt grenade attack animations, manually having to order dudes to "cover" of a fence when they are standing right next to the fence to begin with are not great fits with the WWII theme, IMO. Ability to zoom out further would also be good seeing how the game has some quite long range weapons.

Cold mechanics sound potentially interesting. Dunno if there is any more info out on what it means in practice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I still play CoH1, and have been following CoH2 from Relicnews.com.

My impressions: Yesplz.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I was playing CoH1 up until this year, though mostly just with the same group of friends(and then it was often comp stomps), but I love the game. Even if CoH2 is just a reskin of CoH1 my impressions would still be the same.

In other words - GIMME GIMME GIMME! But give us Homeworld 3 right after, ok? Please?

Banned
    I'm cautious about the hypothermia mechanics. It sounds good in the campaign, but I don't know how people will react to it in the MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I'm cautious about the hypothermia mechanics. It sounds good in the campaign, but I don't know how people will react to it in the MP.
    Assuming it is in the multiplayer.

Interesting factoids:

- One preview mentioned that squads stay warm when in foxholes thanks to one soldier being designated as a firestarter.
    - Another preview pointed out that Russia has a unique method of reinforcement, where while the original sides reinforced their squads through halftracks and field HQs, Soviets can reinforce through a cheap conscript squad that can be made to reinforce proper squads much like the original sides recrewed abandoned weapons.
    - The same preview also points out that, in comparison to the original sides, Soviets over-man weapons, so you'll have six soldiers towing around a heavy machinegun, rather than the usual three.
    Last edited by Nalano; 19-08-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Some nice info there. I've only read about CoH2 on RPS and there lack of interest in strategy titles really shows in their previews. There is a real lack of details on the game mechanics, instead focusing on atmosphere and themes. All juicy stuff, but RTS games can play so differently and Relic have shown they are not afraid to make massive changes in sequels that I am left still unsure on how the game will actually play.

I'm still looking forward to this one though. I quite enjoyed the original, but never got the chance to really get into it on the multiplayer. I hope we get to see some footage soon, hopefully with some videos in the style of the Blizzard Battle Reports. They might be incredibly staged, but they give a really good sense of the way the game plays.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am very much looking forward to this. I still feel CoH1 holds up incredibly nicely to this day, so I'm excited to see what they're doing, especially considering they said they'd keep the feel of CoH1 (I wouldn't want a DoW2-esque sequel to CoH).

Banned
    Textures look low. Will assume that will be fixed.

Otherwise, same old, same old. SO GIMMIE

I really enjoyed the CoH1 campaign, but after playing a bunch of skirmishes got fed up with the level of cross-map macroing required to not get completely paulverized. My favorite missions were those where you'd only manage like 2-3 squads of tactical units (i.e. rangers + sniper + mortar), trying to navigate a city, flank enemies, push them out of cover etc. The big-scale battles are just were too much for me, especially considering the vastly different playstyles and strategies employed by the different factions. But then again, I've never been a huuuge RTS fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wuchunghaoau View Post
    All juicy stuff, but RTS games can play so differently and Relic have shown they are not afraid to make massive changes in sequels that I am left still unsure on how the game will actually play.
    I think it's pretty safe to say it's not DoW2.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I think it looks great and im looking forward to be a happy fat little gamer :)