Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    The basic gameplay of both Mirror's Edge and Oni are one-of-a-kinds. I don't neccesarily want actual sequels to the games (ME's story was a bit meh, and Oni' was good but there's no reason to continue it, it's quite finished as it is), but I want more games like them.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing
    I'd love to see an action game incorporate a melee system as complex and rewarding as the one from ONI. So fed up with games like Batman, Sleeping Dogs etc where most fights are about hitting one button to attack and hitting another to counter when you're promted. As far as i'm concerned, ONI has the best melee combat system in a game.
    So very true.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Spell memorization.
    Like Magicka?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    I'd love to see an action game incorporate a melee system as complex and rewarding as the one from ONI.
    BTW, is there any reasonable way to buy Oni these days and does it run on modern comps/OSs? I checked GoG, Steam and Gamersgate already.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    http://www.amazon.com/Oni-Playstatio...1&keywords=oni PS2 version has 11 copies on amazon, the pc version exists there too but seems to be extremely expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I wouldn't choose the buddy system from Far Cry 2. I preferred the way it handled health and healing yourself.
    I liked the combination of the two mechanics myself; you 'die' and your buddy rescues you, then he provides cover fire while you hide behind a tree and crack some bones back into place. It made for some spectacular firefights.

Far Cry 2 has some of the best combat I've ever seen in an FPS, it's just a shame that there's a little too much of it.

A mechanic I'd like to see replicated is the 'nano forge' mechanic from Red Faction: Armageddon.

The game has destructible scenery, but you have a gadget that can repair structures back to their original state, which basically allows you to create your own cover out of thin air in the middle of combat.

I think it would be a great addition to an FPS type of game.

I want more of Driver: San Francisco Shift mechanic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Speaking of combat systems:
    Die by the sword mouse control. God that was hilarious.
    Dead Island and Too Human have analog melee and you can enable it for mouse too in Dead Island.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Spell memorization.
    Vancian magic is a somewhat flawed mechanic, but it does feel more magic-y than most alternatives. Proper magic should have a cost. More rituals and reagents, please.

Network Hub
    3-dimensional combat in an RTS game that actually matters. Like in the Homeworld games. Flying/burrowing units in most RTS games don't count, because they're still technically on the same plane as everything else. They just have an attribute that makes them have extra defenses against certain units. There's no real ability to maneuver higher or lower in those games, which is what I want to see return. Of course, this limits you to basically just doing a space-themed RTS, but then I'd like to see a few more of them as well.

Even Sins of a Solar Empire doesn't have a true Z-axis. Sure, if you zoom in on combat you'll see ships climb and dive, and ships might line up in a stacked formation, but you have no control over their movement on the Z-axis and it holds no actual bearing on anything. It's just there for show.

Network Hub
    The real-time conversation system from Alpha Protocol should probably get a mention here.

Obscure Node
    Turn-based, tactical RPGs like Wizardry 8.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I wouldn't choose the buddy system from Far Cry 2. I preferred the way it handled health and healing yourself.
    FC2's system was the better blend between regenerating health and non-regen. Both regenerating health and non-regenerating health systems on their own are ridiculous; the former makes no sense at all, while the latter leads to medkits being strewn around like breadcrumbs as if they've gone out of their way to save you. FC2's system of each "block" regenerating provided it wasn't fully depleted was a good compromise.

Alternatively, have "suppression" which regenerates and actual health, which doesn't. And ditch finding medkits unless you find them and carry them with you.

I'd like to see movement skills return to fps games.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Speaking of combat systems:
    Die by the sword mouse control. God that was hilarious.
    This - with gesture based magic and a quest as long as Dark Messiah's = an ideal game for me! Co-op multi in a DMed world like Neverwinter Nights would be wonderful.

Banned
    Dungeon Master... everything, really.

Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    I can't remember that. How did it work?
    you could use the environment to damage people, such as pushing them into spiked walls etc.

Ed: (we're talking about Dark Messiah)

If there's one thing I'd have to choose from Far Cry 2 that I'd love to see re-used, it's fire. The simple fact that you could set fire to grass, trees and buildings and that the fire spread by itself (albeit not very far) created a whole new tactical layer on top of the FPS. Enemies taking cover behind a fence? Throw a Molotov in the general direction, setting fire to the grass and forcing the baddies out of their cover. Or you could block an escape route like that.

It also looked really good. It only should've been just a little more persistent and spread a little farther (obviously, not too far or else it would've been ridiculous as you'd have set fire to the entire map (but then again... that would've been awesome)), but even as it was it was a great thing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I'd like to see movement skills return to fps games.
    Seconded, and make that "any skills besides aiming".
    FPSs are doing ridiculously little innovating and differentiating themselves, considering how much competition they have. How about infiltrators who can't really kill anything, but have an array of special skills for evasion, and spot targets for their team's heavy artillery? Commanders who play the game in tactical view and have support abilities? Long term area denial (think gas or long artillery barrage)? Heavy weapons with which suppressing fire is actually effective so that opponents *must* flank? Fantasy weapons which are more complicated than hitscan or simple projectile, and have duration effects so that they can interact with other weapons and create traps and mindgames? Say: instant-spawning gun turrets. A glue gun which slows enemies. Ultra slow, BFG-like area effect projectiles. Hallucinogen grenades which are not just a weak flashbang but present a functionally distorted version of reality (seeing stuff that isn't there, etc.). Thrown beacons which are highly visible and can be destroyed, but call a mini artillery strike on themselves in 7 seconds if not destroyed, rewarding deception and prediction of where an opponent will be in the future.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Turn based games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Hallucinogen grenades which are not just a weak flashbang but present a functionally distorted version of reality (seeing stuff that isn't there, etc.).
    TFC had these little capsules that did that; it'd randomly make it look like you were being damaged and occasionally spawned ghost projectiles or players (IIRC). But it didn't work - people ignored it, because it was easy to ignore and work through. Players just learn the effect and work around it.